Harmony from Port Canaveral - demographic?

Sailing out of Port Canaveral on Harmony in July. I haven't sailed from there before, and given that it is known to be a port where many drive in, I'm guessing that it will be a mostly American demographic.

Coming from Scotland, I'm slightly worried that I'll be an outsider on this ship. It felt like that on Anthem a few years ago where almost every guest was from NY/NJ. Sailing out of Barcelona on the Symphony last year was nice since no particular nationality dominated the ship, it felt like a good mix of cultures.

Anyone who has sailed the Canaveral 7 nighters, what is the typical demographic like?

Any consolation I think there will be a few Brits onboard. It’s vacation time for us and more and more people are cruising, combining it with time at Disney. For example I’m going in October and by coincidence a colleague is also going - we teach in a school in Scotland. Certainly it is advertised quite a bit in the UK. 

We did Oasis (for the second time) last October and loved it. 

Wendy

If it's any consolation, we feel like outsiders sailing with what seems like 90% New Jersey/ New Yorkers too- and we're Californians!  :classic_tongue:

You'll have a great time on Harmony, no matter what.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Was just on the Harmony (from Canada, eh).

There was a great mix from around the world on board.   Lots of Canucks, Aussi's, Brits, South American's, and of course the majority was from the States.    You will not feel out of place.  There will be (as always) loads of families on the ship.   Lots of room to roam around and things to do.  

1 minute ago, Valiamo said:

Was just on the Harmony (from Canada, eh).

There was a great mix from around the world on board.   Lots of Canucks, Aussi's, Brits, South American's, and of course the majority was from the States.    You will not feel out of place.  There will be (as always) loads of families on the ship.   Lots of room to roam around and things to do.  

Harmony is FLL based at the moment, however Canaveral may be different, especially since airports are less accessible.

It seems to me that Oasis class ships do draw a more international clientele than other US based ships in the Royal fleet.

With that said, I haven’t done an Oasis class ship out of Port Canaveral so I’m just speculating, but every cruise I’ve ever taken from Port Canaveral (Royal, Carnival, and Disney) have all been mostly Americans. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 4:17 PM, CruisingJoe09 said:

Sailing out of Port Canaveral on Harmony in July. I haven't sailed from there before, and given that it is known to be a port where many drive in, I'm guessing that it will be a mostly American demographic.

Coming from Scotland, I'm slightly worried that I'll be an outsider on this ship. It felt like that on Anthem a few years ago where almost every guest was from NY/NJ. Sailing out of Barcelona on the Symphony last year was nice since no particular nationality dominated the ship, it felt like a good mix of cultures.

Anyone who has sailed the Canaveral 7 nighters, what is the typical demographic like?

We sailed on HOTS in January out of Canaveral.  We met people from EVERYWHERE,  you will enjoy yourself.  The solarium on this ship is amazing.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kentuckytravelgirl said:

We sailed on HOTS in January out of Canaveral.  We met people from EVERYWHERE,  you will enjoy yourself.  The solarium on this ship is amazing.  

You sailed in January? Harmony doesn't come to Port Canaveral until May. 

Americans love accents. For example, you should see how many commercials in the US use British accents to appear more refined and authoritative. Especially the ones for those "Jag-oo-ars." Sean Connery is a legend here. You will be admired in all conversations.

Edited by mayleeman
clarification
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2019 at 5:48 PM, CruisingJoe09 said:

Harmony is FLL based at the moment, however Canaveral may be different, especially since airports are less accessible.

MCO is a giant and extremely international airport. The airport transports half the British Isles to Disney every summer.  I assume some will be on the ship. Though most will be Americans.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Americans love accents. For example, you should see how many commercials in the US use British accents to appear more refined and authoritative. Especially the ones for those "Jag-oo-ars." Sean Connery is a legend here. You will be admired in all conversations.

I'm not onboard to entertain Americans with my accent. Even then, I've watered down my accent as I'm from Glasgow which can be quite a thick one.

Hi Joe,  my grandaughter and I will be on your July 7 cruise. 😊  Two weeks before the cruise,  I will have been to Edinburgh(for the second time) for ten days.  I LOVE Scotland and have driven around the Highlands for two weeks.  I just purchased my 14 day Historic Scotland pass.

Are you bringing a kilt?  That would be amazing!😀

You may see different demographics from each of the 4 Florida ports Royal sails from.  Even though I lived in Miami for 26 years, I choose not to sail out of Miami again.  Ft. Lauderdale is my favorite for meeting great cruisers.  No matter where I have sailed, I have met awesome people.  I believe you will meet interesting people on Harmony as the 7 night and longer is a totally different crowd than the 3/4 night cruises to Bahamas.

Spent a couple of weeks in Scotland a few years back and loved every minute of the time, especially the Highlands.

4 hours ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

I'm not onboard to entertain Americans with my accent. Even then, I've watered down my accent as I'm from Glasgow which can be quite a thick one.

No one expects you to entertain. Seems like the OP just confirmed that you would be welcome, something you seemed concerned about.  

Most of us are pretty nice. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Americans love accents. For example, you should see how many commercials in the US use British accents to appear more refined and authoritative.

I feel the same about southern accents. So warm and welcoming.  Often, I implore my southern friends to talk "southern" to me.😊

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

MCO is a giant and extremely international airport. The airport transports half the British Isles to Disney every summer.  I assume some will be on the ship. Though most will be Americans.

Agreed. Orlando and most of Florida is a huge international tourist destination.

Sailed Oasis out of PC last year. Plenty of international folks on the ship.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

Certainly won't be - that would make me feel like more of a foreigner. 😅

I feel like most of the cruises I've been on, there is always one or more guys wearing a kilt on formal night. Not necessarily from Scotland but celebrating their Scottish heritage.