Booked Crystal

Orator

Booked 8 day Crystal OV for less than Balcony on Edge. Crystal includes drinks, internet, gratuities and 3 dinners in Specialty restaurants. Believe that Celebrity needs to make some adjustments. Celebrity is still my line of choice and I currently have 3 cruises booked, but things could change.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

Is that is a special deal thru a TA?

Also requires air back from San Juan.

It was a special through Crystal, via a TA.

I will use miles for air. Air starts at 151 to Miami on American.

20 minutes ago, Orator said:

December 6, 2019

$3930 taxes and port charges included! That's for both of us

Great deal, Charles -- hope that you and Cyndee have a great cruise! Would love to hear about it, when you return! 😎

2 hours ago, Orator said:

Booked 8 day Crystal OV for less than Balcony on Edge. Crystal includes drinks, internet, gratuities and 3 dinners in Specialty restaurants. Believe that Celebrity needs to make some adjustments. Celebrity is still my line of choice and I currently have 3 cruises booked, but things could change.

You will love Crystal.  Their level of service is outstanding as is their food.  They are our favorite cruise line; however, we sail Celebrity more frequently.  It is so nice not to have to present a card or sign a chit.  We are sailing Edge in April on a TA and booked a suite.  Very interested to compare the Edge Retreat with Crystal. Sailing with Crystal on the Serenity in September doing a Med cruse.

1 hour ago, Orator said:

December 6, 2019

Brilliant. You could be paying close to that pp on Edge over here in the summer for 7 nights!

Please let us know what you think. We have nothing booked for next year as of yet as we’re presently keeping our options open.

Anxious to hear what you think of Crystal.  My TA has been trying to get me to sail with them for years.  I believe their single supplement is quite reasonable.

Not surprised about the price differential.  Edge prices are insane.  I can't believe people are paying them.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
  • Like 3

Nice Charles, sounds like a bargain compared to Edge.  Do you know what the balcony/veranda fare would be?  Jeff and I have expanded a bit recently and are quite fond of Viking Ocean, were not fans of Oceania.  

Hope you and Cydnee are well.  It’s been a couple of years since we cruised together.  Katie

The majority of our cruises have been on Celebrity and Crystal. We love both lines for each of their individual strengths. There’s no way you can make an apples to apples comparison because of the different nature of all-inclusive vs non. So just go and enjoy and have a great time! 

10 hours ago, Orator said:

December 6, 2019

Great deal, for what many would consider the best of the best.  I would hands down prefer this over Haven, the Retreat, or the Yacht Club.  I'm hoping with all the new Viking Ocean builds, we can see more reposition options and deals moving forward.

Orator, we will be interested in your review. We need to consider alternative cruise lines...

We normally cruise twice per year, once world wide and once in the Med. With two M ships in the Med and Edge (no S class our preferred) we cannot justify the high pricing for the dated M ships and the ridiculously high prices for Edge. We did some searching re alternative cruise lines but couldn’t decide so we are going to spend the Summer enjoying the U.K. Next year we have an Asian cruise booked but probably will try another line in Europe unless Celebrity prices become more reasonable.

We honestly have no desire to use another cruise line, we really enjoy the product but the pricing (particularly in the Mediterranean) just doesn’t seem worth it....For the price of a RS for 10 nights on Edge I can book a 4 bedroom villa with private pool in the Balearic Islands with flights and car hire for 6 weeks...

Look forward to following your adventures on Crystal, we may give it a go ourselves. 

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing. We've never cruised on Crystal, always been with Celebrity. We value the amenities so we typically purchase them. But with the Celebrity prices so high, especially considering the amenities, we can upgrade to Crystal for about the same price (and get the bonus of some new itineraries). 

1 hour ago, Orator said:

Yes. There will be one on my cruise on day 2.

Have to let us know how that is.  I'm so used to sparkly tops with black slacks that I might be intimidated by Crystal.

DH would probably need a new tux.  The old one is ….now get this...… too BIG.

• Like 1

The new builds combined with the $400 million they are speeding per ship for the updates must create debt. They appear to be raising prices and cutting expenses to pay down the debt. This I see is the great risk to the future of Celebrity. We've seen a number of loyal Celebrity cruisers opting for other lines as the Celebrity prices have risen to make luxury lines closer in price. They have appeared to abandon their core market, older and more loyal cruisers in favor of younger, more affluent cruisers. They have the data, I don't so they must believe in what they're doing I have 3 Celebrity cruises booked and plan to book more, but if the pricing and value trend continues I most certainly will look to other lines like Crystal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mafig said:

Have to let us know how that is.  I'm so used to sparkly tops with black slacks that I might be intimidated by Crystal.

5 minutes ago, mafig said:

From what I understand a tux is an option and you would be fine.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Orator said:

They have appeared to abandon their core market, older and more loyal cruisers in favor of younger, more affluent cruisers. 

Wrong strategy.  Younger, more affluent travelers are likely wisest of all when it comes to value.  You would never convince them to pay extra for a suite at the Hampton Inn, over a regular room at the Ritz-Carlton or Hyatt Regency.

2 hours ago, mafig said:

The “formal” nights on Crystal are now called “Black Tie Optional”. You need not feel intimidated on any Crystal cruise, especially one in the Caribbean. 

Wow, good for you Orator!  I have been on many Celebrity cruises and loved them  But Crystal is my favorite cruise line.  I usually shy away from them as they are usually twice the price in my experiences(and only 2 ships so more limited itineraries)  So if you get a bargain like that, great for you, and grab it!  Crystal, like all cruise lines, are relaxing their dress codes more and more, and even more importantly having less of them.   A suit for their formal nights is fine(never more than once per week I have found)  They also have some great adult ed stuff that is not just cooking and art, but also how to learn Photoshop, excel etc on sea days which is very nice.   Ships are a lot less crowded naturally as a luxury line and they might be the only one who during recent refurbs actually took rooms away to have more suites, instead of figuring out places to add rooms like so many.  But price point wise, I find them hard to justify most times, so when you see a deal like that take it and run.