Nieuw Statendam may be suffering engine problems, not as bad as Viking Sky!

Alphen

Viking Sky is reported having engine troubles in a storm near Norway and drifting to the coast. Apperantly she has sent out a mayday and is beeing evacuated!

https://news.sky.com/story/cruise-ships-1-300-passengers-to-be-evacuated-after-engine-failure-11673395

https://www.euronews.com/2019/03/23/cruise-ship-adrift-off-norway-to-evacuate-1300-passengers

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/23/reuters-america-update-1-cruise-ship-adrift-off-norway-to-evacuate-1300-passengers.html

Hoping all passengers and crew will be in safety soon!

vatne02.jpg

vikingsky-lange.jpg

viking sky_marinetrafficring.jpg

Edited by Alphen

I’ve been following this on the Viking forum.

Thrre is now a Twitter post video showing the furniture sliding across the room and you can hear the general alarm sounding the 8 blasts. 

It gave me the chills. We all expect nothing will ever happen and too many don’t pay attention at muster drill .

• Like 3

OMG according to the National Post they are all being evacuated by helicopter (as in hanging in the air).  It’s a very dangerous procedure because of the winds and storm.

I so feel for these people.  I’d probably have a heart atttack before I could go hanging from a helicopter.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

OMG according to the National Post they are all being evacuated by helicopter (as in hanging in the air).  It’s a very dangerous procedure because of the winds and storm.

I so feel for these people.  I’d probably have a heart atttack before I could go hanging from a helicopter.

I sure would not want to be rescued that way!

Yikes. This reminds me of what my mom and I went through during the trans Atlantic we did on the Rotterdam in September, 2004 when we lost our propulsion and were dead in the water for three hours while dealing with the effects of Hurricane Karl when we were trying to go around at the the time and then it started to break up and still got us. We were back on the Rotterdam that December for the Holidays and so many of the crew were still there and glad to see us back. They told us there was a Million Dollars worth of cosmetic damage to the ship. I still have a copy of the damage report involving all the lost beverages from the Java Cafe (at the time) where a former very dear close friend of ours was working who was a bartender. 

Oh and we were warned that day that our conditions were probably going to get worse before starting to get better later in the day and our speed was slowed down so we wouldn't get to close as we were trying to go around it but as I say"you never mess with mother nature" and sometimes she has changes in mind but doesn't bother telling anyone before doing it.

Seeing this going on with the Viking Sky so close to shore is certainly very uncomfortable as what we had happen was in the middle of the north Atlantic and for us 4 days at sea turned into 6.

Edited by rjbean4

3 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

Yikes. This reminds me of what my mom and I went through during the trans Atlantic we did on the Rotterdam in September, 2004 when we lost our propulsion and were dead in the water for three hours while dealing with the effects of Hurricane Karl when we were trying to go around at the the time and then it started to break up and still got us.

I remember that incident well, and was thinking about it earlier. How fortunate that the engines were restarted and you were able to continue on safely.
I was aboard that same Rotterdam the previous year when we had 38 hours of 45' seas, and one wave that was 80'. People were toppled over in their chairs in the dining room, and the water tight doors on Upper Promenade were breeched.
I still have pictures of both events.

Today's action with the Viking ship is even more terrifying.

We were on the Rotterdam in 99 heading towards Venice in some pretty rough seas, when the Captain came on to apologize for the ride and tell us that it was official, we were now in a hurricane force storm. He was sorry, but there was not much he could do about it, as there was no way to get away from the storm, since we were deep into the Adriatic about halfway to Venice. 

59 minutes ago, Paulinda said:

You experienced all that and you're still cruising!  Good for you RuthC. You're a sailor at heart for sure! 

Oh, sure. I barely had my first medallion then; I'm closing in on 800 'heads in beds' days now. At least I knew enough not to go around shouting "Surf's up!" :classic_laugh: 
But I was a lot more limber then, and was able to stay upright without too much trouble. Now? Not so much.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

The videos from the ship, exterior and interior, on ABC News tonight were very frightening!

I saw that report, too. A couple said they were lifted off in some kind of a sling hanging from the helicopter. Although the ship had been able to anchor, the report said they would be working through the night to get everyone off. Thank goodness for "midnight sun." It should be light very late.

One of the videos showed people sitting in lounges and wearing their life vests.

5 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

Yikes. This reminds me of what my mom and I went through during the trans Atlantic we did on the Rotterdam in September, 2004 when we lost our propulsion and were dead in the water for three hours while dealing with the effects of Hurricane Karl when we were trying to go around at the the time and then it started to break up and still got us. 

My parents were also on that cruise. They were amazingly calm about it, and very complimentary about how it was all handled by HAL officers and crew.