Charge for second entree?

On 3/3/2019 at 3:29 AM, ditmar2007 said:

I would find it reasonable IF YOU DON'T FINISH THE FIRST.

I hate to see good food wasted because someone feels entitled to try out a lot of food just to see if they like it.

Having been at AYCE sushi places that have large signs that say they will charge you for uneaten sushi rolls it seems reasonable. However, I have seen people lose their mind over being charged for it. The attempt is to reduce waste and it does work. The optics of actually enforcing it are terrible.

Hello,

If I may respond to the original subject matter:

I would object to paying $10 for a second entree, but could be prepared to pay for a second 'main' or plat.

Regards,

Cublet

11 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

If I may respond to the original subject matter:

I would object to paying $10 for a second entree, but could be prepared to pay for a second 'main' or plat.

Regards,

Cublet

Yes... it took me a while to work out the American usage of "entree".  Unlike the rest of the civilised world, Americans refer to the Main Course as an "entree".

21 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

Having been at AYCE sushi places that have large signs that say they will charge you for uneaten sushi rolls it seems reasonable. However, I have seen people lose their mind over being charged for it. The attempt is to reduce waste and it does work. The optics of actually enforcing it are terrible.

ALL sushi places here that have 'all-you-can-eat-for-a-fixed-price' have that rule. You pay the equivalent of $1.50 for each piece over three that you do not eat. But then you are allowed to bring it home.

1 minute ago, ditmar2007 said:

ALL sushi places here that have 'all-you-can-eat-for-a-fixed-price' have that rule. You pay the equivalent of $1.50 for each piece over three that you do not eat. But then you are allowed to bring it home.

Interesting. A few here have it. Americans are notoriously large orderers of food, I am in the business, but we are also large complainers so many restaurants are not up for the fight.:classic_cool:

And if the cruise lines are afraid to enforce the no shorts rule on formal night, wait till the poor server has to tell a guest that eats 6 lobster tails, that there is a $50 charge.🙀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tinkr2 said:

Interesting. A few here have it. Americans are notoriously large orderers of food, I am in the business, but we are also large complainers so many restaurants are not up for the fight.:classic_cool:

I feel a little queesy when I eat in the US. I lose my appetite just by the sight of the portions.

Me: I would like an omelet

US Waiter: Which kind of bread to you want with your omelet?

Me: Nothing, thanks

US Waiter: Which kind of potatoes do you want with your omelet?

Me: None, thanks

US Waiter: Which kind of steak do you want with your omelet?

Me: AGGGGHHR!!! (The last one was made up - the two first I experienced)

• Like 2

I try not to generalize a whole society! For example when in mexico about five years ago . We were on wave runners a tour! we went for a swim...i could not get back on wave runner for the life of me,hubby was on the other side  and could not reach me in time! scummy tour operator pretended I was drowning so he could cop a feel! What he got from me was a knee in the groin! Hard drinking, loud kid from Scottland jump on and over about six jet skis and pulled me out of the water! This kid saw what was happening. This kid was  loud and my savior! He pulled me up with one hand!!  He was on vacation having fun and I will always remember him! I try not to generalize! I don't think all people from scottland drink alot and are very strong! Just like all americans do not eat alot

🙂

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

I try not to generalize a whole society! For example when in mexico about five years ago . We were on wave runners a tour! we went for a swim...i could not get back on wave runner for the life of me,hubby was on the other side  and could not reach me in time! scummy tour operator pretended I was drowning so he could cop a feel! What he got from me was a knee in the groin! Hard drinking, loud kid from Scottland jump on and over about six jet skis and pulled me out of the water! This kid saw what was happening. This kid was  loud and my savior! He pulled me up with one hand!!  He was on vacation having fun and I will always remember him! I try not to generalize! I don't think all people from scottland drink alot and are very strong! Just like all americans do not eat alot

🙂

I have never eaten at a US restaurant where I didn't get served a very large portion.
I don't know if the other customers finish the servings. I couldn't.

My experience is not very broad - I've spent approximately a month in the US as an adult.

6 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

I have never eaten at a US restaurant where I didn't get served a very large portion.

My experience is not very broad - I've spent approximately a month in the US as an adult.

Not throwing shade just not my experience. Wish you many happy travels! 🙂

Having dined in the MDR for every dinner but one last cruise, we ordered a second main course once, because we wanted to try it. Other times, we ordered just the protein with a vegetable side, because many of the main course options had grains or pasta.

We would not choose to sail a line that limits what you can order and enjoy in their MDR or who can eat in the MDR, so we will not sail MSC or HAL in the near future. In a decade, maybe all lines will have tiered dining depending on room class. Who knows?

37 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

Did you hear of doggy bags for food that is not consumed.

On 3/3/2019 at 3:29 AM, ditmar2007 said:

I would find it reasonable IF YOU DON'T FINISH THE FIRST.

I hate to see good food wasted because someone feels entitled to try out a lot of food just to see if they like it.

well, sometimes  I really don't like it and DON'T WANT TO FINISH IT FIRST, before getting a different dish.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ditmar2007 said:

If your experience is not very broad by your own admission, then perhaps you should not make such sweeping statements.  I trust you will not be back anytime soon?  BTW, lots of people here make their own mayo, and some do make lobster salad using it.  It can be tasty if the mayo is used sparingly.  I, being from  New England ,prefer the butter option because that is what I am used to, but to each his/her own.  I would never say EEEEWwwwwww to another's choice of food.  

Edited by Rala

1 hour ago, Balsam12 said:

Yes... it took me a while to work out the American usage of "entree".  Unlike the rest of the civilised world, Americans refer to the Main Course as an "entree".

We, Americans, are the only civilized humans in the world.:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rala said:

If your experience is not very broad by your own admission, then perhaps you should not make such sweeping statements.  I trust you will not be back anytime soon?  BTW, lots of people here make their own mayo, and some do make lobster salad using it.  It can be tasty if the mayo is used sparingly.  I, being from  New England ,prefer the butter option because that is what I am used to, but to each his/her own.  I would never say EEEEWwwwwww to another's choice of food.  

I wouldn't think of using mayo on hot lobster, but I've definitely had it in lobster/seafood salad. I will have to give cocktail sauce a try, but my preference is to just eat lobster plain. Reheating frozen lobster is very tricky and I much prefer freshly cooked lobster.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marci22 said:

On lobster night on our past 2 cruises we were highly discouraged from ordering a second tail. One time we were told, "there won't be enough for second seating if you do this". Server asked chef and got 'special permission'. Awkward as we were dining with another couple and we told them, 'go ahead, you can order another entree if you like'. So I believe the trend will go to at least discouraging ordering a second entree in the MDR.

With the lobster tails it's a crapshoot. Sometimes they're decent and other times, inedible. If you get a bad one the first time I would try again.

My last few trips on Liberty the waiters just bring out two tails for everyone.

I am not a huge fan of lobster, even really good lobster, so one tail is always enough for me. One my last cruise the waiter just swapped my plate with a new tail without even asking. So I ate it, then he tried to give me a third one and it was hard to get him to take no for an answer.  I am always in late dinning, though.

I personally think the lobster tails have gotten better lately. There for a while it was seriously like eating rubber, but now I'd say they are about in line with a place like Red Lobster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OSUZorba said:

My last few trips on Liberty the waiters just bring out two tails for everyone.........I personally think the lobster tails have gotten better lately. There for a while it was seriously like eating rubber, but now I'd say they are about in line with a place like Red Lobster.

On our recent Symphony sailing....the waiter had two lobster tails on the plate when originally served....I don't get to eat lobster often, just not where we go for dinner....and we don't make it at home at all....and it did seem to be very good.....or we are just not 'lobster officianados'.  We enjoyed it none the less.....and that is all that counts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ditmar2007 said:

Ummmmm, the large portions are so you can take leftovers home for another meal!  Works great with pizza:  I loooooove cold pizza for breakfast. 

• Like 1

Just now, pcur said:

Ummmmm, the large portions are so you can take leftovers home for another meal!  Works great with pizza:  I loooooove cold pizza for breakfast. 

I can see that. When you are staying in a hotel it's just waste. You have no-where to put it. 

We hates it!!!