Lack of daily activities

Ktuluorion

1 hour ago, hcat said:

FYI everyone

Just read a great Cruise Critic Article with photos on new Exciting ships..

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/3703/?et_cid=3224288&et_rid=16760876&et_referrer=NULL

Rec everyone take a look... you may find a new choice for a future cruise.We are going to take a serious closer look at the Princess ship...looking forward to reviews. Brief highlights below... ( hope that's okay?) 

Norwegian Encore...10,000 sq ft vitual reality space, go Kart track that extends over the sea, 90 version of Kinky Boots, Cavern Club  with standup standing room performances.

Carnival Panorama... sky zone trampoline park with 12 lane trampoline court, aqua park, sky ride, ropes course (Mex Riviera)

Carnival Sunrise...built on bones of Carn Triumph, waterslide, waterworks play area, ropes course...

One of the Carnival ships has a fam friendly exclusive area,,,sounds interesting!

Sky Princess.....MUTS, Adult Only Sanctuary, Enclave--- large thermal suite area, La Mer  specialty  restaurant, Jazz lounge, piano bar

Careful with Carnival's "Sunshined" ships, usually Carnival's way of rebranding a vessel that is getting too much negative attention.  When the "Destiny" turned into "Sunshine", sure it had new bells and whistles, but the reviews have continued to come in less than stellar.

I'm the most curious about the Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection, once they have more builds, and the price comes down.

1 hour ago, jkgourmet said:

When Princess starts to offer the alcohol package and free gratuities at fares that compare to X, I'd be the first one on line to book. 

I’d take a look when they offer their Sip ‘n Sail promotion. Our 13 night cruise was less than 7 nights on X.

Some activities cost little for X to run.  Spent some time with a couple who teach ballroom dancing.  Not only don't they get paid, they don't even get a free cruise, just discounted fare.  I'm sure X could find folks willing to run all sorts of activities under similar arrangement. 

• Like 1

What does everyone think o the American Ballet partnership?  Ballet is not really my thing, but I honestly think the regular shows are losing their steam, to the point where it has to be a step in the right direction.  I compared my wife's footage of iBroadway from last Halloween on Infinity, to footage from 2013, and there is obviously some talent or passion decline.

I see footage of MSC, NCL, or Princess shows and realize, "Wow, this is not X's strong suite."

We are both in our 60s and have cruised on a few lines, having taken our first with Celebrity - the the Med - last year. We don't need/want wall-to-wall entertainment, pub crawls, hairy chest contests etc but would have liked more entertainment than there was.

On other cruises, OH has enjoyed 'hosted' bridge and I usually join the passenger choir but neither of these were on offer. We did enjoy the trivia, such as it was, but that was largely down to fellow CCers we met via Roll Call, and we also arranged some other activities this way.

I used to laugh that 'reading' (open library and quiet area) was listed as an 'activity' every day 😁

I enjoyed the first, in house, production show as the 'bed sheet' act was new to us. However, that got old very quickly, especially as some of the guest entertainers also performed the same kind of act.

Of course we would consider Celebrity again if the itinerary and price were exceptional - but that is a big 'If' 😞

I have been cruising Celebrity since 1996 and I have to agree with most posters that entertainment options have slipped considerably.  Yes, I bought a race horse.  I miss Michael's Club on the M Class (as that was the piano bar).  Are there so many Elite + cruisers that it pays to make it a private lounge and then leave it closed every evening.  I miss the reggae music on the Caribbean cruises, it was so appropriate and put you "in the mood".  I also miss the acappella groups that wandered the ship.  And so much more...

Having said all that, I just returned from a cruise and I took my son and daughter-in-law along.  They had never cruised before and thought everything was absolutely wonderful.  I had to be careful not to tell them how far downhill things have gone.  I was happy to see how much they enjoyed everything that remains.  So the cruise lines know that there is a whole new generation out there that will never know what was and they will be happy with what is.  Unfortunately we live in a time when the bottom line is all about profit and customer satisfaction comes second.  Celebrity seems to be walking the line between the premium and the mundane experience.  I think they still offer the best "bang for your buck".  I have not found one to compare yet (at the price).

1 hour ago, Qmadam said:

I have been cruising Celebrity since 1996 and I have to agree with most posters that entertainment options have slipped considerably.  Yes, I bought a race horse.  I miss Michael's Club on the M Class (as that was the piano bar).  Are there so many Elite + cruisers that it pays to make it a private lounge and then leave it closed every evening.  I miss the reggae music on the Caribbean cruises, it was so appropriate and put you "in the mood".  I also miss the acappella groups that wandered the ship.  And so much more...

Having said all that, I just returned from a cruise and I took my son and daughter-in-law along.  They had never cruised before and thought everything was absolutely wonderful.  I had to be careful not to tell them how far downhill things have gone.  I was happy to see how much they enjoyed everything that remains.  So the cruise lines know that there is a whole new generation out there that will never know what was and they will be happy with what is.  Unfortunately we live in a time when the bottom line is all about profit and customer satisfaction comes second.  Celebrity seems to be walking the line between the premium and the mundane experience.  I think they still offer the best "bang for your buck".  I have not found one to compare yet (at the price).

Michaels Club was converted to a suites lounge  when Celebrity started focusing on adding additional benefits to Suites.  The same time as when they starting class segmenting the dining rooms. I used to enjoy the string quartets in Michaels before the conversion.  Now no public Michaels and no string quartet.

Many other activities went away or became charge for when Canyon Ranch took over the spa with increased staff and the CD staff was reduced.

3 hours ago, villauk said:

I’d take a look when they offer their Sip ‘n Sail promotion. Our 13 night cruise was less than 7 nights on X.

That could provide an opportunity, and ill watch out for it.  May I ask what kind of cabin you are using for a comparison?

3 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

What does everyone think o the American Ballet partnership?  Ballet is not really my thing, but I honestly think the regular shows are losing their steam, to the point where it has to be a step in the right direction.  I compared my wife's footage of iBroadway from last Halloween on Infinity, to footage from 2013, and there is obviously some talent or passion decline.

I see footage of MSC, NCL, or Princess shows and realize, "Wow, this is not X's strong suite."

Am Ballet partnership is exciting...but unfortunately not on any of our booked cruises..

On our Millennium cruise last month the CD was useless but there were 5 live music acts the house band, an Argentinian jazz quartet, a string duo to die for and 2 solo singer guitarists. Best I’ve ever had on my few Celeb sailings. They started around 1pm and you could usually find one of them playing up until 10:30 and then the house band in the Cosmos until 11:30.

A dedicated piano bar would be great we loved the duelling pianos on our first ever cruise on NCL 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villauk said:

Balcony.

Thank you.  I do wonder if the free gratuities that I get when I book with X from my big online TA would push the cost of Princess considerably above, but sometimes paying A LITTLE more is worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 7:32 PM, Slugsta said:

We are both in our 60s and have cruised on a few lines, having taken our first with Celebrity - the the Med - last year. We don't need/want wall-to-wall entertainment, pub crawls, hairy chest contests etc but would have liked more entertainment than there was.

On other cruises, OH has enjoyed 'hosted' bridge and I usually join the passenger choir but neither of these were on offer. We did enjoy the trivia, such as it was, but that was largely down to fellow CCers we met via Roll Call, and we also arranged some other activities this way.

I used to laugh that 'reading' (open library and quiet area) was listed as an 'activity' every day 😁

I enjoyed the first, in house, production show as the 'bed sheet' act was new to us. However, that got old very quickly, especially as some of the guest entertainers also performed the same kind of act.

Of course we would consider Celebrity again if the itinerary and price were exceptional - but that is a big 'If' 😞

Just off the 3/24 Summit.  The ballet - and I am not a fan - was amazing! 2 dancers and they did 2 numbers.  The first was White Swan from Swan Lake.  That was followed by an AMAZING violinist - can't remember her name but I will look it up and she deserves recognition.  She was a Lindsey Sterling type.  After her came the 2nd ballet - a modern one.  So, so good.  I am glad I saw this.  However, they only have plans for 8 or 9 more performances this year fleet-wide.  So we were lucky to be at one of them.  The captain had to slow the ship down during the performance.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2019 at 9:45 AM, elaineb said:

Just off the 3/24 Summit.  The ballet - and I am not a fan - was amazing! 2 dancers and they did 2 numbers.  The first was White Swan from Swan Lake.  That was followed by an AMAZING violinist - can't remember her name but I will look it up and she deserves recognition.  She was a Lindsey Sterling type.  After her came the 2nd ballet - a modern one.  So, so good.  I am glad I saw this.  However, they only have plans for 8 or 9 more performances this year fleet-wide.  So we were lucky to be at one of them.  The captain had to slow the ship down during the performance.

Do you know anything about the classes they will be offering?  We are on one of the sailings with the partnership (this Saturday!!) and am beyond stoked to be able to take a company barre class.

I love Swan Lake - loved performing it and love watching it.  The music is so beautiful and dramatic.  But, a good modern ballet is just as amazing.  TIA!!

I've done a TA on Royal,(Liberty), and one on X,(Eclipse.)  I really didn't notice much difference in daytime activities between the two.  We're getting ready to do a TP to Hawaii next week and it will be interesting to see how that compares to Princess which did an excellent job with Hawaii.

I cruise on different ships/lines for different reasons and if I'm looking for non stop entertainment, then my only choice is an Oasis class ship.

On 4/8/2019 at 10:31 PM, DancerOT said:

Do you know anything about the classes they will be offering?  We are on one of the sailings with the partnership (this Saturday!!) and am beyond stoked to be able to take a company barre class.

I love Swan Lake - loved performing it and love watching it.  The music is so beautiful and dramatic.  But, a good modern ballet is just as amazing.  TIA!!

Sorry it took me so long to answer.  They had one Basic Ballet Barre Class which you had to sign up at the Guest Relations Desk on Thursday our sea day at 10AM, then a Q&A session at 2PM.  There was another Q&A session on Friday at 10AM.  I did not attend any of these.  Good luck getting into the class!

On 3/22/2019 at 8:14 PM, Qmadam said:

This is a great post...nice that you could appreciate the new cruisers' enjoyment without comparing to what it used to be like.....and what you say makes sense.. Happy we had our great times   in the past but still enjoy  cruising on X and  hope the newer cruisers find much to enjoy !

Ballet partnership is awesome!

Edited by hcat