How to Make the Best Experience as a Solo Traveler

resjes

If that was a title of a book, what would you input to the book?

I am going a cruise for the first time since a Disney cruise when I was 5 years old...long time ago. I will be alone..as is why I am posting here.

I've been reading through the posts about horrid experiences as a solo traveler when dining...I never even thought about that when booking. I am pretty flexible with most people..the cruise has me marked down as "disabled" for calling Special Needs about my food allergies..don't know if that will impact anything.

I want my most bang for my buck..not just with activities but costs..for example, I didn't buy the beverage package because I'm not going to drink $50 worth of booze a day! So I bought wine through the Royal Gifts section to be delivered to my room...

I am going on a Royal Caribbean cruise in May due to the convenience with scheduling/location/etc...I've been reading that Princess or Norwegian cruises are better for solo travelers?  Can anyone can tell me about their experiences on Royal's cruises as a solo traveler?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Be open, flexible, and able to roll with the punches. Sign up for your roll call on this forum(or any other that may be out there), introduce yourself and be ready for anything.Join trivia, go up to the sports place, talk to people next to you in line. You get the picture!

• Like 3

I have sailed solo on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Norwegian.  I didn’t notice any significant differences among the three as far as being solo.  Each had gatherings for solos (in which I did not participate).  I have found that traveling as a solo I can interact with others as much or as little as I wish. Cruises for me are what I make them, not necessarily what the cruise line do or don’t offer to solos. Enjoy yourself!

• Like 3

On 2/28/2019 at 4:38 PM, resjes said:

better for solo travelers? 

Well, it depends on what you want and what you like -- there is no "better" or "best" for everyone.  What I want traveling solo is to be treated exactly like every other passenger.  No solo meetings, no solo cabins, no solo activities.  What someone else wants to make their cruise "better" might be something different than what I want.   I don't know what bad experiences you're talking about from solo passengers, so I can't address it specifically; I've had both very bad and excellent experiences dining alone, and often when I sail solo I don't eat alone because I've met people on board to share meals with.  (My very bad experience was decades ago on Carnival, my very good experiences have been in the last 10 years on Crystal.)

The most important thing is to do whatever you want, when you want.  The only thing you absolutely must do on a cruise is the muster drill -- everything else is optional.  Whether you want to participate in games or relax in the shade and do needlework -- it's totally up to you.  Whether you want to eat in the main dining room, or order a room service sandwich and eat in your robe -- it's totally up to you.  Whether you want to go to the bar or show after dinner, or go lounge on the Lido deck under the stars and listen to your iTunes on earphones - it's totally up to you.

Edited by calliopecruiser
  • Like 8

Hi,:classic_smile: I have been cruising solo for many years.   I agree with the previous poster about the cruise line question. I don't think there is one line that fits all of us the same way.  I have sailed Royal, Celebrity, Carnival (many years ago), Holland America, Silverseas and AMA Waterways.  Each line offers a different experience (in my opinion).    I love cruising solo, doing what I want, when I want~that includes doing nothing too.  Finding a quiet spot on a lounger and just taking a nap is good for me.

Go with an open mind and have fun:classic_biggrin: oh, there are lots of folks who have food allergies these days so I am guessing the gallies are able to prepare those specific items without a problem.

• Like 2

Well, I am a solo traveller that feels I am responsible for my own travel success and enjoyment. If it involves other people, that is just an aside. I am pretty low maintenance, so just want to be treated respectfully and pleasantly. Sometimes i travel for the itinerary so make my own port plans, or it might be for a rest and break in which case I won't make commitments, and will go with my whims or energy.

It seems some lines offer more organized solo activities than others but realistically, their success depends on the people on any given cruise.

• Like 1

I have sailed solo recently on both the Caribbean Princess and NCL Breakaway.  I enjoy the freedom that solo travel gives me, allowing me to interact as little or as much as I want with the other passengers. 

On Princess I met many people, playing trivia, going on shore excursions, attending events in the atrium.  I didn't particularly enjoy meals in the dining room because I thought the food in the buffet was better and because seating for me was spotty.  I was seated with either a big group or just a couple or one time, I was by myself.  I felt more at ease by myself in the buffet.

On NCL, I didn't meet as many people.  There were more people on the ship, but there was more to do than Princess, so I was fine with that.  However, I did go to the solo group meeting initially and would see other people in the group around the ship and was fine talking to them.  I didn't get involved in their evening dinners, but would hang out with a few of them during events held in Spice H2O.  

It's up to you how broad you want your social activity to be on a ship.  Enjoy it however you choose!

• Like 1

Don't feel the need to be polite, especially at meals. It is perfectly ok to ask for a solo table at a two top. You don't have to sit with the family with 3 kids and fill the 6th seat. They probably are just being polite too.

You don't need to hide in your room for any reason because you don't want to be a bother. It's your vacation. You are entitled to a table at the comedy club, a seat a the bar, and a solo table at a meal if you want one.

A solo vacation is the perfect time to go to the thermal spa, use the adults only sun deck.

Don't be hostage to the cruise lines scare tactics on shore excursions. Get off the boat and explore on your own. They don't dock anywhere unsafe- that would be bad for business. It is up to you to be aware, informed, and not do anything stupid, same as you would at home. But you go by yourself to places at home- do it at your ports too. If nothing else, try it at the first port of call and see if you like going rogue. If not, book some ship excursions when you get back on board.

It's ok to get 2 apps, 2 desserts. You owe no one an explanation. Have a great time!

• Like 5

Don't feel the need to be polite, especially at meals

Wow, I really disagree........you shou'd always be polite.    Not because you're traveling solo, but because you're an adult and it's the right thing to do.      Don't be a pushover, but be polite if you want to refuse something you don't like or want.  

• Like 3

The best advice I can give you is just to relax and enjoy yourself, as this trip is just for you.  You are traveling solo so you can do what you want and what you enjoy.  I am a bit of an extrovert so I enjoy interacting with the other passengers.  I find solo cruising a good way to really relax.  I would agree with Calliopecruiser, I think you will find most people are polite because that is the way most people are every day.  Yes, there are rude people everywhere, but I think most people prefer to be nice and that is reflected aboard the ship.  I have sailed most of the mass market lines and have enjoyed every cruise.  Yes, some were better than others but I never had a bad cruise.  I was not at work, I was relaxing and just enjoying the trip.  It is hard to beat that.  Good Luck on your cruise.  Happy Sailing.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2019 at 4:38 PM, resjes said:

If that was a title of a book, what would you input to the book?

I am going a cruise for the first time since a Disney cruise when I was 5 years old...long time ago. I will be alone..as is why I am posting here.

I've been reading through the posts about horrid experiences as a solo traveler when dining...I never even thought about that when booking. I am pretty flexible with most people..the cruise has me marked down as "disabled" for calling Special Needs about my food allergies..don't know if that will impact anything.

I want my most bang for my buck..not just with activities but costs..for example, I didn't buy the beverage package because I'm not going to drink $50 worth of booze a day! So I bought wine through the Royal Gifts section to be delivered to my room...

I am going on a Royal Caribbean cruise in May due to the convenience with scheduling/location/etc...I've been reading that Princess or Norwegian cruises are better for solo travelers?  Can anyone can tell me about their experiences on Royal's cruises as a solo traveler?

Thanks in advance!

I actually have cruised solo on Royal.  I opted for late fixed dining at a table for 8 .  Perhaps this was a coincidence, but 4 of the 8 at this table were solo travelers.  I enjoyed this group and it turned out to be a very positive experience.  That being said, is it possible to encounter a less than cordial person during a ship activity?  Unfortunately, yes.  However, don't let it ruin your experience.

This is your vacation so make the most of it !

10 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Wow, I really disagree........you shou'd always be polite.    Not because you're traveling solo, but because you're an adult and it's the right thing to do.      Don't be a pushover, but be polite if you want to refuse something you don't like or want.  

I agree with you 100%.  Being polite, having manners, it goes a long way in this life. 

I have cruised solo once, on Carnival, and cruised on Royal Caribbean's Allure in January with my adult daughter. I loved both cruises! I can't think of anything I would have done differently on my January cruise if I had been solo.

As a solo cruiser it's easier to find a deck chair by the pool for one person than for two or more. Likewise for a seat in a crowded theater or comedy club. On my solo cruise, I asked for a large table and was seated with three couples and another solo traveler, and I enjoyed our dinner conversations. However, on the first night, I was prepared in case I ended up at a table by myself - I synced my iPad with my phone and discreetly put the phone in my purse so I could read my book if I was dining alone.

P.S. RCI allows you to bring one bottle of wine per passenger on board with you the first day in your carry-on bag.

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2019 at 1:51 PM, km3045 said:

I have sailed solo recently on both the Caribbean Princess and NCL Breakaway.  I enjoy the freedom that solo travel gives me, allowing me to interact as little or as much as I want with the other passengers. 

On Princess I met many people, playing trivia, going on shore excursions, attending events in the atrium.  I didn't particularly enjoy meals in the dining room because I thought the food in the buffet was better and because seating for me was spotty.  I was seated with either a big group or just a couple or one time, I was by myself.  I felt more at ease by myself in the buffet.

On NCL, I didn't meet as many people.  There were more people on the ship, but there was more to do than Princess, so I was fine with that.  However, I did go to the solo group meeting initially and would see other people in the group around the ship and was fine talking to them.  I didn't get involved in their evening dinners, but would hang out with a few of them during events held in Spice H2O.  

It's up to you how broad you want your social activity to be on a ship.  Enjoy it however you choose!

Wow, these are the top two ships I am considering for a solo cruise this summer!  Same itinerary, same stateroom type, $800 price difference.   Would you say either of these ships is worth $800 more than the other?  This would be my first solo cruise and I am having a hard time biting the bullet and going for it.  Also having a hard time justifying spending that much money on myself!

On 3/9/2019 at 7:19 AM, calliopecruiser said:

I think, and I may very well be wrong but I like to assume positive intent, that the OP meant don't go along with something/let yourself be talked into something you don't want to do just to be polite.  Of course you have to be polite.  But so often we, especially women, are taught that it is rude to say no to *anything*, even in a polite manner.  So if you are waiting to be seated and you want to sit alone and you are told "I have a table ready with 5 people who are looking for a 6th to join them, come right this way!" you wouldn't go along with it just to be polite.  That's how I interpreted it.  

On 3/11/2019 at 7:07 AM, JulieMcCoy said:

I have cruised solo once, on Carnival, and cruised on Royal Caribbean's Allure in January with my adult daughter. I loved both cruises! I can't think of anything I would have done differently on my January cruise if I had been solo.

As a solo cruiser it's easier to find a deck chair by the pool for one person than for two or more. Likewise for a seat in a crowded theater or comedy club. On my solo cruise, I asked for a large table and was seated with three couples and another solo traveler, and I enjoyed our dinner conversations. However, on the first night, I was prepared in case I ended up at a table by myself - I synced my iPad with my phone and discreetly put the phone in my purse so I could read my book if I was dining alone.

P.S. RCI allows you to bring one bottle of wine per passenger on board with you the first day in your carry-on bag.

Actually RCI allows 2 bottles of wine per stateroom, regardless of how many adults are in the room.  Double your pleasure, double your fun!!!  🍷🍷

• Like 5

Grenouille21 - as to which ship, I personally would choose the Breakaway over the Princess. Newer, bigger ship with more to do.  Love The Waterfront, better/more entertainment choices. The Caribbean Princess was an older crowd. It was very quiet and relaxing.  I did like the Princess aft pool on deck 14.  Looked out over the ship’s wake with close access to a bar and the buffet.   I like dining by myself, which was easier to do on an NCL ship. Princess didn’t seem to be as accommodating for that.  

Since I have never been on a Princess cruise, I have no real comparison but my Breakaway cruise was my second solo and the absolute best cruise I have been on.  A fair amount of that rests on the solo hostess Sheree.  She was fun, engaging and very good at getting people to join in without pushing them.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 7:12 PM, Lois R said:

I agree with you 100%.  Being polite, having manners, it goes a long way in this life. 

That's not what the person said, the context is removed.

"Don't feel the need to be polite, especially at meals. It is perfectly ok to ask for a solo table at a two top. You don't have to sit with the family with 3 kids and fill the 6th seat. They probably are just being polite too."

The post says that you should feel comfortable if you choose to dine alone rather than feel obliged to sit with other people if you don't want to.  It doesn't even suggest that it's okay to be impolite towards people.

• Like 8

I have been with Royal Caribbean three times as a solo cruiser. While I enjoyed the holidays, I did not think they were very good for solo. The reason was that the only meet-ups were in the MDR for lunch. When the sun is beaming down outside who wants to spend 90 minutes inside over a semi-formal lunch? The solo meet-ups would have been much better in the evening. Hardly surprisingly, the numbers attending dwindled to a handful by the second week.

• Like 2

I have only cruised NCL and MSC. Most of my cruises were with my DH, however, since his passing I've done a few solo cruises on NCL and really enjoyed them. NCL seems to make exceptions for solo cruisers; special meet ups, group dining reservations, group gatherings at bars for pre-dinner drinks and mixing, so I"m quite happy to continue cruising with NCL. 

• Like 2

So far I have been on two NCL solos.  Last month I was on the Carnival Conquest and although I was with my son and granddaughter, I paid attention to the solo arrangements and they were pitiful.  NCL had all of the things stated in the last post.  Carnival only had a meeting at a bar that wasn't even in a room.  you couldn't tell who was there for the solo or not.

• Like 1

This is really interesting as, although I have often cruised solo on Celebrity, RCI, P&O, Azamara, and Cunard, I have never cruised with NCL.

that changes next month when I am on the Breakaway. Really good to hear that I will have so many options.

To the OP, I have never had a bad cruise, you are able to do what you want when you want when travel solo. So have a great cruise whatever you do x

• Like 3

I went as a solo once on Carnival - thoroughly enoyed myself despite a very awkward dinner seating of 6 solos.  After the first night I chose to eat at the buffet or in the steakhouse where I was treated exceptionally well.  It was delightful to not be on anyone else's schedule and I felt perfectly safe in every port of call.  I did run into a group of swingers (who met on board) who invited me in to their activities -- no thanks!  But, hey, if it makes them happy 😉

• Like 3

On 3/1/2019 at 6:36 PM, SPSGB said:

I have sailed solo on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Norwegian.  I didn’t notice any significant differences among the three as far as being solo.  Each had gatherings for solos (in which I did not participate).  I have found that traveling as a solo I can interact with others as much or as little as I wish. Cruises for me are what I make them, not necessarily what the cruise line do or don’t offer to solos. Enjoy yourself!

I agree.  I have solo cruised and did go to the solo gathering(s), very uneventful.    Join large tables at dinner, you can meet other cruisers, they may ask you to join them or you can ask them.   You do meet more people.  When I travel with friends I look for solo travellers to see if they are interested in joining up with us.    If not that is fine too.

I have cruised solo numerous times, but only on Celebrity. I have my first solo on RCCL in September. I have never gone to a solo event as I am fine on my own.

What  I have learned is that people are creatures of habit. They tend to develop a routine, even on a cruise ship. If I find a bar that I like, and I go approximately the same time each evening, I will often see many of the same people. You develop a rapport and have conversations. When either they or I need to leave, we say “see you to tomorrow” and go on our way. I have been invited to join others for dinner. Sometimes I say yes  and other times I politely decline.

After a couple of disappointing table assignments as #6 at a table of 6 and #8 at a table of 8,  I have absolutely no qualms about insisting that I dine by myself. I would rather wait for a little while to accomplish that, than be stuck at either a solo “dump table” (a phrase I found on the Celebrity board) or seated with a family, or group traveling together, who did not want me there.

The message here is you can be as involved  as you want or you can chose to spend time alone. I consider “me, myself and I” to often be my best cruising companions.

• Like 2