Talk to me about Duct/Grafers tape.

When I was in college, a LONG time ago.  I was telling my friends that racers called it 200 MPH tape.  As it would stay on at 200 MPH.

They did not believe me.  Then one weekend we were watching a NASCAR race, and they had to replace a windshield.  And to secure it .........

Yes, they taped it in place with duct tape.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

When I was in college, a LONG time ago.  I was telling my friends that racers called it 200 MPH tape.  As it would stay on at 200 MPH.

They did not believe me.  Then one weekend we were watching a NASCAR race, and they had to replace a windshield.  And to secure it .........

I have seen it (or a version of it) in space - Apollo 13 movie.

Always perplexed by why it is called duct tape. I work in the HVAC field and will tell you that nobody worth a darn in this field would actually use it on ductwork.  It’s adhesive isn’t durable enough long term with temperature swings.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:51 PM, GUT2407 said:

It was originally green and called Duck Tape by soldiers, probably because of the colour and the way it shed water (may or may not have been the reason).

Heres Readers Digests take on the issue https://www.rd.com/culture/truth-duct-tape-or-duck-tape/

Read Wiki article about it.  One story is that it was called Duck, because it was made from a type of heavy cloth called Duck cloth.

But other sources put the name to the Duck brand, from many people mistakenly calling it that.

The military called it Ordnance Tape.  It was used to tape up ammunition boxes, and on aircraft to tape over the guns to prevent things getting in the barrel before they were fired.

Edited by SRF

On 3/13/2019 at 6:29 PM, A2Mich said:

Always perplexed by why it is called duct tape. I work in the HVAC field and will tell you that nobody worth a darn in this field would actually use it on ductwork.  It’s adhesive isn’t durable enough long term with temperature swings.

It was used, before the advent of the new metal type tapes used today.

• 1 month later...

I will be sailing with NCL and have been told by their Special Needs department and they said it is okay.

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

They may allow the tape but disallow the extension cord, depending on the cruise line.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:21 AM, SRF said:

They may have not used "duct tape"...more likely they used "speed tape", which is aluminum with adhesive.  It is used for a variety of non-critical temporary repairs on aircraft.  Will withstand speeds of 500+ mph.  Quite expensive, depending on the specific tapes, it can run from $700 to $3000 per roll.  Here are some examples:

speed-tape-duct-tape-plane-444961.jpg

pilot-duct-tape-460x307.jpg

13 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

They may have not used "duct tape"...more likely they used "speed tape", which is aluminum with adhesive.  It is used for a variety of non-critical temporary repairs on aircraft.  Will withstand speeds of 500+ mph.  Quite expensive, depending on the specific tapes, it can run from $700 to $3000 per roll.  Here are some examples:

Nope, it was duct tape.  

Not a huge deal.  Less than 200 MPH, and only really to prevent air getting under the edge of the windshield and lifting it off.  Most of the air pressure is pushing the windshield ONTO the car.