Increase in gratuity

Markanddonna

50 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

You would think that there would be some money available to compensate the "poor hardworking" crew when Frank Del Rio pockets $10,494,213 and Andy Stuart $3,203,061. I guess it is better to squeeze the customer by nickle and diming with the pretense that it is going to those overworked members.

hear hear!  but coming from a country  ( Venezuela )i do think the amount of money those employees make on a ship it considered a lot of money in their countries. They make more than they ever will back home otherwise you would read more complaints...

29 minutes ago, patrice1 said:

The problem I'm having is that I want to pre-pay my grats now but on the NCL site you click on to pay them, it states it's not available at this time. Huh? How do I pay before 3/31 if the website won't let me?

If you booked thru a TA they can Get that done for you. If you booked with NCL call them and speak to a cruise consultant. I’m sure they can help you do that. My cruise consultant did it for me. 

49 minutes ago, patrice1 said:

The problem I'm having is that I want to pre-pay my grats now but on the NCL site you click on to pay them, it states it's not available at this time. Huh? How do I pay before 3/31 if the website won't let me?

From my understanding, as long as you prepay before the cut off online BEFORE your trip, you will still have the current rate, before the increase. 

54 minutes ago, patrice1 said:

Just call Norwegian, they should be able to help you with that payment over the phone.

2 hours ago, patrice1 said:

Call NCL.

today I looked at NCL site and it says this: and they upped it a penny lol

How much are the service charges?

For bookings made prior to April 1st, 2019, that prepay their service charges before their sail date:

For all ships excluding Norwegian Sky All-Inclusive and Norwegian Sun All-Inclusive

• $17.50 USD per person per day for The Haven, Concierge and Suites;
    • $14.50 USD per person per day for all other stateroom types

Norwegian Sky All-Inclusive and Norwegian Sun All-Inclusive

• $23 USD per person per day for Suites;
    • $20 USD per person per day for all other stateroom types

For bookings made on or after April 1, 2019 or for sailings April 1, 2019 and beyond whose service charges have not been prepaid:

For all ships excluding Norwegian Sky All-Inclusive and Norwegian Sun All-Inclusive

• $18 USD per person per day for The Haven, Concierge and Suites
    • $15 USD per person per day for all other stateroom types
Edited by tumblew467

On 3/15/2019 at 3:47 PM, patrice1 said:

We have another cruise booked in the fall that was done through a group booking.  Paid gratuities were one of the perks we received.  When I click into that reservation it says the same thing that you have found.  You might want to double check your reservation and see if you haven't already had them paid at some point.  Could have been an included perk or done at final payment if you're past that.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:37 PM, erdoran said:

i still shake my head the people who talk about how horrible it is to remove DSC and instead tip the same amount or more directly to the staff that serve you.  There is NO ASSURANCE that 100% of the DSC goes to the staff the DSC people are so concerned about.  There is a better chance that the $10 or $20 I hand someone will end up in their pocket.

Having said that, I still pay my DSC out of guilt - but with all the talk here about paying DSC and then tipping extra on top of it, let me ask - 

wasn’t the DSC instead of the little envelopes?  Why DSC and envelopes too?  Doesn’t that reinforce the appearance that DSC goes to NCL and not to the staff, if you have to pay DSC to tip the staff—and then are expected to tip them again directly?

And while I’m on my soapbox, why are suites/Haven DSC rates higher?  The steward has fewer rooms to clean.  The butler and concierge are tipped directly.  This is especially true for non-Haven suites - those rooms in particular get no extra services other than butler/concierge, so why are they charged a higher DSC?

Haven guest to service ratio is extremely high.  There was always someone nearby to get food, drinks, towels, etc.  At the bar there was always two bartenders and waitstaff getting drink orders.  I’m surprised the rate isn’t higher even with the concierge and butler being direct tipped (not part of DSC)

23 minutes ago, Harratine said:

Haven guest to service ratio is extremely high.  There was always someone nearby to get food, drinks, towels, etc.  At the bar there was always two bartenders and waitstaff getting drink orders.  I’m surprised the rate isn’t higher even with the concierge and butler being direct tipped (not part of DSC)

You know that makes some sense. 

Just got an email from my TA.....the charge increase is minimal. Also, the charge is "Discretionary"......not saying "Don't pay it", just pointing out that NCL does not have your back to the wall.

Edited by Beer Belly

OMG, I've never seen so many people worried about 50 cents.... Yet, these same people that are crying because the rate went up will be looking for a yearly raise for themselves. What do you think happens when you get a raise, the company you work for has to charge more for the services you provide. I wonder if these same people get all upset when their company raises prices, which i'm sure if more than 50 cents. 

On 3/15/2019 at 3:35 PM, Katwoman007 said:

I was about to freak out, till I realized it is 50 cents, per person per day. Sure, it adds up. But better than 5 dollars per person per day. 

Exactly.  We prepaid ours, but I was going to let our friends know to do that too, but saw it was only going to be $7 per couple for the week.  

I am not worried about 11 more dollars 🙂 we might pay for upcoming trip, but I have a question. Our sailing is on 03/29/2019.

Does this mean that our sailing is not affected? I was thinking that it could be partially affected.

For bookings made on or after April 1, 2019 or for sailings April 1, 2019 and beyond whose service charges have not been prepaid:

• $18 USD per person per day for The Haven, Concierge and Suites
    • $15 USD per person per day for all other stateroom type

For me I could care less about paying $1 more per night (including DH’s share) AS LONG AS it goes to crew, not to NCL’s bottom line.  I think that’s the gist of this thread - is crew getting a higher paycheck because of this, or is NCL?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, erdoran said:

For me I could care less about paying $1 more per night (including DH’s share) AS LONG AS it goes to crew, not to NCL’s bottom line.

I think that’s the gist of this thread - is crew getting a higher paycheck because of this, or is NCL?

ding ding ding

we have a winner!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, erdoran said:

For me I could care less about paying $1 more per night (including DH’s share) AS LONG AS it goes to crew, not to NCL’s bottom line.  I think that’s the gist of this thread - is crew getting a higher paycheck because of this, or is NCL?

This is obvious. It feels like NCL in some cases takes pretty good chunk of money as gratuities (like 20% on alcohol), but not sure if it all goes to the staff... as staff is definitely expecting more...

I hope at least from this increase deserving people get increase.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, erdoran said:

ding ding ding, exactly. We don't mind paying the extra 50cents but does it really work? and is the principle of the thing, when will enough be enough? i for one know what our cut off will be.  When someone says" OH my god people are freaking out about 50 cents" is not the 50 cents is the fact that they do it and we keep saying Amen to it....We will never find out if that money goes to the crew and not to corporate.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 10:10 AM, littlelulu01 said:

4 years ago the dsc was $12/day for those in suites and not in suites.  Suite dsc has increased 50% in four years compared to inflation which was a little over 5% during the same time period. If only passenger  income and the ship employees income had increased by 50% in the same period!

Service fees on purchasing dinners and drinks and spa went up from 15% to 20% during that period as well as adding the $7.95 room service fee.  

I hope ncl is taking care of their employees with all these increases. When passengers are charged such high tip rates in dsc specialty dining and beverage fees, they’re likely not tipping the extra cash they otherwise would. My fear is the ship staff resentment from decreased cash tips. 

Littlelulu01, 

Do you think that the cruise line employees who are supposed to get these "gratuities" got a 50% raise when the DSC went up 50%?  It is just a way to charge you more while making you think it is for the employees. 

If everyone on a cruise did not tip, would the employees not be paid?  Of course they would.  When someone removes the tips, do the employees still get paid the same amount?  Yes.  Are the tips reduced when you don't eat a meal or forgo housekeeping for a day?  No, but why not if you are not receiving those services?  You don't have to leave a tip at a restaurant if you don't eat there?  These questions I have asked are to illustrate how "gratuities" are not what most believe they are and not what the cruise lines want you to believe.

Thanks, 

Joe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoMoe said:

Littlelulu01, 

Do you think that the cruise line employees who are supposed to get these "gratuities" got a 50% raise when the DSC went up 50%?  It is just a way to charge you more while making you think it is for the employees. 

If everyone on a cruise did not tip, would the employees not be paid?  Of course they would.  When someone removes the tips, do the employees still get paid the same amount?  Yes.  Are the tips reduced when you don't eat a meal or forgo housekeeping for a day?  No, but why not if you are not receiving those services?  You don't have to leave a tip at a restaurant if you don't eat there?  These questions I have asked are to illustrate how "gratuities" are not what most believe they are and not what the cruise lines want you to believe.

Thanks, 

Joe

I don’t know if the hardworking crew have received the entire 50% increase we’ve incurred over the last few years but  I don’t reduce my dsc.  Ncl tells me that by paying the dsc im providing gratuity to all the crew I need to aside from the butler and concierge.  Bar and specialty dinners have the 20% mandate.  I’m not going to stiff my butler so I know I have to pay a double tip on any specialty dinners he brings me but otherwise I’m about tapped out on all the up charges,  service fees and tips and grats on top of tips and grats business.   We mostly do longer sailings.  I find a few good crew  and servers in a few different places and cash tip whoever made our vacation better.  This is done towards the end of sailing. I don’t run around the ship with wads of cash to throw at everyone who I interact with.  I find the best service I receive on a ship is done with no expectation of extra cash tips.  I might very well be a sucker for paying the dsc, but I’m not up for tallying up everyone who serves me and making sure they are taken care of with cash when I’m on a boat thousands of miles from home. I’m just fine letting ncl take care of business with my dsc.

Comments on the FB page are that crew doesn’t see the increases.  What was interesting was scrolling through the page, MSC is making DSC mandatory effective 3/31, and they also stated that they DISCOURAGE additional tipping!  That’s interesting!

29 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Comments on the FB page are that crew doesn’t see the increases.  What was interesting was scrolling through the page, MSC is making DSC mandatory effective 3/31, and they also stated that they DISCOURAGE additional tipping!  That’s interesting!

I thought they back out of making the DSC mandatory, because of the outrage of their customers or maybe it was just wishful thinking of those that remove the DSC.

Edited by NLH Arizona