From FLL to Miami....

GloriaF

I have never cruised out of Miami, and all flight searches end in FLL.  Is there an inexpensive and convenient way to travel that last 50 miles?  Renting a car and staying overnight in a Miami hotel seems excessive added to the price of the cruise.  What do you do?  Any suggestions/tips appreciated!

Thanks for the replies!  

There will be 4 adults, Jiffy Jeff would be $60 + tip; does Uber/taxi charge pp or per trip?  I'll check Florida Departures board for more info.  

Thanks again!  

6 minutes ago, GloriaF said:

Thanks for the replies!  

There will be 4 adults, Jiffy Jeff would be $60 + tip; does Uber/taxi charge pp or per trip?  I'll check Florida Departures board for more info.  

Thanks again!  

Uber charges are based on the mileage and the size and quality of vehicle you require, as well as the time of day and demand. 

Renting a car and staying overnight in Miami might seem excessive until your flight to FLL is delayed and you end up missing your cruise out of Miami. Regardless of where we are cruising from, we always fly in the day before and spend a night sightseeing, touring, whatever, to pass the time. If our flight is delayed, going the day before gives us 24 hours of leeway.

We have used SAS Transport many times.  They pick up at many, many  FLL hotels, and  at the  FLL airport as well.  They have always been prompt and very accomodating.  Cost is $15 pp one-way FlLL to Port of Miami and they will pick you up at the port and return you to FLL airport also for another $15 pp.  Check out their website which is     ridesas.com.

We use the Tri-rail train that takes 35 minutes for $3.50pp on weekdays and $5pp on weekends. Free shuttle from FLL to train station. Just follow signs in baggage claim. As long as you can handle your luggage, it won't get cheaper than this.You can also download their app.

Tri Rail  train takes you to the MIA airport, leaving you a $30+ can ride from the port.:classic_ohmy:

Better get is to stay near FLL and use a shared shuttle to POM (about $15 per person) as suggested above, or use UBER XL or a van taxi for about $70+ for the car/cab.

• 3 weeks later...

Our flight is arriving in FLL at 12:51 p.m. and our ship departs from POM at 4:00 p.m. so we want to get to the ship as quickly as possible.    Should we pay the $70 for a taxi or take a ride with Jiffy Jeff or SAS for $30 \or an Uber XL?    If they don't make too many stops then the shuttles should be okay but if they stop and wait for people we could miss our ship.    We have 2 carry-ons and a small mobility scooter that folds up nicely.  We are 2 people.   Advice appreciated.

First, you need to be onboard by 2:30 pm or you will be waiving bye bye.  With that in mind, you have to hope your flight arrives on time and your mobility scooter  comes out of baggage in a timely manner. .  This will give you a small window to get to the port.  It is approximately 40-45 minutes to get to the port of Miami from Ft Lauderdale airport.   My suggestion is take the first taxi you can flag down. or arrange for uber when you land. (might take more time)  

On 4/13/2019 at 2:42 PM, mexico8 said:

Our flight is arriving in FLL at 12:51 p.m. and our ship departs from POM at 4:00 p.m. so we want to get to the ship as quickly as possible.    Should we pay the $70 for a taxi or take a ride with Jiffy Jeff or SAS for $30 \or an Uber XL?    If they don't make too many stops then the shuttles should be okay but if they stop and wait for people we could miss our ship.    We have 2 carry-ons and a small mobility scooter that folds up nicely.  We are 2 people.   Advice appreciated.

That's the tightest schedule I have ever seen.  With a 4:00 pm departure, then you need to find out the latest you can board the ship.  On my next cruise, I have a 4:00 pm departure and final boarding is at 3:00 pm.  If it's the same for your cruise, there is no time for flight delays or transportation delays.  Normally, I would suggest an Uber.   However, if my schedule was that tight, I would not waste a second of time.  Shuttles sometimes have to circle the airport to pick up people and Uber drivers will take a few minutes to find you.  I would take a taxi and let the driver know your cruise is leaving soon.  Then you can hope there are no traffic jams that will delay your ride.

Correction to my post:   Originally the cruise was departing at 7:00 p.m. so I booked the flight that arrived in FLL at 1:00 p.m.   Then the cruise line changed the departure to 6:00 p.m.   (not 4:00 p.m. as I posted.)    That gives me a little extra time to get from FLL to POM but I won't waste time at the airport.     I will check with the shuttles and see what they say about timing.   Next choice would be Uber and lastly a taxi.   I do have about 5 hours to make the cruise but I know I have to be there at least one or two hours ahead of the departure.    Thanks for you post.  I appreciate the info.

On 4/13/2019 at 4:00 PM, Missymo said:

First, you need to be onboard by 2:30 pm or you will be waiving bye bye.  With that in mind, you have to hope your flight arrives on time and your mobility scooter  comes out of baggage in a timely manner. .  This will give you a small window to get to the port.  It is approximately 40-45 minutes to get to the port of Miami from Ft Lauderdale airport.   My suggestion is take the first taxi you can flag down. or arrange for uber when you land. (might take more time)  

We will have carry-ons and my scooter gets brought to me at the door of the plane so we won't need to wait for luggage in the terminal.   We can go outside right away and get an Uber or shuttle or taxi.     I did make a mistake on the departure time for the cruise.   It is leaving at 6:00 p.m. (not 4:00 p.m.).   Originally the ship was to depart at 7:00 p.m. when I booked my flight but they moved it up to 6:00 p.m.    Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 4:49 PM, JohninDC said:

Tri Rail  train takes you to the MIA airport, leaving you a $30+ can ride from the port.:classic_ohmy:

Better get is to stay near FLL and use a shared shuttle to POM (about $15 per person) as suggested above, or use UBER XL or a van taxi for about $70+ for the car/cab.

If we took the Tei Rail from FLL to Miami, Is there an easy way to go from Miami airport to Hampton Inn Brickell?

Thanks!

7 hours ago, exercisemama said:

If we took the Tei Rail from FLL to Miami, Is there an easy way to go from Miami airport to Hampton Inn Brickell?

Thanks!

Tri-Rail will get you to the MIA airport, leaving you still about a $18+ Uber ride from your hotel, or $25-30 in a taxi.  Better bet IMHO is to use Uber straight from FLL to your hotel for about $35+.  Your call.

1 hour ago, JohninDC said:

Tri-Rail will get you to the MIA airport, leaving you still about a $18+ Uber ride from your hotel, or $25-30 in a taxi.  Better bet IMHO is to use Uber straight from FLL to your hotel for about $35+.  Your call.

I’ve used Uber before with my husband, but never with 4 of us and at least four suitcases. For the size Uber we need Would that still be about $35?

Thanks!

Also, we’ve never been to Miami, do you think that the Hampton Inn Brickell is good choice with teenage boys?

8 minutes ago, exercisemama said:

I’ve used Uber before with my husband, but never with 4 of us and at least four suitcases. For the size Uber we need Would that still be about $35?

Thanks!

Also, we’ve never been to Miami, do you think that the Hampton Inn Brickell is good choice with teenage boys?

For 4 plus bags you will need an Uber XL, which will run about $70-75: same fare for a van taxi.  Hotel should be great for your family, with lots of nearby dining options and the hotel offers a "free" breakfast. From your hotel to POM an UberXL will be under $20.

Your other option is to stay in the FLL area and then UberXL or shuttle to POM.   www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info.

1 hour ago, JohninDC said:

For 4 plus bags you will need an Uber XL, which will run about $70-75: same fare for a van taxi.  Hotel should be great for your family, with lots of nearby dining options and the hotel offers a "free" breakfast. From your hotel to POM an UberXL will be under $20.

Your other option is to stay in the FLL area and then UberXL or shuttle to POM.   www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info.

Thanks, I figured it would be more with 4 pieces of luggage. Although none of them are really big. My husband and I stayed in FLL last year prior to a cruise when our hotel in San Juan canceled our reservation. I was hoping to see the sights in Miami this time!

On 3/23/2019 at 8:24 AM, GloriaF said:

I have never cruised out of Miami, and all flight searches end in FLL.  Is there an inexpensive and convenient way to travel that last 50 miles?  Renting a car and staying overnight in a Miami hotel seems excessive added to the price of the cruise.  What do you do?  Any suggestions/tips appreciated!

We booked the cheapest hotel that had a free shuttle from FLL. Then I found a shuttle service (MJS) that would pick us up at the hotel, take us to POM and then return us to FLL after the cruise. The shuttle was $15 per person each way. It worked out great for us. I hope this helpd!