Why no straws?

Fishkillbill

3 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Do yourself a favor and search the other dozen threads on this topic before this discussion turns ridiculous 😳add in some topics about dogs on the ship and you have an afternoons worth of reading material 😉

Perhaps you have hit on a solution.  Train the dogs to eat the straws :).  

Hank

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

They have done away with most of the plastic water bottles on Edge and shifting to wax coated paper boxes.

Hi Jim:  I hope you are having a good day.  I am unable to message you through your profile, so I thought I would stalk you out on a post, if that is okay 🙂  

I have questions re: your transpacific crossing and I posted it on the Millennium Sept 2018 rollcall.  Would you mind popping over there to answer it.  I don't want to hijack your roll call here.  I would really appreciate that.  Thank you.  

-Cory jo 

Question:  What are they doing to replace those very thin straws that come with cocktails?  If they have also disappeared, how does one stir their alcoholic drink as the ice melts?  You know - the ones we used to attempt to tie in a knot using our tongues?

(I'm serious about this question - not being sarcastic)

Edited by jkgourmet

20 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Question:  What are they doing to replace those very thin straws that come with cocktails?  If they have also disappeared, how does one stir their alcoholic drink as the ice melts?  You know - the ones we used to attempt to tie in a knot using our tongues?

(I'm serious about this question - not being sarcastic)

I was on the Rhapsody and a few times I had to use a hard swirl and wiggly shake..... My next cruise I am bringing a pack of wooden sticks to stir my drinks with. You can buy a pack of 1000 of them on Amazon for about $10.  I will just grab a handful and bring them with me... 

Edited by Atlanta_Cruiser

2 hours ago, CruisinRoxy said:

Do what we did as kids.  Use Twizzlers as a straw. And then eat it when you’re done! Problem solved. No waste!  

Single malt through a Twizzler straw  is all the rage right now! 😀Try it!

6 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Ditto.   Thank you tree huggers.  What about all the plastic water bottles onboard?  

Tree Huggers???

The darn plastic straws are being replaced with paper straws. 

Are they hugging those trees to death?

4 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

Eventually, That's gonna lead to Celebrity reversing it's liberal policy allowing people to bring cases of water on the ship. 

We bring 4 to 6 btls of Fiji and supplement that in the ports.  Could never carry more than that..

Tried  the taste  of the metal  btl water.. did not care for it. The content is not  pure spring water without added anything!   I try to eat and drink fairly salt free...good for bp and reduces unecessary  bloat.  Several threads on the water  show  the ingredient label  ( see search feature)

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

They have done away with most of the plastic water bottles on Edge and shifting to wax coated paper boxes.

Huh..what happened to the metal ones?    Is there spring water in the little plastic coated ones..if so,  I'd use those.

7 hours ago, mcolem2v said:

I think it maybe due the fact plastic water bottles can be recycled while plastic straws cannot be recycled.

Took the All AccessTour on EDGE and  on one stop we toured the recycling facility.  It was all fairly impressive and an ambitious effort. Lots of hard workers down there ( also in the laundry) .  All staff recycling efforts  are rewarded  with incentives.

I asked about the market for the recycling materials.  Markets for much of it  where we live have dried up  we are told, b/c  China no longer wants it . Answer was the officer in charge did not know.  Her staff's  job is to sort materials,  crush, compress and compact, etc,  It gets off loaded to another entity,..  (Tour did not adress liquid waste )

Highly rec this tour

9 hours ago, Elevatorman said:

We take our own , the day of the straw is over. When my granddaughter came home from college she informed me that I am killing whales and other sea creatures. She got me some bamboo straws and showed me how to clean them. Thank goodness she went back to school.

Fortunately your grand daughter and the next generation will be taking a lot better care of our planet than the current generation and most people on this thread.  It’s so easy to give up plastic and every little helps.  

• Like 3

We have a home on the beach in the Caribbean and each day starts with a bag collecting plastic waste off the beach.  Plastic straws, bottles, bottle caps, plastic utensils, it is just sickening.  Hopefully when the biodegradable alternatives become more cost effective the plastic garbage trashing our oceans will stop.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, florisdekort said:

Fortunately your grand daughter and the next generation will be taking a lot better care of our planet than the current generation and most people on this thread.  It’s so easy to give up plastic and every little helps.  

I wonder how much that "brainwashing" cost her parents?       

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We too have a just post college daughter living at home.. We are happily using the "straws" from various pump bottles that are no longer needed, and then place a bunch of them in the dishwasher.  I do not view our family as tree huggers, but rather folks who have a raised awareness and are doing small things to make a difference.  I'm certain that when she moves into her own place we will continue the practice.  

Scanditaly

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

Gang

Sorry, but I’m not sure why we have a second thread on “straws” when there was already one underway?

Help me to understand.

Randy

Hmm...so straw pollution hits CC!

• Haha 1

We tried the straw on our recent Edge cruise and we both found it to have a strange smell or taste.  We then went without and survived but they do need to try something else.  Also did not like the small water in metal cans so we got the Evian water in large bottles.  I appreciate they are trying.

Paper straw does not mean it comes from tree. It is just plant based that can be from corn, grass, recycle paper, or other source of cellulose, not neccessarily from a tree. I saw corn "plastic" straw in supermarket too. There are multiple ways to tackle the problem: reuse, reduce, recycle, and replacement; although some way may work better than others. I remember we needed to pay for a straw when I was really little. That may come back just like plastic bags at grocery store.

Edited by Tourist1292

Two months ago on Royal Caribbean there were no longer any plastic straws. My wife who tends towards the frozen drinks had no problems as far as taste. The straws held up pretty well but did seem to get a little limp if she nursed the drinks too long.

11 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

Gang

Sorry, but I’m not sure why we have a second thread on “straws” when there was already one underway?

Help me to understand.

Randy

For the same reason that there are 1,560,284,301 posts about chair hogs and 4,763,098 post about drink packages.