Random Notes, Mariner, 3/28-4/15/19, Shanghai-Tokyo--LIVE!*

Mr Rumor

South Korea needs a new PR agent.  Japan gets all the ink for its cherry blossoms but we saw billions of blossoms today just in Gyeongyu, about 80 minutes from Busan, which our guide Seong Ju described as the History Mecca of South Korea.  Cherry trees seem to line every street, boulevard and highway in the area.

DD6575D8-79F5-4B8E-AEB3-C560941FDC10.thumb.jpeg.347a735cd9932f0890b15510c81d1e7f.jpeg

They were also on display at Gyeongyu Bulgaksa, an ancient Buddhist temple that has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage site.  

CD8A5ACD-A472-47C3-A6D6-8D5BC9070CD5.thumb.jpeg.834664b361b76d60b5a1996b2628cab3.jpeg

Bulgaksa, which dates back to 774, was the first stop on our all-day excursion.  It was a colorful time to visit due to  Buddha’s upcoming birthday.  The decorations were out. . .  

D9D80009-9A65-4F25-957E-19758C6C0EF6.thumb.jpeg.6ddc9d8c62b5aac8fccb71352218cca6.jpeg

And we passed underneath hundreds of Lotus lanterns bearing personal messages from families seeking a birthday Buddha blessing.

31986259-AA5E-4787-904C-9C68A1657890.thumb.jpeg.485502ab57aece361c554fb9b8deacd5.jpeg

At one of the pagodas, Seong Ju enlightened us on Buddhist principles such as “balanced mind” and “transcendence.”

FF467322-83EF-41A1-A5FF-3CF54FC46F67.thumb.jpeg.6f2d9fadf9b845dcbaf8277ca8065ef6.jpeg

And as we left he made sure that we stood on this spot to enjoy a “Kodak moment.”

C8DE2248-CED7-4A46-A14F-8DE24C8535C1.thumb.jpeg.73d71e77eb4ff0ccd7ba1d3d774ee042.jpeg

Then it was on to what Seong Ju described as “our version of the Pyramids,” mounds of earth in a present-day park that housed burial tombs for various kings and royal family members dating back to the Silla Period (5th and 6th centuries).  

1B9358D6-07EE-468B-924F-836D757CF1C0.thumb.jpeg.88315f9edff25a762886f743b356b291.jpeg

Before touring the excavated Cheonmachong Tomb I asked if these ladies dressed in traditional costumes wouldn’t mind my taking their picture.  (Seong Ju: “It is a big trend today to rent traditional dress and walk around in it all day and put it on Instagram.”)

24DC24FE-E692-42FB-88CB-1D73081BDCFF.thumb.jpeg.488a267b9e573a7144b069a0c88401c4.jpeg

Lunch was in a cavernous convention room at the Hotel Hyundai packed with other tour groups.  The large buffet included such untypical Regent excursion fare as jellyfish and octopus. Dessert was a brief program of folk dances.

7DED4C91-782A-44FC-9B4E-12DBAFAE73F5.thumb.jpeg.5d77eda6b74e7922f0a6675ad4f5d6f1.jpeg

I would have been happy to call the excursion a wrap at that point.  But as the tour carried the title Highlights of Gyeongku AND Busan, there was more after the drive back to our port city, namely quick stops at Yongdussan Park (no time to go up Busan Tower for a sweeping view of the city) and the vast Jagalchi (Fish) Market, which Seong Yu had no choice but to rush us through (which was just fine by vegetarian Ginny).  We did enjoy our short walk through the bustling waterfront neighborhood, where our guide pointed out a rare restaurant specializing in whale.  (While it is illegal to hunt whales, whales that have died in netting or via other mishaps may be legally consumed.)

E2E5A2D4-C06C-4B34-9497-5E9D81927E31.thumb.jpeg.f0b022e46efac4b846f1334ec41a340b.jpeg

Seong Yu returned us to the Mariner just before the 5 p.m. witching hour.  Just over an hour later we’re about to sail.  It has been a fun, full day!

Edited by Mr Rumor
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, crusin7 said:

Hi Rich. Loving all your great photos, especially the cherry blossoms. We arrive in Tokyo on the 24th. I hope a few are still in bloom. I will start a live blog on the Tokyo to Vancouver leg. I hope others join in....ronrick, Gilly, anyone.  

We will arrive in Tokyo on the 24th too! We are getting so excited!! 

Thanks for the invite to join in your live thread, I’ll try to add a few pictures & posts. I’m not experienced at this but will give it a try.  😉 Are you participating in the Regent pre cruise excursions?  

Rich , we are loving your posts, thank you for taking the time to share!

Karen 

9D9EB1C2-E36B-4924-ABF9-097779229618.jpeg

• Like 3

I hope you start a thread of the Tokyo to Vancouver cruise.  We are booked for 2021 but we are thinking of cancelling.  I have heard that the Bering Sea is rough, rough, rough!  So, I am particularly interested in the pros and cons.   The 2021 cruise is on the Explorer. 

13 minutes ago, forgap said:

I hope you start a thread of the Tokyo to Vancouver cruise.  We are booked for 2021 but we are thinking of cancelling.  I have heard that the Bering Sea is rough, rough, rough!  So, I am particularly interested in the pros and cons.   The 2021 cruise is on the Explorer. 

A few years ago we did Seward to Being on Navigator in late September and it was relatively smooth the entire trip and we took the Northern route with a stop in Petrolovik before heading South to Japan.  Weather and sea conditions cannot be accurately predicted as well as the weather people can't seem to predict weather on land at times even a day in advance!!

18 minutes ago, forgap said:

I have heard that the Bering Sea is rough, rough, rough!  So, I am particularly interested in the pros and cons.   The 2021 cruise is on the Explorer. 

I’m nervous about that also.  I’m not a good sailor. I’m bringing an arsenal of antiemetics...Scopolamine patches, wristbands, Stugeron(I picked this up in Ireland last year on the advice of CC.  I’ve never used it)and Bonnine.  I think I’ve got everything but the new goggles!

I’m traveling with my husband and sister. We cancelled the precruise tour after deciding to do Tokyo on our own. Guess what we got for credits.  $150 each for Jim and myself. We are cruising in one room. We would have had to pay $1,500 for Cathy’s portion of the tour.  Because Jim and I have been to Tokyo twice we will be the new tour guides. 

2 hours ago, 1teach53 said:

We will arrive in Tokyo on the 24th too! We are getting so excited!! 

Thanks for the invite to join in your live thread, I’ll try to add a few pictures & posts. I’m not experienced at this but will give it a try.  😉 Are you participating in the Regent pre cruise excursions?  

Rich , we are loving your posts, thank you for taking the time to share!

Karen 

9D9EB1C2-E36B-4924-ABF9-097779229618.jpeg

We'll be with you.

Mary and I arrive on 24th for pre-cruise tour. I'm packed and anxious (obviously).  I'll wear my Regent cap at the Hilton; please stop me to say Hello.

I don't know one end of the camera from the other but DW is a terrific photographer; she does a photo album (coffee table book style) after every trip. Maybe you and she can collaborate on photo posts.

Best wishes to all for safe travel,

Jim C

1 hour ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

We'll be with you.

Mary and I arrive on 24th for pre-cruise tour. I'm packed and anxious (obviously).  I'll wear my Regent cap at the Hilton; please stop me to say Hello.

I don't know one end of the camera from the other but DW is a terrific photographer; she does a photo album (coffee table book style) after every trip. Maybe you and she can collaborate on photo posts.

Jim C

Hi Jim,

Sounds like a great plan! We will look for you at the Hilton for sure! 

We arrive 3:20 pm to Tokyo airport. Wondering how long the transfer to the Hilton will be, I’ll check. 

Ill need  Mary’s pointers, I’m not a great photographer. I just point & click my trusty iPhone. I am amazed what good pics it takes in spite of me😉

Yes, to all safe travels ✈️

Karen 

Just now, Mr Rumor said:

South Korea needs a new PR agent.  Japan gets all the ink for its cherry blossoms but we saw billions of blossoms today just in Gyeongyu, about 80 minutes from Busan, which our guide Seong Ju described as the History Mecca of South Korea.  Cherry trees seem to line every street, boulevard and highway in the area...….

I totally agree. We have been to Korea twice in the spring and the country is beautiful. Your pictures of Gyeongyu are outstanding as are all your pictures.

I have enjoyed your Blog very much. It has bought back wonderful memories of our trip in 2005.

• Like 1

Just now, crusin7 said:

Hi Rich. Loving all your great photos, especially the cherry blossoms. We arrive in Tokyo on the 24th. I hope a few are still in bloom. I will start a live blog on the Tokyo to Vancouver leg. I hope others join in....ronrick, Gilly, anyone.  

Please do continue on with a picture blog of your cruise. This is a beautiful interesting part of the would especially in the Spring time. We did an Osako, Japan to Seattle cruise in the Spring of 2005 and it is still one of my favorite cruises.

Be prepared for cold weather and maybe snow across the Bering Sea. but it wasn't a rough crossing when we did it did in early May.  As has been said, you never know. Seas can be like glass one day and rough as a cobb the next...just be prepared. The Bering Sea was very interesting with all the traffic.

Edited by cwn

Good morning from the island of Jeju!  Jeju was not on our original itinerary but we’re glad it was added in the 2018 itinerary shuffle. It is not every day we get to visit a place described as “Island of the Gods”!  

8DE2F0CD-DCDB-4E0A-9C40-87CFE6491876.thumb.jpeg.964d0b02640990a191fc8ffaef95ed10.jpeg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr Rumor said:

Good morning from the island of Jeju!  Jeju was not on our original itinerary but we’re glad it was added in the 2018 itinerary shuffle. It is not every day we get to visit a place described as “Island of the Gods”!  

Hello Mr. Rumor - My husband and I board the Mariner in Tokyo on April 15 for our 12 night cruise around Japan.  Tokyo to Tokyo. I'm curious about the evening's entertainment while you are sailing in Japan's waters.  I'm hoping we'll be able to see some authentic Japanese dress and entertainment while on board. 

Please do post what you get to see and if you enjoyed it.  We are also going to Jeju so looking forward to that as well.

Have a great time!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

We'll be with you.

Jim C

Be careful what you wish for. We know Karen and John (1teach63) real well. She is a former ballerina from Barcelona who ran a pickpocket gang and he’s a smooth talking card sharp. 

Just kidding. We love these two and have sailed with them several times. You will have a great time with them.  Just make sure Karen gets her morning coffee delivered by John bright and early. 

We look forward towards following along via a mutual “Live From.”

Z and TB

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Be careful what you wish for. We know Karen and John (1teach63) real well. She is a former ballerina from Barcelona who ran a pickpocket gang and he’s a smooth talking card sharp. 

Just kidding. We love these two and have sailed with them several times. You will have a great time with them.  Just make sure Karen gets her morning coffee delivered by John bright and early. 

We look forward towards following along via a mutual “Live From.”

Z and TB

Ohhhhhh, we love you Z 💞💞 but did you have to reveal all our secrets?

K

14 hours ago, 1teach53 said:

Hi Jim,

Sounds like a great plan! We will look for you at the Hilton for sure! 

We arrive 3:20 pm to Tokyo airport. Wondering how long the transfer to the Hilton will be, I’ll check. 

Ill need  Mary’s pointers, I’m not a great photographer. I just point & click my trusty iPhone. I am amazed what good pics it takes in spite of me😉

Yes, to all safe travels ✈️

Karen 

Narita airport is a long way from Tokyo but there is a train that runs to Shinjuku station.  As I remember the Hilton is a short walk from there...Train takes under 90mns.  Don't even think about a road transfer unless Regent is taking care of that - you will be in the bus for a lot longer...

Our stay in Jeju was brief (6 a.m. arrival, 2 p.m. departure), but long enough for our group to enjoy a peak experience—a 550-step climb to the top of Seongsan Ilchulnong (Sunrise Peak), created 5,000 years ago by a volcanic eruption.  We had lots of company.

48D58BD7-AABA-43B6-AD92-33ED9DB0391E.thumb.jpeg.22ae9b183338a34b8e4daa0b45ea8d65.jpeg

At the top we were rewarded with this view. . .

7C5E1FEC-1968-4118-99C2-F3226B1E2F5B.thumb.jpeg.534108bd5ceb7787f1b4aecc214d2af4.jpeg

Our gregarious guide Tina led us down a different route:

11ACD19D-CD78-4FF2-8D71-9C1E985FA9C1.thumb.jpeg.fa8db9617803c00eea4f6a1c1f66dfec.jpeg

Back on our bus I remembered to check my phone:  41  “flights climbed”!

Then it was off to Seongup Village, where this old chap (circa 1745) stands guard at the entrance.

51DAA012-5795-49F9-89C6-A08A86D5FBA7.thumb.jpeg.05a67b9ad2eb63ce70cd213cf89918e5.jpeg

Seongup is billed as an authentic traditional Jeju village where the homes are made of thatch and lava rock. . . 

5FC07D96-9D04-4DFC-A1EF-80791E67A9C0.thumb.jpeg.5466306c93537bb39e0429c2244c321d.jpeg

. . . and where a few people continue to live—and remodel.

B783755A-0FA3-4C31-8E35-DBD7B29271B5.thumb.jpeg.065dcafd692eea194762d6d5e2d19b7e.jpeg

I took a photo here and there, including this side view of the one-time home of a county magistrate dating back to the 1400s:

B9C9CB29-5D17-4802-9483-A68B1BBFDA5F.thumb.jpeg.5f3926a841bdb3f9c8156a84e66c0e2c.jpeg

On our way out Tina hammed it up by posing for us in an ancient outdoor loo:

254E084F-DA23-499A-BC43-72366E225CA4.thumb.jpeg.9dc8c0a589764005b0ec3356a57e8b8c.jpeg

Back at the terminal, we stopped to listen to this trio playing lovely Korean melodies on the kayagum, a traditional instrument.  It was a sweet coda to our visit to the Island of the Gods.

3936A9AA-0EB7-478E-84B4-F8F5AE4F87C5.thumb.jpeg.364c1f963c9d56fb296248ec9615f70f.jpeg

Edited by Mr Rumor

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Narita airport is a long way from Tokyo but there is a train that runs to Shinjuku station.  As I remember the Hilton is a short walk from there...Train takes under 90mns.  Don't even think about a road transfer unless Regent is taking care of that - you will be in the bus for a lot longer...

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Thanks. /Hambaghle ! We will be on the pre tour so will be using RSS transfers. 

Rich, love all your pictures, thank you again!💞

• Like 1

More beautiful photos and descriptive words bring us (almost) there with you. Thanks

Rich (and Ginny) for sharing.

Forgap/Jennifer, we are booked on that Explorer Tokyo to Vancouver voyage, hope u don't cancel--we can synchronize excursions here in ATL later this year.

Our roll call here:

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

Rich, we are loving your pictures.  They're bringing back so many memories of our trip a couple of years ago.  Jeju was one of my favorite stops.  It was so different than I expected.  Thanks for taking us on this trip with you.

Terri

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 5:12 PM, ronrick1943 said:

About the Coffee Connection, last year when we were on the Mariner they had French Press Coffee on the menu.  But didn't have it--they said they were going to get the coffee press---question, did they?  PS, still enjoying your cruise and great photos.  We board April27th...........Rick

Hey - that's my birthday - y'all wanna sneak me aboard in your luggage as a little birthday present?   :-)

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Hey - that's my birthday - y'all wanna sneak me aboard in your luggage as a little birthday present?   🙂

I'd love to do our "re-meet" then BUT alas DW insists that I bring my tux et.al.- NO room in my luggage for you.

I'm sure the 27th will be SUPER busy for me; so Happy Birthday.

Jim C

1 hour ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

I'd love to do our "re-meet" then BUT alas DW insists that I bring my tux et.al.- NO room in my luggage for you.

I'm sure the 27th will be SUPER busy for me; so Happy Birthday.

Jim C

Jim - I could just wear your tux and follow you on board as your shoreside butler - two birds, one stone.   :classic_laugh: