Motion sickness patches cost?

I need transdermal patches to avoid seasickness....  Up until last year I was buying "Transderm V" patches (pack of 2) for each 7 day cruise.  These were the best but quite expensive where I live ($115 ) and now I cant find that brand name anyplace..  I tried another cheaper brand, but they didnt work at all, and it ruined my cruise.   I was talking to a friend in Canada who said he can buy the "good ones" for under $20 at any pharmacy.    I checked ebay canada and found those exact same Transderm V for sale for $40 for two.   

I wonder why we have to pay so much in the USA for these patches (if you can even find them).   Does anyone know where I can get Transderm V patches cheaper or similar in cost than Ebay?  Because otherwise, I am going to order a years worth online...

Be extremely careful of purchasing stuff like that on the internet / eBay. There’s a lot of counterfeit products out there and they come in packaging that is identical to the real thing... however, the fake products may either be ineffective or outright toxic. 

Edited by crooooze
  • Like 2

I usually board with a six-pack of Ginger Ale

and some Ginger Snaps/cookies as well.

When I order anything to drink at dinner, it's often a Ginger Ale -again.

Works wonderfully.

Ginger is a great stomach-settler. As is Angostura Bitters!

Seasickness is often associated with hunger - EAT something!

2 hours ago, cruiselover1025 said:

I was talking to a friend in Canada who said he can buy the "good ones" for under $20 at any pharmacy.    I checked ebay canada and found those exact same Transderm V for sale for $40 for two.   

Like the previous poster, I would be extremely hesitant to buy any pharmaceutical from an eBay source due to the risk of counterfeits. However your brand appears to be available on the Canadian Amazon site.

4 hours ago, cruiselover1025 said:

I need transdermal patches to avoid seasickness....  Up until last year I was buying "Transderm V" patches (pack of 2) for each 7 day cruise.  These were the best but quite expensive where I live ($115 ) and now I cant find that brand name anyplace..  I tried another cheaper brand, but they didnt work at all, and it ruined my cruise.   I was talking to a friend in Canada who said he can buy the "good ones" for under $20 at any pharmacy.    I checked ebay canada and found those exact same Transderm V for sale for $40 for two.   

I wonder why we have to pay so much in the USA for these patches (if you can even find them).   Does anyone know where I can get Transderm V patches cheaper or similar in cost than Ebay?  Because otherwise, I am going to order a years worth online...

Hi

Yes Transderm V patch can be purchased over the counter in Canada. You don't need a prescription, but you do need to ask the pharmacist for it. Last time I remember it was about $16. That would be CDN funds, maybe $12 US. 

Why don't you get your friend to mail you some?

...or just go visit your friend and buy your own :classic_biggrin:

They typically are not covered by insurance here...maybe that's why they charge more for it in the States.

Edited by Nic6318

On 3/10/2019 at 4:01 PM, Aplmac said:

I usually board with a six-pack of Ginger Ale

and some Ginger Snaps/cookies as well.

When I order anything to drink at dinner, it's often a Ginger Ale -again.

Works wonderfully.

Ginger is a great stomach-settler. As is Angostura Bitters!

Seasickness is often associated with hunger - EAT something!

There is a controversy over how much if any actual ginger is in commercial ginger ales., Seagrams, Canada Dry, etc.  It is probably the carbonation that is tummy settling.  For drinks with real ginger, opt for the ginger beers.  These can usually be found at Alchemy.

• Like 1

Buying medicine online can be quite risky as there is a chance you will get a counterfeit. If you can come up to Canada to buy some or get your friend to send you some, I think that would be best. With the exchange rate being so favourable, even paying for the cost of shipping would mean that you still pay less than what you used to pay.

If you are looking for a non-patch alternative, I have found that ginger non-drowsy Gravol, sea bands, and bringing ginger to eat on board has worked for me. I also bring saltine crackers to eat. Eating really does help, though of course you don't want to overdo it. Ginger ale is also something that has worked for me in the past. In terms of the edible ginger, I'm not talking about the ginger itself. I'm not sure what the English name would exactly be, but the best translation I can think of would be candied ginger. I usually buy some from a bulk Chinese herbal medicine store in my city.

As far as seasickness goes, a waiter on one of our cruises told me to suck on a lemon wedge(s) and the relief was almost instaneous.  Now, for nausea or upset stomach, that's the only thing we use in our family.

Where ever you have bought them you got ripped off.

Transderm Scop. SCOPOLAMINE is used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by motion sickness, anesthesia and surgery. The lowest GoodRx price for the most common version of generic Transderm Scop is around $27.49, 65% off the average retail price of $80.47.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:35 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Where ever you have bought them you got ripped off.

Transderm Scop. SCOPOLAMINE is used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by motion sickness, anesthesia and surgery. The lowest GoodRx price for the most common version of generic Transderm Scop is around $27.49, 65% off the average retail price of $80.47.

Do they actually HAVE them?

Based on other threads, the generic version has not been available for a while.

While I agree to be cautious about buying meds online, it is no different than anything else bought online.

For eBay, look at the seller feedback.  The market will speak.

There are also some online pharmacies (search).  Some require a prescription for certain meds.  I have ordered from a Canadian Online Pharmacy.

There are a lot of lower costs medicines coming from India.  Even on prescribed med I take, it a generic, that comes from India, but then through a US drug company.   And I have ordered some stuff from an Indian supplier with good results.

On 3/13/2019 at 5:32 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

There is a controversy over how much if any actual ginger is in commercial ginger ales., Seagrams, Canada Dry, etc.  It is probably the carbonation that is tummy settling.  For drinks with real ginger, opt for the ginger beers.  These can usually be found at Alchemy.

Or, better yet, have the bartender make a Moscow Mule (vodka, ginger beer, and lime).

34 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Or, better yet, have the bartender make a Moscow Mule (vodka, ginger beer, and lime).

Or Dark and Stormy.   Ginger Beer and Dark Rum. 😄