Random Notes, Mariner, 3/28-4/15/19, Shanghai-Tokyo--LIVE!*

Mr Rumor

58 minutes ago, RachelG said:

I am continuing to enjoy your pics.  Though I do have to say, about the whale restaurant, that sounds like eating roadkill, which I would be hesitant to do.

Just need to prepare it right...

Image result for roadkill helper

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

Guess what we had for dinner last night- mooseburger helper- hubby makes it quite gourmet. I think we are going to have to eat a lot of this to save up for more Regent cruises😄

I am quite an expert at cooking moose.  And it is very healthy and tasty.  I once hosted a dinner party where I prepared meatballs made of moose (like Swedish meatballs).; I brought the dish out and declared that we were having mooseballs for dinner.  My husband almost fainted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Outside of our upcoming Kyoto tour, our all-day DMZ Third Tunnel and Seoul excursion was the one I was looking forward to the most on this cruise.  It did not disappoint.  

We started with a stroll in Insadong, said to be Seoul’s  premier shopping district.  There we happened upon these young ladies who had rented traditional dress for a day on the town.

070C6B59-FBD0-47AE-89AD-0FAB36A2FCB3.thumb.jpeg.c3398a013ad5ef61f17bcbd2cb380e3a.jpeg

The shopping was good!  We picked up a number of small Korean-made gifts, all at very good set prices, with dollars happily accepted.

Lunch was a few steps off the main drag at Chon.  The fare was traditional Korean—bulgotti, a thin green onion and seafood pancake that was as big as a pizza, and various sides including kimchi.  Scrumptious.

While we waited for our bus we were entertained by a student group doing a pop-up performance of folk tunes.  

8D572C61-1AEB-4EF0-BC03-69BEACF46646.thumb.jpeg.571aadcab909edea9bb04183b9b741e5.jpeg

Then it was on to the DMZ.  At our first stop, the welcome center, you could shop for souvenirs. 

FDF00A62-6BF8-44CD-9E72-95C4C88E72B6.thumb.jpeg.50309ee0982223971599ba827f8ef77c.jpeg

You could also dine and even ride on such attractions at the small amusement park as Super Viking and The Tea Cup.  I had no idea that South Koreans flock to the DMZ to play tourist.  Here several use a reunification display at the nearby Freedom Bridge, where Korean prisoner exchanges took place, for a photo op.

5299C4D2-1C7F-411F-8AA6-06FBE07E3D52.thumb.jpeg.47393d0b11fe80bd7d256c65bb03caa7.jpeg

Next, in Part Two, our DMZ Double Main Event, the Third Tunnel followed by a glimpse of the Hermit Kingdom.  Stay tuned.  Taking a break now to catch CD John’s show.  We recall him as being pretty good!

3DB8545E-A76A-4316-89A3-6B89E5FAF64F.thumb.jpeg.9c652f18b76940fdcfcc6251adcbcb3f.jpeg

Edited by Mr Rumor
  • Like 3

Loved John’s show the most when we were on the cruise last month!  

I am really enjoying your posts about Korea.  I was in Seoul as a teen and I recall it as cold both in temperature and human interaction.   But, times have changed.  My cousin’s daughter lives there now with her husband and loves every aspect of her life there.  I guess I will have to put it on my “must visit” list. 

• Like 1

Worked with Sogang university in Seoul 20 years ago and made several trips there...Did not much like the food or the lack of politeness of the people (after years of working in Japan...)  Seems things have changed and that is great.

We are joining the Mariner on April 15th through to Vancouver. I am enjoying following along as you approach our embarkation. One question I have since I have never visited Japan. I know there is no tipping in restaurants but do we tip the guides and drivers as we do elsewhere in the world? And can we tip in US dollars or is Yen expected. What amount is generally suggested by the ship travel department? We are doing final packing today for our flight on Thursday- can't wait!

15 minutes ago, mountaindoc358 said:

We are joining the Mariner on April 15th through to Vancouver. I am enjoying following along as you approach our embarkation. One question I have since I have never visited Japan. I know there is no tipping in restaurants but do we tip the guides and drivers as we do elsewhere in the world? And can we tip in US dollars or is Yen expected. What amount is generally suggested by the ship travel department? We are doing final packing today for our flight on Thursday- can't wait!

Have a great cruise, we join the cruise in Tokyo in the 17th to Vancouver-however we depart on the 16th for a week in Asia before the cruise.

Found this for you: They say no tipping is expected, however it is done--but if you don't it's not expected and  OK not to tip in Japan. 

CD John was better than pretty good—he was Standing O good.  In his show there’s a song for everybody. . .

6494A6C3-359F-4080-B4B3-239BC1D051AB.thumb.jpeg.da8fafe5425bbe4f61d88edfaead7b86.jpeg

. . . plus his humor is a delightful mix of witty, corny, zany and playfully naughty.  His repartee with a couple of the guests had the room in stitches.  

I believe it has already been reported on this board that John is destined to serve as the Splendor’s inaugural cruise director.  He made that official from the stage last night.  For you John fans who like to track his schedule, he leaves the ship with us on April 15 (Margaret Lynn Scoggins will replace him) and will return to either the Explorer or Voyager at the end of May.   

Now to finish up on yesterday’s DMZ Third Tunnel and Seoul excursion, a little background on “Third Tunnel.”  Between 1974 and 1990, South Korean forces discovered four tunnels that North Korea had constructed spanning the DMZ for the purpose of launching a multi-front surprise attack on the South.  The Third Tunnel alone was big enough at six feet high and six feet across to move 30,000 foot soldiers per hour.

The 1,635-meter-long Third Tunnel is the only one of the tunnels discovered so far (it is believed that many exist) that is open to the public—that is, 265 meters of it.  To access it one must negotiate a 330-meter “Interception Tunnel” from the DMZ Tourist Information Center.  The “Infiltration Tunnel” itself is located 73 meters below the surface.

Alas, cameras were not allowed.  Nor were we allowed to carry our cellphones.  We were requested to deposit them in lockers in the information center.

Just before entering the Interception Tunnel we donned yellow helmets. The helmets proved to be essential allies when we reached the Infiltration Tunnel and began our 265-meter walk through a piece of Korea history.  The sound of “bonk,” “bonk,” “bonk” could be heard echoing through the tunnel as some of us never did quite manage to avoid contact with the uneven rock ceiling, buttressed in spots by structures.   I think one of the bonks would have rendered me unconscious if I had not have been wearing a helmet!

Our guide Sun cautioned us that the 15-degree descent to the Infiltration Tunnel would seem like 45 degrees on the return, and she was right.  But we all made it.  I had a couple of minutes to photograph this sculpture in the courtyard of the center:

92AD279F-04FD-43B2-AE54-6949CC909354.thumb.jpeg.a914d43aa19560acff9fc8f59c77aeb2.jpeg

We had one more stop, Dora Observatory  for a view, at last, of North Korea.  We had overcast conditions with a slight drizzle, but we could still see it in the distance—the 595-pound, 160-meters tall North Korean flag in the North Korean border village of Kijong-dong that the North constructed in the 1980s in response to a 98-meter-tall flag that the South had hoisted in its border village of Daeseong-dong:

D6C3AA9A-5FBC-48B9-8AF5-C3226BE5545F.thumb.jpeg.e2c7284956bd5d6dda4e9299e30b6e39.jpeg

Saturday traffic was bad on the way back to our ship, causing us to arrive almost an hour later than our planned 5:30 return, and only a half an hour before we were due to sail. Sun admitted that “my heart was pounding, but I didn’t want to show it” about our being delayed.  She was a delightful all-day guide and companion to us.

In closing, the day’s one drag was the passenger two rows in front of us in row four who shouldn’t have been on the tour.  Our long spells in the bus were punctuated by her coughing fits, which caused a fair amount of muttering among some of us. All Ginny and I could think about was hitting the Airborne as soon as we got back to our room.

Edited by Mr Rumor
  • Like 2

A couple of highlights from us.  In Jeju our guide was Sunny - - and her name fit her perfectly.   The best English speaking guide we have had on this journey plus she finished the day with a beautiful song (great voice).  Our tour was the Tea Cluture and Market.   I ended up being the one to prepare the tea at our table - (it is all set up for a right handed person - -of course I am left handed) - and managed to pour without a spill - -amazing to me!!  Next we donned Korean wedding gowns as if we were getting married.  Beautiful silk and funny hats.

(I don’t know how to upload the picture).   Follow this with our tour in Seoul where at the palace we were chosen to be the King and Queen.   We sure have felt special.  Our tour was the Grand Tour of Seoul.  We had.. a typical Korean lunch where the food was cooked at our table - beef, noodle and vegetables with all the condiments too at the market in Insadong.   Met the protestors for the release of the president as well as saw pictures of the “Little Rocket Man” = 

(North Korea).   One of course had to see the socks - -done with pictures of our presidents, cartoon figures, etc - bargain, only $1.00 a pair.   The tour of the National Museum was extremely interesting and of course we could have spent hours there.   Happy to have a sea day today to relax.  Park our guide was the second best speaking English guide and full of humor - -had us all laughing!

• Like 2

Good afternoon on this our final sea day!  I don’t recall eating a Filipino-themed Pool Deck lunch before but I’m happy to have the opportunity today.  Raymond from the Galley team prepares Pancit Bihon, a noodle stir fry with shrimp and chicken. 

812C03BE-82CB-451E-9DBD-8A7492E19C3B.thumb.jpeg.5a408d86a3983f052c3e7f9c0b7e38bb.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Have a great cruise, we join the cruise in Tokyo in the 17th to Vancouver-however we depart on the 16th for a week in Asia before the cruise.

Found this for you: They say no tipping is expected, however it is done--but if you don't it's not expected and  OK not to tip in Japan. 

Tipping in Japan (and a lot of other countries, my own included) is neither necessary nor expected.  Tips/service charge etc are included in the wages.  people do not rely on them for a living.  And in Japan particularly tipping is viewed by Japanese people as degrading somehow.   Handing over coins or notes to a guide etc is not the way to go!    A smile and a thank you "domo arigato" is what is needed.  Not a tip.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Tipping in Japan (and a lot of other countries, my own included) is neither necessary nor expected.  Tips/service charge etc are included in the wages.  people do not rely on them for a living.  And in Japan particularly tipping is viewed by Japanese people as degrading somehow.   Handing over coins or notes to a guide etc is not the way to go!    A smile and a thank you "domo arigato" is what is needed.  Not a tip.   

I think if you read my post that is what said---however it is done, if you/we like it or not.

15 hours ago, Mr Rumor said:

CD John was better than pretty good—he was Standing O good.  In his show there’s a song for everybody. . .

6494A6C3-359F-4080-B4B3-239BC1D051AB.thumb.jpeg.da8fafe5425bbe4f61d88edfaead7b86.jpeg

. . . plus his humor is a delightful mix of witty, corny, zany and playfully naughty.  His repartee with a couple of the guests had the room in stitches.  

I believe it has already been reported on this board that John is destined to serve as the Splendor’s inaugural cruise director.  He made that official from the stage last night.  For you John fans who like to track his schedule, he leaves the ship with us on April 15 (Margaret Lynn Scoggins will replace him) and will return to either the Explorer or Voyager at the end of May.   

Now to finish up on yesterday’s DMZ Third Tunnel and Seoul excursion, a little background on “Third Tunnel.”  Between 1974 and 1990, South Korean forces discovered four tunnels that North Korea had constructed spanning the DMZ for the purpose of launching a multi-front surprise attack on the South.  The Third Tunnel alone was big enough at six feet high and six feet across to move 30,000 foot soldiers per hour.

The 1,635-meter-long Third Tunnel is the only one of the tunnels discovered so far (it is believed that many exist) that is open to the public—that is, 265 meters of it.  To access it one must negotiate a 330-meter “Interception Tunnel” from the DMZ Tourist Information Center.  The “Infiltration Tunnel” itself is located 73 meters below the surface.

Alas, cameras were not allowed.  Nor were we allowed to carry our cellphones.  We were requested to deposit them in lockers in the information center.

Just before entering the Interception Tunnel we donned yellow helmets. The helmets proved to be essential allies when we reached the Infiltration Tunnel and began our 265-meter walk through a piece of Korea history.  The sound of “bonk,” “bonk,” “bonk” could be heard echoing through the tunnel as some of us never did quite manage to avoid contact with the uneven rock ceiling, buttressed in spots by structures.   I think one of the bonks would have rendered me unconscious if I had not have been wearing a helmet!

Our guide Sun cautioned us that the 15-degree descent to the Infiltration Tunnel would seem like 45 degrees on the return, and she was right.  But we all made it.  I had a couple of minutes to photograph this sculpture in the courtyard of the center:

92AD279F-04FD-43B2-AE54-6949CC909354.thumb.jpeg.a914d43aa19560acff9fc8f59c77aeb2.jpeg

We had one more stop, Dora Observatory  for a view, at last, of North Korea.  We had overcast conditions with a slight drizzle, but we could still see it in the distance—the 595-pound, 160-meters tall North Korean flag in the North Korean border village of Kijong-dong that the North constructed in the 1980s in response to a 98-meter-tall flag that the South had hoisted in its border village of Daeseong-dong:

D6C3AA9A-5FBC-48B9-8AF5-C3226BE5545F.thumb.jpeg.e2c7284956bd5d6dda4e9299e30b6e39.jpeg

Saturday traffic was bad on the way back to our ship, causing us to arrive almost an hour later than our planned 5:30 return, and only a half an hour before we were due to sail. Sun admitted that “my heart was pounding, but I didn’t want to show it” about our being delayed.  She was a delightful all-day guide and companion to us.

In closing, the day’s one drag was the passenger two rows in front of us in row four who shouldn’t have been on the tour.  Our long spells in the bus were punctuated by her coughing fits, which caused a fair amount of muttering among some of us. All Ginny and I could think about was hitting the Airborne as soon as we got back to our room.

I DO like no tipping.  That is what we have here in Switzerland in a somewhat modified way.  Service charges for restaurants, bars, hairdressers etc etc are all included in the published prices.  So is the TVA or sales tax.  You pay what it says on the menu.  However here since this went into effect in 1971 things have slid a little.  It is now customary to add a franc or so if the service has been good.  No obligation though.  Our workers are paid decent wages, they have paid holidays (4-5 weeks a year), proper medical insurance etc.  But I wish we had stuck firmly to the original plan which was no tipping at all.    They have it right in Japan and in many other Asian countries.

• Like 1

It’s not every day that you have a view of an active volcano (Sakurajima) from your table on the Pool Deck!

A831806C-6055-4468-9B97-AE431941AE51.thumb.jpeg.c5a1c0502641c4968677a463bc4ce511.jpeg

Our half-day excursion, Chiran Discovery, was wonderful.  Report to follow!  Have a lecture to catch in a few minutes.

Edited by Mr Rumor
  • Like 1

Although small in size, the town of Chiran, about a 45 minute drive from Kagoshima,  looms large in the minds of the Japanese due to its connection with the Samurai, and the Tokko, or Kamikaze, pilots of WWII.  These were the themes of our excursion, Chiran Discovery, on a sunny, beautiful day where we finally hit the 70s.

According to our guide, Michy, more than 400 of the 1306 Kamikaze pilots who flew in Okinawa’s huge naval battle of 1945 trained at the Chiran branch of Japan’s Army Flight Training School.  As we neared our first stop, the Chiran Peace Museum, she pointed out the restaurant that served many of them their final meals.

On the museum grounds we walked by scores and scores of lanterns.  Michy explained that there is one on the grounds for each pilot, “to console and to provide comfort.”

1C7EF66B-0522-42D5-A778-5F31582A4E13.thumb.jpeg.491e7c8fe645b23528be76ba7c32d506.jpeg

We also walked through one of the barracks that housed the tokko pilots.

DFA44EFA-4B55-4D44-AB6C-CEF3B3B0A72E.thumb.jpeg.3441f59adfb5bd09d83ec77153b11d0e.jpeg

Photos were not allowed in the museum, which, in the words of the museum literature, “preserves and displays materials left by the deceased army pilots of the unprecedented tokko operation in Okinawa.”  I lingered over the photos of scores of Kamikaze pilots, the youngest of whom was 17.  I also read a handful of farewell letters written by the pilots to their wives and young children.

In the small lobby gift shop I paused over this tokko-themed keepsake, a golden tear.  I recalled Michy’s bus story of high school girls cleaning the barracks, where they’d handle pillows “wet with tears.”

69E0631E-8128-41FE-8084-4A148CBE7877.thumb.jpeg.cd950fb703fe7bda277cc686bbc34625.jpeg

Before reboarding the bus I had few minutes on the museum’s beautiful grounds to pause and reflect, as well as take another cherry blossom photo:

64E5BC13-38BB-41E1-946F-71F30753C8C6.thumb.jpeg.730903320d848e5557990c9a4f9d1507.jpeg

It was a five minute drive to our second and final stop, the Chiran Gardens, described in the promotional literature  as a “miniature version of Kyoto.”  In the 1700s Samurai warriors favored this area and more than 100 built their homes here.

The homes themselves were not available for tours, as Samurai descendants continue to live in them.  But some of the owners have opened their gardens to the public, with the owner of one of them personally serving us green tea, which Michy claimed that Kagoshima is well known for.

Several snaps from our gardens visit:

0A7689E0-8F48-4A3C-B696-341D56D4C1E3.thumb.jpeg.25962615b0937031bc21598f90bfaac9.jpeg

201953F3-0E5D-4127-8CFC-63A7E1B93B66.thumb.jpeg.15d68b5af681ceeff6e9263d45c120f4.jpeg

8DA8A802-CDA5-49D8-834E-AF2B1A0B817E.thumb.jpeg.f8fc023582ad07be0a88fd1aca5226f1.jpeg

Because of mountaindoc358’s question about tipping tour guides I paid attention as our group filed out of the bus after our return to the ship.  I observed several fellow cruisers placing a gratuity in Michy’s hands, which she accepted with a smile and slight bow.

Back at the terminal a number of vendors had set up.  Ginny, who counts origami among her many craft pursuits, paused at a booth offering free origami creations.  I asked one of the ladies if she wouldn’t mind posing with an origami crane—the symbol of peace—and was delighted when her friend decided to crash the photo.  This shot is reflective of the friendliness we encountered in Kagoshima and Chiran today.

5F20222D-6271-44D8-B727-F9B7071C8213.thumb.jpeg.beeb4c178bba055602a762bff77a2359.jpeg

Edited by Mr Rumor
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I DO like no tipping.  That is what we have here in Switzerland in a somewhat modified way.  Service charges for restaurants, bars, hairdressers etc etc are all included in the published prices.  So is the TVA or sales tax.  You pay what it says on the menu.  However here since this went into effect in 1971 things have slid a little.  It is now customary to add a franc or so if the service has been good.  No obligation though.  Our workers are paid decent wages, they have paid holidays (4-5 weeks a year), proper medical insurance etc.  But I wish we had stuck firmly to the original plan which was no tipping at all.    They have it right in Japan and in many other Asian countries.

I liked the concept of 'trinkgeld' when I lived in Germany - basically rounding up to the nearest DM or DM5 or whatever.  It left the servers a little 'drink money' and cut down on the change cluttering my pockets.  Win-win.