Has anyone missed their ship?

VacationLuv008

During our December MSC cruise, a couple had this problem figured out. They left their very young kids on the ship while they did whatever they did that made them two hours late returning to the ship. The Captain did not want to leave with two minors onboard so he waited them out. I wondered what was said to them when they finally got around to returning to the ship. As the CD joked that evening; "the parents didn't want them and neither did they".

21 minutes ago, sptrout said:

During our December MSC cruise, a couple had this problem figured out. They left their very young kids on the ship while they did whatever they did that made them two hours late returning to the ship. The Captain did not want to leave with two minors onboard so he waited them out. I wondered what was said to them when they finally got around to returning to the ship. As the CD joked that evening; "the parents didn't want them and neither did they".

If you watch the video the show a lady being left behind (near end of tape) with her kids aboard.

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

If you watch the video the show a lady being left behind (near end of tape) with her kids aboard.

Not 100% positive but I remember the video of the lady being left and I am pretty sure it was reported there was an Aunt or Uncle still on the ship with the kids so that might have played into part of that decision. 

Regardless, I highly recommend everyone be early to the ship, get a drink and enjoy sail away from your balcony or top deck 🙂 

Patty 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 1

We were on a tour in Tahiti aboard the now-defunct Renaissance line, and had a couple miss out sailing. About 20 minutes out to sea the ship slowed, and we saw a motorboat come racing from the horizon and eventually pulled up alongside with a chagrinned couple on board. By the time they arrived the entire ship figured out what had happened, and applauded as they stepped onto the 2nd floor deck. The woman looked so mortified I don't think we saw her for the rest of the week! 

• Like 1

I don't know why some of these people - who turn up to the pier just as their ship has departed stand on the end of the pier frantically waving.... it's not like the captain can just turn off the motors and reverse back to pick them up or something.

Heck the captain probably can't even see them!

Everyone gets told what time the ship departs and what time they need to be back on board by - you take the risk, you pay the consequences

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Muffinz said:

I don't know why some of these people - who turn up to the pier just as their ship has departed stand on the end of the pier frantically waving.... it's not like the captain can just turn off the motors and reverse back to pick them up or something.

Well, there has been a time when a captain changed his mind.  As we departed from the dock, a woman came running down the pier pushing a baby carriage.

The captain reversed the pods and returned to the dock.  He looked at us and said "I just couldn't leave the baby".  What a captain.  😊

We were on a ship sponsored tour in Maine and we got stuck in traffic because of an accident. The ship kept calling the bus and everyone was getting so nervous. They waited for us . We entered the ship thru a cargo area that looked like a Sam's Club on steroids. Huge rolls of carpet and mattresses wrapped in plastic. The crew kept asking us to be quick but I kept slowing down to see this area. You would never know!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Texed said:

Well, there has been a time when a captain changed his mind.  As we departed from the dock, a woman came running down the pier pushing a baby carriage.

The captain reversed the pods and returned to the dock.  He looked at us and said "I just couldn't leave the baby".  What a captain.  😊

Turns out there was a dog in the carriage. The captain was not happy.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sippican said:

We were on an RCCL cruise in the Med and they left two of their own tour groups behind (kind of blowing the myth of the beneits of a a ship's tour)!

Sometimes there is no choice (tides, penalties, etc.) - BUT the cruise line will handle getting the people on tours to the next port (or ship if necessary).

Several summers ago in Alaska, there were excursions from two HAL ships (and some people from those ships who booked privately) that were on the musher's camp/glacier excursion and weather came in such that the helicopters could not get back to pick them up and the people had to spend the night at the camp. The next morning when they were able to get down, HAL covered the expenses of those on their excursions and then had train tickets for people from one of the ships to the next port and a boat to get the people from the other to their ship (which had a sea day). Those who had booked privately were having to negotiate with their tour company about what was going to happen.

I was on a 12-night Med cruise on Brilliance in 2016, and there was one couple whose name was called at the first three ports. At the third one, my server said "Well, they're off now." One of his friends was their stateroom host, and after the second port in a row where they were ridiculously late (as in running up the gangplank as it was being pulled in), they were told by the captain if they were late one more time, they would be disembarked. He reported the next night that they were - well, more specifically their cabin was packed up and their stuff was left with the port agent. They were THAT late that time.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 3

We were on a Royal Princess southern Caribbean cruise a few years ago and saw the ship leave someone on the dock. We were sitting on our balcony watching for the runners, the ship was untied, when a man came racing to where the gangway was making pleading motions. The port agent handed him his passport and backpack. It was our last port before Ft. Lauderdale so the guy missed the last three days of his cruise.

• Like 1

Last year on The Summit, when leaving Bermuda and being 20 minutes out to sea, out of nowhere a motor boat pulled up next to us and behold, there were three (3) passengers who were left boarding...

How fortunate they were to be able to hire a boat and make it to the ship before we were in deep waters...

bon voayge

The guy who missed our ship said that when he passed by the port gate earlier he asked the guy in the booth what time we were sailing and was told the wrong time.. so he arrived 30 mins late and after we sailed. Lucky that he got he port police to take him to us. We watched an officer hand his passport to the police before we sailed

11 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Sometimes there is no choice (tides, penalties, etc.) - BUT the cruise line will handle getting the people on tours to the next port (or ship if necessary).

That is true, and a major selling point!  There are tour companies that advertise the same policy and many times the ship will wait for private tours if they are notified and able to do so. Any well-known private tour company would bend over backwards to insure that customers get back to the ship on time, or catch up with it. Their livelihood depends on it. It is also the responsibility ot the customer to check schedules, and request modofications if it seems like they're cutting it too close. We do so frequently.

It really depends on one's risk-tolernace; the "guarantee" vs. small-group, high value, customizable tours. There are very rare occasions, in more remote places,  when we opt for the ship's tours. 

We were on a ship excursion in Costa Rica.  The roads are narrow and traffic is bad.  we were one hour late and the tour guide's cellphone kept ringing.  The ship probably called him at least 10 times.  We were happy to see the ship when we arrived.

Three hours later, we were still not moving.  Turns out, another ship excursion bus was 4 hours late, and the captain waited for them.  This was the last stop before coming back to Florida.

On an excursion in Israel our two buses were several hours late because of a bad accident on the Highway. Our guide told us not to worry because the Captain was on the bus behind us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the Equinox a few weeks ago, we witnessed three people arrive late and missed boarding the ship in Key West.  They looked so sad while waving goodbye to us.  The sad part is, they were stuck for three days, as the ship had a sea day and Costa Maya (no airport there) until they could join us in Cozumel.  They had just the clothes on their backs, no meds, no toiletries, no....

Sad.....

17 hours ago, cw2go said:

Not 100% positive but I remember the video of the lady being left and I am pretty sure it was reported there was an Aunt or Uncle still on the ship with the kids so that might have played into part of that decision. 

Regardless, I highly recommend everyone be early to the ship, get a drink and enjoy sail away from your balcony or top deck 🙂 

Patty 

I always enjoy watching the runners from my balcony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1