Gas Station Food on Vision of the Seas

Cowbert

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Yes, but assume that everything on ship is being recycled including toilet water.  Also, plastic is everywhere from cars to airplanes.  Unless they come up with cardboard or cars bodies.

Ps.  We take  a supply of plastic straws for our sodas.  They are in the process of being banned in all restaurants here in NJ.  It's so funny, RCL got rid of plastic straws but have plastic stirrers for drinks and coffee.  Also, Specialty Coffees Kiosks offer plastic straws to go with their specialty coffees.

We just disembarked from Liberty this morning; the stirrers on board are wood.

2 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Having them wrapped makes it so much easier to pick up from the sandwich tray in the buffet.  :classic_wink:

The issue is wrapped sandwiches in the Park Café and I don't believe the WJ has wrapped sandwiches, the last time I cruised.

We just disembarked Vision yesterday and I have to say the food was the worst we have experienced on RCL. We  have had dinner in the windjammer on several other cruises with no complaints but what they served on Vision was awful.

I didn't however see any packaged sandwiches. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cowbert said:

My Dad & Brother sailed today from New Orleans on Vision of the Seas. My brother emailed this picture of some pre-packaged sandwiches in the Park Cafe.

He referred to this as "gas station" food.  I wouldn't argue with him.  In 42 cruises, I've never seen a pre-fab sandwich wrapped in plastic. They should just put them in a vending machine and be done with it.  The food & beverage manager has clearly given up. I'd be embarrassed to serve this to paying passengers.

GasStationFood.jpg

And if these sandwiches weren't offered at all????

🤔      🤔      🤔      🤔      🤔

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I like when people try to convince us that every single piece of plastic from these gets recycled. 

Go visit the incinerator room. 

Go help the guys that open every bag and sort through every bit.

If you can stand the smell that is...

As an ex-cm I applaud those guys who's job it is and would do it for the rest of us even tho we were all meant to sort our own trash...absolutely one of the worst jobs on the ship!

British line P&O have been doing “grab and go” style pre packed food for ages. It’s convenient for sandwiches and salads to keep them fresh on the go. 

When I was on the Symphony, they had them as well in Park cafe. I didn’t eat them as there was a lot more that appealed to me, but the concept is a good one. 

The packaging looks  plain as they probably don’t have a high tech factory grade packaging machine in the galley

4 hours ago, alfaeric said:

I'm just waiting for all of these complaints to actually lead to cancellations.

Which will result in two benefits for those who are not bothered- lower fees (lower demand) and less crowded lounges (so many come from D and D+ cruisers).  

That's a win-win to me.

OP, please feel free to go someplace else if this is so bad.  I'm totally ok if you do.  

All cruise lines should only be sailing half full with all of the complaint threads started by the highest tiered passengers. Nobody is going anywhere because they have been conditioned like Pavlov's dog.

• Like 1

I bet that they rethink this packaging once everyone catches on that this is a convenient to go lunch in port. I bet people will be lining up and hoarding them in their refrigerator. This is especially good for all of those who take along a collapsible nylon cooler. Yep those room stewards are going to see a lot more request for ice as well. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

I bet that they rethink this packaging once everyone catches on that this is a convenient to go lunch in port. I bet people will be lining up and hoarding them in their refrigerator. This is especially good for all of those who take along a collapsible nylon cooler. Yep those room stewards are going to see a lot more request for ice as well. 

This packaging has been around for several years.

The “gas station” food comes quite handy after coming in from a day in port. Stop by Park Cafe and grab some food and go. I do believe that is what it’s intent is. “Grab and go”. 

The gas station chef’s salad was one of the best chef salads I’ve had. Grabbed a couple of them and carried my food of choice away to my area of choice to eat it. 

Below are “gas station” choices on Symphony of the seas a week ago. 😀

7F510E77-6ADF-4EF8-B2B9-734134FAC71F_zps

5A8D56CE-02B0-4B85-AAE2-685F31F9C3D9_zps

934544FF-AFCB-4832-A11F-440B8BBCF0B5_zps

• Like 5

Are the sandwiches made fresh daily and placed in the plastic gas station containers for freshness, or are the sandwiches premade precruise and delivered onto the ship in the plastic gas station containers and served all week.  If it is the former, I don't have a problem with them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KelJ said:

Are the sandwiches made fresh daily and placed in the plastic gas station containers for freshness, or are the sandwiches premade precruise and delivered onto the ship in the plastic gas station containers and served all week.  If it is the former, I don't have a problem with them.

Actually, according to the hotel officer on Holland's Koningdam, the food served on Royal's ships is, in part, the waste left over each night from Holland American ships.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, rkkunk said:

To get this thread even more off topic, so far now, two people have mentioned taking food off of the ship for excursions in port. I thought that you couldn’t take food off of the ship, or face being fined.

I know you can take off sealed packages foods, like little boxes of Cheerios or bags of chips

Edited by vacationlover_mn

Just now, rkkunk said:

To get this thread even more off topic, so far now, two people have mentioned taking food off of the ship for excursions in port. I thought that you couldn’t take food off of the ship, or face being fined.

Yet people admit to doing it. The only Port that I know of that is really strict is Bermuda.  I have been on roll calls for other lines where people admit to ordering room service the night before and wrapping the sandwich with sandwich wrap that they brought from home. Personally that's too much work and planning for me but I would definitely grab one of those gas station sandwiches after a day in port.

50 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

So why is everyone so horrified? I haven't been on Royal Caribbean in almost 20yrs.

First you talk about people taking them off the ship for lunch.  Now, you're saying people are "horrified".  One poster was bothered by plastic, the OP apparently thinks it's "gas station food".  Neither indicates any "horror".  You commented on something you haven't experienced since as you state you haven't been on RCI for 20 years.  What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yet people admit to doing it. The only Port that I know of that is really strict is Bermuda.  I have been on roll calls for other lines where people admit to ordering room service the night before and wrapping the sandwich with sandwich wrap that they brought from home. Personally that's too much work and planning for me but I would definitely grab one of those gas station sandwiches after a day in port.

Actually, the ship puts a notice in the Compass stating you can't take food off the ship unless it's commercially packaged.  And, Bermuda is not the only strict port.  Mexico is very strict and have dogs that sniff around everyone as they come ashore.  It's agriculture laws for the country's not RCI's rules.  The US has very strict rules too.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I know you can take off sealed packages foods, like little boxes of Cheerios or bags of chips

Huh. I didn’t know that. I thought it was any food from the ship.

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have always heard that Cozumel was pretty strict, with dogs that sniff beach bags as people leave the ship.

14 hours ago, Cowbert said:

My Dad & Brother sailed today from New Orleans on Vision of the Seas. My brother emailed this picture of some pre-packaged sandwiches in the Park Cafe.

He referred to this as "gas station" food.  I wouldn't argue with him.  In 42 cruises, I've never seen a pre-fab sandwich wrapped in plastic. They should just put them in a vending machine and be done with it.  The food & beverage manager has clearly given up. I'd be embarrassed to serve this to paying passengers.

GasStationFood.jpg

I’ve seen em many times. 

Never ate one.

To the right is a roast beef or pork or turkey sandwich made to order with little bags of Lays potato chips. Very enjoyable. Soup is usually available also. 2 kinds. Usually very good. Fresh made salad right across from the prepackaged sandwich.

This is all included in the price of your cruise. 

Also fresh fruit cups.

I do see the Humor in the prepackaged Service Station sandwiches. Funny.