kids cruising

59 minutes ago, boatsandtrains614 said:

Out of the New York area who should we cruise with 2 adults 3 children. Who has larger rooms?

You are only in your cabin to sleep, all cruise lines are pretty much the same as far as cabins. What the ship has to offer as far as activities for the kids depending on their ages would be my first consideration. Check out ships you are considering on youtube. . 

Almost any cruise line cabin would be large enough for 2 adults; for 3 people, you need to choose a cabin that is designated as suitable for 3.   The only rooms that would accommodate all 5 of you would be some sort of a Family Suite which is available on some cruise lines.   You should look at connecting cabins (these will be identified on cruise ship deck plans) or cabins across the hall from one another (1 a balcony, one an inside).   Depending on the children's ages, you may want to split up the adults, one in each cabin with 1 or 2 of the kids.   

As the previous post says, the children's programs are important if you want a little adult time.    Check out the Family Cruising board here on Cruise Critic and read through the posts there for more ideas.     

The size of the staterooms should not be a primary concern as they are all similarly sized with most cruise lines.  And as others have pointed out you likely will need more than one stateroom, or a family stateroom or suite that is designed to accommodate your family size.

What should be more important IMO is what activities and venues the ships offer that would be of interest to your family, the itineraries offered, and the total cost.  Those factors will vary more greatly than the comparative stateroom sizes.

Another factor in choosing a cabin is how many bathrooms you will have, five people getting up in the morning and getting  ready for dinner in the evening can be difficult with one bathroom.  We traveled years ago with our kids and once they were old enough, we got two cabins one inside and one outside.  (not many veranda's then) Just a bit of a hint but when we had one cabin, son and I would go to the gym to get ready, saved the bathroom for the girls. 

Carnival has the largest "standard" cabins, but almost all ships have some sort of "family" style rooms for more than 4 people.  You generally need to call on the phone to book those cabins.  Suites are another option if you have more than 4, or 2 CONNECTING cabins will be nice...put the kids in one room, parents in the other...there is a connecting doorway for immediate access.

The only lines regularly sailing from NY are  Norwegian (Manhattan) and Royal Caribbean (Bayonne, NJ).  For five, best bet would be two cabins with connecting door.  Also, if children are young, the line would want an adult in whatever cabin they were in. Of course, with adjoining cabins you could easily rearrange sleeping. 

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The only lines regularly sailing from NY are  Norwegian (Manhattan) and Royal Caribbean (Bayonne, NJ).  For five, best bet would be two cabins with connecting door.  Also, if children are young, the line would want an adult in whatever cabin they were in. Of course, with adjoining cabins you could easily rearrange sleeping. 

Across the hall - inside / baclony - works also.  Less costly.  We've done that in our earlier days with kids.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Connecting, not adjoining.

35 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Connecting, not adjoining.

Not necessarily connecting; while connecting is, of course, distinctly preferable, adjoining is also a possibility - as implied  by those posters who suggested across-the-corridor idea: balcony and inside — to maximize fare saving.

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not necessarily connecting; while connecting is, of course, distinctly preferable, adjoining is also a possibility - as implied  by those posters who suggested across-the-corridor idea: balcony and inside — to maximize fare saving.

Not sure I understand the distinction you are making in terms of fare savings between adjoining v connecting.  The stateroom costs for adjoining or connecting - as long as they are in the same category - are the same.  The only difference between the two is that connecting staterooms have a door in the walls between them where as adjoining are just next to each other and would have to gain entry to each other from the outside hallway.

12 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not sure I understand the distinction you are making in terms of fare savings between adjoining v connecting.  The stateroom costs for adjoining or connecting - as long as they are in the same category - are the same.  The only difference between the two is that connecting staterooms have a door in the walls between them where as adjoining are just next to each other and would have to gain entry to each other from the outside hallway.

By adjoining, I meant in the immediate area (as the term is loosely used by many hotels) - directly across the corridor; with the inside room being almost certainly cheaper than another connecting balcony or outside room.

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

By adjoining, I meant in the immediate area (as the term is loosely used by many hotels) - directly across the corridor; with the inside room being almost certainly cheaper than another connecting balcony or outside room.

OK - get that as I was the one indicating a inside v balcony category savings.  Adjoining, however, as I understood meant next to - as in side by side - which threw me with your comments.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

OK - get that as I was the one indicating a inside v balcony category savings.  Adjoining, however, as I understood meant next to - as in side by side - which threw me with your comments.

Your right - “adjoining” really should mean next to each other - I was recently at a hotel with a large wedding party and the hotel had used “adjoining” to refer to rooms on both sides of same corridor.  I should not let bad example affect my usage.

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Your right - “adjoining” really should mean next to each other - I was recently at a hotel with a large wedding party and the hotel had used “adjoining” to refer to rooms on both sides of same corridor.  I should not let bad example affect my usage.

Hotels use "adjourning" to refer to rooms in the same vicinity which could be side by side and "connecting"   to rooms next to each other with a connecting doorway.