More than one entree

Just got back from Freedom on Saturday.  No extra charges on Carnival.  (Yet!)

In fact, on our last night I had ordered the chicken that was breaded with something.  Of course, my mistake was just telling our waiter that I wanted the chicken breast.  There is an alternate list of about 4 items available every night, and a plain chicken breast was on that list.  I didn't like it, and only took about 2 bites.  The waiter thought there was something wrong with it.  I told him no, it was the wrong chicken.  He immediately said he would get me the correct one.  I was so full already, and told him not to worry about it because I couldn't eat another bite.  Five minutes later I had a new dinner.  I felt so bad for our waiter because I really was full.  Forced myself to take 2 bites of it.  it was definitely better than what I had originally received.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Apparently it's a trial run on some ships. 

Wonder how long it will last?

I cannot imagine that HAL has a lot of it (unlike the big brother Carnival).  CCL has ZERO plans to implement this, the posturing here saying "yet" is just that...

• Like 2

On my last cruise one night I did order two entrees because I couldn't decide which one and there was no up charge.  They are very flexible it's part of the cost of the cruise, you can get what you want, if you don't want an entree you can get a couple appetizers or an entree sized app, or any number of options.  The only reason I could see them considering charging for this in the future is if a lot of people order excessive amounts and there is excessive waste.  I'd only ever order what I feel like I can eat.  The entrees aren't huge portions anyway so don't feel bad ordering extra. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWBearFan said:

The only reason I could see them considering charging for this in the future is if a lot of people order excessive amounts and there is excessive waste. 

The only reason?  Unfortunately, cruise lines tend to copy one another with nickel and dime charges.  If HAL continues to charge for added entrees, mark my words....other lines will follow.  As long as cruises remain at the same cost as 20 years ago, they will continue to slowly morph into ala carte vacations.  It's the unfortunate truth.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

The only reason?  Unfortunately, cruise lines tend to copy one another with nickel and dime charges.  If HAL continues to charge for added entrees, mark my words....other lines will follow.  As long as cruises remain at the same cost as 20 years ago, they will continue to slowly morph into ala carte vacations.  It's the unfortunate truth.  

This is true, on the other hand I have seen as many dry on the vine and go away.  Specifically for Carnival, it is so engrained as part of the dining experience, it would be a significant change (but not beyond belief).  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

This is true, on the other hand I have seen as many dry on the vine and go away.  Specifically for Carnival, it is so engrained as part of the dining experience, it would be a significant change (but not beyond belief).  

Tablecloths were part of the dining experience too. Things change.

@Seago2😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Do you really think that the cost of a cruise hasn't changed in 20 years?

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Yes.  Actually, I think they went down.

Wow I can't imagine spending what we did on our cruise a few weeks ago 20 years ago! For less money than hubby and I spent on a 7-day, we took our whole family(2 of us, 2 kids)to Disney for a week in 2003! And yes, I'm looking at totals-food, housing, flights, rental car, souvenirs, etc.  Guess that's why I always thought only rich people cruised!

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, ilovemygrandchildren said:

We have heard that you can not longer order more than one entree with an additional fee?  Is this true?

Yes, you can order as much as you want, with no fee. I just got off the Breeze, and although I only ordered doubles of appetizers and deserts, there were other people that ordered more than one entree.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

I always order double on lobster night, but that’s it.

Double? Only double? I eat about a billion of them..... or at least 3. Lobster 2 through ???? I tell them to bring the lobster only, no sense wasting the shrimp and veggies.

Edited by Steve551

20 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

I always order double on lobster night, but that’s it.

I sat next to a guy on the Splendor one time that no lie, ordered "five lobstahs". Imo you should be allowed a second entrée because like some of the other people said, you may not like the first one, you may want to try something new or maybe one just isn't enough but I think anything after your second entrée and you should be charged.

2 hours ago, coevan said:

The A.I. is generally classier, less crowded, better food and more free amenities. 

And dead after 900 pm.  Cruises blow away AI's when it comes to entertainment options. Cruises are better for night owls, AI's for those early risers that like to lay on the beach and bake.

• Like 3