Specialty restaurant questions...

I have never been to a specialty restaurant on a cruise...is it same as main dining where we can order an extra appetizer or an entree? Also, kid’s meals at the specialty restaurants... are the menu same as main dinning or do they have different menus for each specialty restaurants? 

Thanks!

In our experience, there is usually a lot of food so you don't need to order extras. For example in Chops, the sides feed two people easily and the entree was sufficient for one person. You will not go away hungry. 

You can have as many starters and desserts as you want but only one main (usually $10 for an additional). Depends on the age of the child. I think under 5 they can eat free from the MDR children’s menu and up to 12 eat from a smaller version of the specialty restaurant menu for half price. 

10 hours ago, gyk42 said:

I have never been to a specialty restaurant on a cruise...is it same as main dining where we can order an extra appetizer or an entree? Also, kid’s meals at the specialty restaurants... are the menu same as main dinning or do they have different menus for each specialty restaurants? 

Thanks!

The speciality restaurant's are small and for more intimate or special occasion dining.

The MDR or buffet dining in the Windjammer are free and you can have more than 1 of any starter,main or desert and a better option if you have fussy kids or adults.

Edited by grapau27

9 hours ago, gerif said:

You can have as many starters and desserts as you want but only one main (usually $10 for an additional). Depends on the age of the child. I think under 5 they can eat free from the MDR children’s menu and up to 12 eat from a smaller version of the specialty restaurant menu for half price. 

My grandkids on our past Easter Allure, were able to order from the adult menu at both Giovanni's & Chops.  Just tip accordingly.

I could make an entire meal out of Chops' appetizers, a salad, and a dessert.  But I order the steak so hubby can have two.  He is the quintessential MEAT EATER!  Even if I eat my steak, I can only eat half of it (much to his delight!).

11 hours ago, gyk42 said:

Thanks!

=an extra entree would be an extra charge on top of the normal fee.   you can have as many the other courses as you like,  

there are two kinds of  kids menu.  the 'free' one is the same as the MDR menu and is for under 6? I believe.   the  other one does have a charge( any where from $10 to half the cost of the adult price,  depending on venue) but is a  version of the adult menu with smaller portions or a less fancy version.  if they eat off the adult menu, they get charged the adult price.  

that being said, many times the wait staff will bring you extra dishes to share.. especially in   Giovannis where everything is served family style.  

20 minutes ago, pcur said:

I could make an entire meal out of Chops' appetizers, a salad, and a dessert.  But I order the steak so hubby can have two.  He is the quintessential MEAT EATER!  Even if I eat my steak, I can only eat half of it (much to his delight!).

more than once I have asked for a double portion of the bacon appetizer.  

Side dishes are also all you want.

So salads, appetizers, side dishes, and desserts are unlimited.  Only the entree is limited to one without an additional charge.

And in Giovanni's, pasta course is NOT the entree, so you can have multiples of those.

6 hours ago, pcur said:

Right on..  I always make sure my wife orders the 9oz Filet Mignon so I get half to go along with my ribeye and slab of bacon pork belly.

14 hours ago, spookwife said:

=an extra entree would be an extra charge on top of the normal fee.   you can have as many the other courses as you like,  

there are two kinds of  kids menu.  the 'free' one is the same as the MDR menu and is for under 6? I believe.   the  other one does have a charge( any where from $10 to half the cost of the adult price,  depending on venue) but is a  version of the adult menu with smaller portions or a less fancy version.  if they eat off the adult menu, they get charged the adult price.  

that being said, many times the wait staff will bring you extra dishes to share.. especially in   Giovannis where everything is served family style.  

Thank you for the clarification on the extra entree fee.  

We did UDP on Symphony, and twice our waiters brought us an extra entree to share (without us requesting it).  As others have said, normally an extra entree is $10.

Wonderland was a little different than the other restaurants...  We were able to pick as many entrees as we wanted, with no extra charge.

We are currently on the Oasis and we had the 5 night package.  As others stated multiple appetizers and desserts are not a problem.  At 150CP our waiter offered a second entree to share if we wanted, we only ordered one each but he brought me 2 lobster thermadors because  he felt they were on the smaller side. At Giovanni’s I had the Branzino and again our waiter brought me 2 pieces of the fish without asking. I feel like the second entree especially to share is allowed depending on how busy the restaurant is or perhaps how many dining packages were purchased.