Formal Attire on Longer Cruises?

On our previous Regent cruises my husband wore black dress pants and a white sport jacket that looked a lot like a summer dinner jacket.  It worked fine every time.  I shop a lot at Macy's and Belk's online here in Alabama because their mens clothing is crazy cheap.  I mostly do the dressy pants and fancy tops change out with one or two long skirts for variety.

The one thing this thread is doing is giving me new online shopping places to check out:classic_biggrin:  Our TA and many of their female clients shop at Chico's - lots of mix and match pieces.  

Remember that the majority of men (and perhaps women too) do not dress formally on "Formal Optional" nights.  People that enjoy dressing formally do so while the majority of women just wear a fancy blouse (sometimes glittery) with pants or a skirt and the men wear a long sleeved dress shirt and pants (some with jackets - some wear suits).  Then there are passengers that want to dress down as much as the policy permits and will wear polo shirts and chinos or some such thing.  While I understand that the policy permits this, I cannot help but wonder why the shirts and pants could not at least be ironed and neat looking.  After all, there are irons on the ship!

Travelcat2

i order online from Chico’s, they have a wonderful Travelers clothing line that is perfect for cruising and does not wrinkle.  I am already shopping for our first Regent TA onboard the Splendor in April 2020.  

I also, want to thank you for your very helpful post as a newbie with Regent but have many cruises under our belts.  

• Like 1

I aways shop at Chico’s. Best design and fit for my age. Always shop in stores. I don’t do online clothes shopping. 

Travelers tops and pants for evening, jeans and tops for daytime and weeekender collection for casual outfits. Just bought a great travel purse there. 

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

On 3/15/2019 at 11:07 AM, Travelcat2 said:

The one thing this thread is doing is giving me new online shopping places to check out:classic_biggrin:  Our TA and many of their female clients shop at Chico's - lots of mix and match pieces.  

Remember that the majority of men (and perhaps women too) do not dress formally on "Formal Optional" nights.  People that enjoy dressing formally do so while the majority of women just wear a fancy blouse (sometimes glittery) with pants or a skirt and the men wear a long sleeved dress shirt and pants (some with jackets - some wear suits).  Then there are passengers that want to dress down as much as the policy permits and will wear polo shirts and chinos or some such thing.  While I understand that the policy permits this, I cannot help but wonder why the shirts and pants could not at least be ironed and neat looking.  After all, there are irons on the ship!

Absolutely correct!  Even guys with wrinkled shirts and dockers can be pressed or ironed.  Does not take long.

16 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

Absolutely correct!  Even guys with wrinkled shirts and dockers can be pressed or ironed.  Does not take long.

Your right, but really even though a lot of men don't wear tux's on a formal--I think most of us do wear nice dress slacks and pressed shirt, maybe not a dress shirt, but a very nice dressy shirt.  Although I don't like formal nights Ik not going to be a mess.

And I won't interfere with those in formal wear because I don't attend the Captain's party.

We generally do not dress formally on "Formal Optional" nights (exception was our last cruise when we were celebrating my DH's birthday).  Most people do recognize that Captain's Reception is a special night and dress accordingly.  Even if you chose not to attend, In my opinion, people should dress up - even a little bit (nice slacks and nice long sleeve shirt).

Passengers also tend to dress up more when going to specialty restaurants, the night of the Seven Seas Society cocktail party and the Captain's Farewell.  

3 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Your right, but really even though a lot of men don't wear tux's on a formal--I think most of us do wear nice dress slacks and pressed shirt, maybe not a dress shirt, but a very nice dressy shirt.  Although I don't like formal nights Ik not going to be a mess.

And I won't interfere with those in formal wear because I don't attend the Captain's party.

I’m sure you both will look smartly dressed.

The only time I've taken a tux on a cruise was on a 15 night Christmas cruise on Cunard who had numerous formal nights.  On Regent, I've brought suits in the past but I usually just bring a sport coat or two and I haven't packed a tie in probably 5 years or more.  I'm on vacation - the ties stay home!

No tux on WC for DH. A  Sportcoat or two,  slacks and dress shirts, nice shoes. Tie will be in a suitcase, probably will never be unpacked. He hates ties! I doubt he will even bring a dark suit. You know suit means tie for sure... Another southern man with tie issues!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelwell said:

No tux on WC for DH. A  Sportcoat or two,  slacks and dress shirts, nice shoes. Tie will be in a suitcase, probably will never be unpacked. He hates ties! I doubt he will even bring a dark suit. You know suit means tie for sure... Another southern man with tie issues!

A necktie is nothing more than a pretty noose worn backwards...

I'll wear one when I have to, but I won't like it.   :classic_wink:

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 6:52 PM, Sharle said:

I've never ordered on line. Have not had luck with their dresses. I buy mostly gloria Vanderbilt Jeans and capris, tops, and shoes. Always in the store. Sizes of these are accurate

I've not had good luck with their dresses either, although I admit I don't look very often since I rarely wear them.  I pick up mostly capris and tops as well, and bathing suits.  Mostly at Beall's Outlet--I go to the real Beall's once in a while, but the Outlet is around the corner so I go most Mondays when I'm here in Florida.