Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

11 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Airlift was undoubtedly the best way but sure hope to never have to do it again. That churning water sure looked a LONG way down there while hanging with just that small belt around the waist. Amazimg experience in the helicopter as well. Quite a view of the Sky on the way up to the chopper. 

You have quite a story to tell, that’s for sure...sounds like you handled it very well...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Fantastic how Viking took us to a local mall (closed on Sundays so they opened just for us) to buy whatever supplies we needed since at the time it was not known if we’d be able to get back on the ship or not. Hoping to hear more tomorrow on flights to US. Safe travels to all leaving this evening. 

Question since you're on the Sky - what is the procedure for those who were evacuated by helicopter? May I assume that they have come back onboard now that the ship's docked to gather and pack their belongings? Thanks!

Whoops! Read your post better - were you part of the group evacuated by helicopter?

Edited by CharTrav

5 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Contrary to the previous post, the survival craft (lifeboats & liferafts) are NOT useless. During the entire situation they will have been available for use, but in those conditions, it would have been both challenging and uncomfortable.

The simplified Coles notes version of lifeboat launching - with the ship rolling the boats would be securely "Bowsed" to the ship to keep the boats alongside during loading. Loading on a rolling ship would be challenging, as would the launching. The boat is lowered to the water and the modern release gear should release the boat from the Falls. Not sure of SOLAS changes since I retired, but all lifeboats I sailed with were not self-righting, but have lines to perform this role. However lifeboats have sufficient buoyancy that they will float even when filled to the gunnels with water.

Is it a dangerous operation in those conditions, most definitely - Yes, which is why I assume the Master will have opted for helo ops. However, if required, the survival craft could be used, as a last resort.

I have lowered lifeboats and liferafts at sea in 30 kt winds and 8 - 10 ft waves, but unlike the Viking Sky Master, I did have full use of props/thrusters to assist the launch crews..

Andy's intimate knowledge of passenger shipping is spot on.  One other factor in not launching the boats/rafts is there was a very near rocky lee shore.  This means wind and seas could very easily have swept the lifeboats, and certainly the un powered life rafts into the rocks with unfortunate results.  Lifeboats have relatively low power diesel engines and are rather bulky.  Not the best device for maneuvering in heavy seas and winds blowing onto a near rocky shore.  Many miles out in the ocean would be a different scenario completely.  Also, the helicopters had rather short runs in from just off the rocks.  Worst case the passengers would have been safer on the ship even if she drifted down on the rocks.

• Like 2

@gretschwhtfalcon again. My apologies for not reading your earlier post. The activity on this thread is so fast and furious, it's hard to keep up. Please keep us posted on your situation especially your ability to recover your belongings. And ooo I'm not so sure how well I would have done being suspendes in mid air. Terrified and with eyes shut I'm sure. Would NOT have been looking down. 

I also hope that the Captain and his crew are having a stiff drink tonight. Imagine being so responsible for so many lives.

From what I am reading they all did an amazing job. Just wish we could afford a Viking cruise ...

• Like 4

I am a NCL cruiser who has been following this thread since post #1.  All I can say, besides thank God for the PAX now safe, kudos to the Viking crew and all who assisted in the rescue. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

Regarding life boats...remember the crew has to get in too.  🙂 

Some ships have special provisions for the majority of the crew other than the lifeboats the pax would be in. The link is to an Instagram from one of the captains on Celebrity. She happened to post some pix and video of a drill they did for the MES that takes care of the crew on her ship. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvXPQHdHA6x/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

She included video of herself evacuating during the drill. 

The broader point of evacuation capacity is, yes ALL souls get a seat on something when the ship is evacuated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Question since you're on the Sky - what is the procedure for those who were evacuated by helicopter? May I assume that they have come back onboard now that the ship's docked to gather and pack their belongings? Thanks!

Whoops! Read your post better - were you part of the group evacuated by helicopter?

Yes. Evacuated last evening around 8. To my knowledge no evac’d pax have been allowed back on the ship yet, but certainly can’t speak for those leaving tonight. I suspect their things might be shipped to them if they couldn’t board. We are in the hotel until further notice. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We were on the VIking Sky last May on the Homelands cruise, so seeing all the shots of the Explorers Lounge and more were rather unnerving.   Our trip was one of the best we've ever had, and due in major part to the Viking staff and crew, including the Captain and his officers.  We always felt that our best interests were being taken care of.

I am so glad that this Crew has handled themselves so well and that the passengers safety has been the most important thing.  We are scheduled for future Viking Cruises and this just makes me realize how good they are.  I will appreciate it!

As I told my wife, though, I think I will pay a LOT more attention to the muster drills  🙂  🙂

Seriously - many kudos to the Viking folks for how they handled this very tense and difficult situation.  So glad that everyone is safe and heading home - what stories they will have to tell their children and grandchildren!  (Especially those who took the helicopter ride)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

Yes. Evacuated last evening around 8. To my knowledge no evac’d pax have been allowed back on the ship yet, but certainly can’t speak for those leaving tonight. I suspect their things might be shipped to them if they couldn’t board. We are in the hotel until further notice. 

You are all very brave and thank you so much for your posts - from someone who has experienced the actual rescue!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

@Heide13, from your experience, which contributes greatly and I’m appreciative, in your opinion does the decision Hurtigruten made to keep its ships, though smaller and serving a different purpose, in port the same day impugn Viking’s decision to sail in these circumstances?

I expect all manner of allegations will be be made in lawsuits, which depending on their extent and how settled, we may never have the full story. I’m particularly concerned about the numerous mechanical/electrical/propulsion issues Viking’s been having with their comparatively newer ships. We sailed Homelands last May/June (it was fabulous) Cruise the Med aboard the Star soon. 

The decision to sail, or not, is made by the Captain based on the weather forecasts, routing advice and also the content of their Operations Manual. I have no knowledge of Viking or Hurtigruten manuals, which may, or may not include a weather matrix. When developing an Ops Manual for my last company, I introduced a weather matrix, which basically provided cut-off points for weather and/or mechanical issues. If the entire Hurtigruten fleet tied up, then my best guess is they have some type of weather matrix in their Ops Manual.

You also need to consider the different types of ships and the routes being sailed. Hurtigruten are primarily a ferry service and in severe winds the movement of large vehicles is a very significant issue.  Yes, I have crawled around on a vehicle deck trying to re-secure vehicles (semis/lorries) to prevent them tipping in a violent storm and it isn't fun. Ferries also tend to have different GM's than cruise ships, which make them stiffer - don't roll as far, but return upright faster. This puts a significant load on vehicle lashings. 

Being in port during a storm is also not the safest option, especially if the wind is off-shore and lines start to break, and no large tractor tugs are available.

In summary, I see no sense of using the Hurtigruten experience to question the Viking Sky's Master. It would be the equivalent of comparing apples to oranges. The root cause of this incident was most likely not weather related, but mechanical. The weather only became a factor when they lost power.

Also, I see no benefit to other posters speculating on weather, as this will all be reviewed in the Norwegian authorities formal incident/accident investigation, which will make appropriate recommendations to prevent a recurrence.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

@gretschwhtfalcon again. My apologies for not reading your earlier post. The activity on this thread is so fast and furious, it's hard to keep up. Please keep us posted on your situation especially your ability to recover your belongings. And ooo I'm not so sure how well I would have done being suspendes in mid air. Terrified and with eyes shut I'm sure. Would NOT have been looking down. 

Looked down a few times then focused on the chopper. I seemed to be drifting towards the UNDERside however rather then the open doorway!  But as one interviewed passenger said, they just sort of pull you in like a sack of potatoes and get ready to pull the next person(s) up. We had a passenger in a stretcher with us. One of the big, strong burly crew members was used to pull a gentleman up the steps who was in a wheelchair. He made it appear so easy.

Perhaps a bit prophetic that the Sky’s guitarist was playing “My Heart will go on” during lunch in the Wintergarden yesterday! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, cruisewiththekids said:

Do you suppose this incident will make Viking rethink this itinerary for next year?    I haven't noticed any other cruiselines offer this itinerary in the winter.   I notice Princess does a sailing in October.

Cruise and Maritime Voyages does it every year (On similarly sized ships that are much MUCH older!) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, just_dont said:

Not true.  And, not true.

From many press reports - this one from VG in Norway (translated):

The crew eventually started three out of four engines, and the ship sailed on to Molde, assisted by several tugboats.

NOT TRUE.

Where does it state that 4 engines were broken? Just because 3 engines were restarted it could jhave been anything including electrical control panels. No one knows including yourself so your statement that my message was n ot true is totally false.

Glad the dear passengers and crew are safe.

Does anyone know if prior to the engine failure and loss of propulsion - did the Sky miss ports or was late into ports?

This is a key question. If there was an engine issue before hand, often vessels reduce speed to conserve energy allowing the vessel to limp along. This usually impacts their declared schedule. 

A chronic pattern of late port arrivals, loss of ports etc is indicative of an ongoing engine/propulsion problem.

8 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

As I sit hearing reading, watching videos, looking at still pictures and finally seeing the ship moored in Molde tears stream down my face.  I am so very thankful that you and all the people onboard are safe.  I thank you for taking the time so that we can hear  your personal account of the ordeal.  I'd say that I am amazed at the professionalism of the crew during the time but that would be wrong.  Viking has always been excellent and to read how well they reacted in a true emergency confirms why I will continue to sail with them.  Safe travels home.  God bless.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Glad the dear passengers and crew are safe.

Does anyone know if prior to the engine failure and loss of propulsion - did the Sky miss ports or was late into ports?

This is a key question. If there was an engine issue before hand, often vessels reduce speed to conserve energy allowing the vessel to limp along. This usually impacts their declared schedule. 

A chronic pattern of late port arrivals, loss of ports etc is indicative of an ongoing engine/propulsion problem.

Missed Bodo.....again (as I just referred to). Was told there was no tug to help us in (?). Doesn’t quite make sense considering these itineraries are set well over a year in advance

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon
  • Like 1

Is it a surprise to the shipbuilders that water could "come crashing through the dining room window" ? If not, why were there passengers in there? Makes me think twice and thrice about ever sailing in a balcony cabin in these days of climate change. Normally "portholes" (windows directly on the hull of the ship) are small and well-reinforced - even the square passenger windows.

Looking forward to hearing how passengers were mustered, whether there was the option of staying in an inside cabin in bed with tucked-in blankets, whether anyone was hit from stuff coming down from the ceiling. Good stuff here about deploying lifeboats in heavy weather (I've tendered in lifeboats: everyone would have been seasick and the smell would be terrible.)

For experienced sailors: where would you settle yourself for a long term heavy weather? Would you change this location if you knew running aground was a possibility? What happens if a modern cruise ship runs aground in windy weather - would it take on water and perhaps even sink? (Patrick O'Brian fan here - always curious about life at sea.) Apologies if some of these questions have been answered; will read the entire thread in a bit.

No option to stay in cabins once general emergency was called. All reported to stations but then those in the dining room were moved once the sea crashed through a window. Yes people were hit by stuff coming through the ceiling. Saw this firsrhand in the lounge....at least it sure appeared that way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GGrace said:

Is it a surprise to the shipbuilders that water could "come crashing through the dining room window" ? If not, why were there passengers in there? Makes me think twice and thrice about ever sailing in a balcony cabin in these days of climate change. Normally "portholes" (windows directly on the hull of the ship) are small and well-reinforced - even the square passenger windows.

Looking forward to hearing how passengers were mustered, whether there was the option of staying in an inside cabin in bed with tucked-in blankets, whether anyone was hit from stuff coming down from the ceiling. Good stuff here about deploying lifeboats in heavy weather (I've tendered in lifeboats: everyone would have been seasick and the smell would be terrible.)

For experienced sailors: where would you settle yourself for a long term heavy weather? Would you change this location if you knew running aground was a possibility? What happens if a modern cruise ship runs aground in windy weather - would it take on water and perhaps even sink? (Patrick O'Brian fan here - always curious about life at sea.) Apologies if some of these questions have been answered; will read the entire thread in a bit.

Did NOT want to find out what would have happened if either the anchors would not have held and/or we would have hit the rocks. Suspect we might have wound up swimming. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GGrace said:

Every cabin on Viking Ocean has a balcony, no inside cabins.

For that matter, why were people allowed to stay in the lounge?  People were getting video right up at the windows too. A crew member told everyone to get back saying, “things are getting worse” but many people didn’t heed him anyway. That was the time when he should have gotten a bit tougher. We were once in a Royal Caribbean muster drill and the one crew member was like a drill sergeant!  Actually took peoples’ cell phones from them if he saw them being used. It wouldn’t seem unreasonable for a captain to tell everyone to report to their rooms until further notice. Of course, them you have a potential for patio door breakage especially on lower decks. 

• Like 2