CASUAL ELEGANT DINING.....NOT ANYMORE

Barrycat

Just back from a b2b cruise on Star Breeze. First cruise had more young people than the second. First cruise there was more casual attire. Next cruise had older mostly repeat cruisers. Dress was more upscale. Nobody seemed to care what anyone wore. Lots of jeans.

17 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Just back from a b2b cruise on Star Breeze. First cruise had more young people than the second. First cruise there was more casual attire. Next cruise had older mostly repeat cruisers. Dress was more upscale. Nobody seemed to care what anyone wore. Lots of jeans.

So am I right in assuming that you didn't enjoy the segment which had more casual dressers any less than the one with the more upscale dressers? Glad to hear that. No one seemed to care and no one should unless there is a flagrant violation of the dress code. I always joke that a plan blue tuxedo with a ruffled shirt and a red velvet bowtie confirms to the dress code for formalwear but I'd much rather look at someone in a nice pair of jeans and a nice shirt.

• Haha 1

DRIP, DRIP, DRIP 💧 I can hear the erosion of standards all of the way from here. It’s not really a question of if someone is bothered by violation of the published standards, the crucial question is what standards are allowed to be violated and where does it stop. Obviously some people don’t care, I do.

In rough seas, the Star ships roll. Just off a very rough trip. The ship was rocking so much that getting to the bathroom from the bed was horrible. Had to grab on to stay up. My spouse rolled across the bed rather than trying to walk around the bed.  Had the bed been near the window, I would have to crawl. The ships are very unstable. Keep the beds near the bathroom.

Is it a rule or a guideline?

"Just as you would dress at an elegant resort. Clothes that are light and cool, made of natural fabrics like cotton, silk, and linen, are most appropriate. For women's daytime wear, we suggest walking shorts, skirts, sarongs, lightweight tops and cover-ups; for evening wear, sun dresses, pants, and informal cocktail attire. Men's daytime wear: walking/ Bermuda shorts, polo shirts, khaki pants; in the evening, lightweight trousers and short-sleeved dress/polo shirts. No suits or ties. And no shorts, flip-flops, jeans, hats or t-shirts in Amphora or Candles during the evening. "

• Like 1

It’s a guideline for those that don’t care about maintaining some pretty reasonable standards, many of which keep us coming back to Windstar. For those that DO CARE, consider it a rule

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Barrycat said:

DRIP, DRIP, DRIP 💧 I can hear the erosion of standards all of the way from here. It’s not really a question of if someone is bothered by violation of the published standards, the crucial question is what standards are allowed to be violated and where does it stop. Obviously some people don’t care, I do.

Then obviously you should no longer cruise with Windstar. Good luck finding a cruise line that lives up to your standards. The same issues are occurring on Seabourn, Crystal, Regent etc which are luxury lines. And let's not even discuss the mass market lines. You might want to check out Silversea which has the strictest dress code though not nearly what once was. 

• Like 1

Sorry, not my style Wripro, obviously yours. I’d rather try to get it right, not give up.

if you sign on to a Windstar Cruise, or any other for that matter, you are implicitly agreeing to follow the cruise lines policies.  I guess you feel it’s ok to pick and choose what policies don’t apply to you.. That’s the attitude that resulted in jeans and tee shirts in Amphora. 

Im amazed that some don’t see the danger of slipping standards, but my guess is they are the ones causing the slippage.

1 hour ago, Barrycat said:

Sorry, not my style Wripro, obviously yours. I’d rather try to get it right, not give up.

It is "right."  I have no idea what your problem is.  Someone in a t-shirt?  I wouldn't look close enough to notice.  Dress police on cruise ships are more annoying than t-shirts.

• Like 1

This reminds me of the prescriptivists vs descriptivists dictionary wars ... the descriptivists won by a large margin. But, that particular war was much more civilized than the one in this thread in which those upholding standards are not much observing politesse.

Edited by OctoberKat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OctoberKat said:

This reminds me of the prescriptivists vs descriptivists dictionary wars ... the descriptivists won by a large margin. But, that particular war was much more civilized than the one in this thread in which those upholding standards are not much observing politesse.

Ain't it the truth!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Barrycat said:

if you sign on to a Windstar Cruise, or any other for that matter, you are implicitly agreeing to follow the cruise lines policies.  I guess you feel it’s ok to pick and choose what policies don’t apply to you.. That’s the attitude that resulted in jeans and tee shirts in Amphora. 

Im amazed that some don’t see the danger of slipping standards, but my guess is they are the ones causing the slippage.

Exactly how do you plan to get it right? I'd love to know.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 4:08 PM, Barrycat said:

It’s a guideline for those that don’t care about maintaining some pretty reasonable standards, many of which keep us coming back to Windstar. For those that DO CARE, consider it a rule

If the cruise line doesn't enforce it, then it is a guideline. Frankly, I wear what I want and I am comfortable with that. I care about the service and food/drink on board in the restaurants- what other people wear isn't my business.

• Like 1

Windstar has an upscale relaxed feel. Just off Star Breeze. Saw many people wearing jeans in Aamphora. Never saw any shorts during dinner except at the bbq. Never saw anyone looking sloppy. Jeans have become acceptable in most places. People on Windstar dress well. The only time that I saw anyone looking badly was when an excursion returned to the ship at 8 pm. Those guests went straight to dinner. Cannot blame them. After a full day excursion, they were tired and hungry.  The nice part of sailing on Windstar is that guests are comfortable. Unlike the big ship cruises, there are no rigid rules. If you are uncomfortable seeing somebody wearing jeans, think again. Maybe, Windstar is not for you.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My feeling is that if a cruise line has a written dress code, they should enforce it.  If they don't want to enforce it as written, it should be edited to reflect what they will enforce.  This grey zone is what gets peoples hackles up, and rightfully so.

29 minutes ago, ducklite said:

My feeling is that if a cruise line has a written dress code, they should enforce it.  If they don't want to enforce it as written, it should be edited to reflect what they will enforce.  This grey zone is what gets peoples hackles up, and rightfully so.

That's fine in principle, but as dress standards continue to evolve to less formal all written dress codes will always be out of sync with customer behavior.  As Yogi said, "In theory, theory and practice are the same – but in practice, they're different."

58 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That's fine in principle, but as dress standards continue to evolve to less formal all written dress codes will always be out of sync with customer behavior.  As Yogi said, "In theory, theory and practice are the same – but in practice, they're different."

If they are going to set an expectation in writing, than they should enforce it.  If they don't want a dress code, then they should put it in writing.  It will only be out of synch if they don't enforce their written policy.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal to request--and enforce--no jeans in the evening.  My 33 year old son knows enough to put on chinos and a polo to go anyplace nicer than Olive Garden.

20 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

No reason for anyone to "get their hackles up" over what someone else is wearing, in my opinion.  Rushing to the internet to preach because someone wore jeans to dinner?  Really?

Amen!

20 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

No reason for anyone to "get their hackles up" over what someone else is wearing, in my opinion.  Rushing to the internet to preach because someone wore jeans to dinner?  Really?

When I was probably seven years old, if you were invited to a birthday party, you wore a pretty dress, white ankle socks with lace, and patent leather shoes.   I was invited to a classmates party.  I wanted to wear my shorts.  It was a hot day (of course now I know the dress would have probably been cooler.)  My mother told me in no uncertain terms that if I wanted to go to the party, I'd need to change.  Mom won.  I learned a lesson that sometimes you need to do what is asked, or just stay home.

My views have evolved on the issue based on others thoughts. Decided that it's a fools errand to get my panties in a bunch about others attire. Besides frowning and fussing makes wrinkles, and increased cortisol levels with faster aging processes. Our comfort level is what O aims for and maybe O's silence on the clothing issue is their process of evolution too. What people wear is the way it is and it's all good.

• Like 2