Carrying on 12 packs of soda

aggieamy55

Hi. I've searched some on these boards, but can't find an answer to this within the past couple of years. When carrying on a 12 pack case of soda, does the soda HAVE to be in your carry on bag or can we simply just carry in on the ship with us in it's card board box? The reason I ask is we have FTTF and our stateroom should be ready right away. I didn't want to waste a bunch of space in our actual carry-ons for it. Thank you!

It does not have to be in a carry-on bag, you can just carry the 12 pack box. However, some people have reported that the terminal screeners have torn open the boxes to ensure it really is just sodas inside, so having a plastic grocery bag or something to put the cans in if needed might be a good idea. We haven't had that happen to us...yet.

• Like 5

You have to carry on.  I use a Xlarge rolling suitcase.  I put my case of soda, all my meds and toiletries, purse, coats, swimsuits and extra set of clothes.  My 2 bottles of wine, binoculars and anything else I can think of, LOL.  I've never had my cartons ripped into, maybe on spring break they do this, LOL  You will not believe how many people will ask me to check my HUGE bag, but I just keep rolling it along, saying on the way, No thanks it has my case of soda in it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

It does not have to be in a carry-on bag, you can just carry the 12 pack box. However, some people have reported that the terminal screeners have torn open the boxes to ensure it really is just sodas inside, so having a plastic grocery bag or something to put the cans in if needed might be a good idea. We haven't had that happen to us...yet.

This!!!

Both times we sailed out of Galveston they completely shredded the boxes... I was carrying the cases in a reusable grocery bag so I just had to dump the loose cans back into the bag... so every time I tried to set the bag down, it would tip over and cans were rolling everywhere! Now I have a rolling cart that will hold 4 cases, and collapses down to fit in my suitcase on the trip home!

• Like 2

I heard that Miami was known to tear open the cartons, too, so we made sure to bring a reusable grocery bag last year. But they didn't even touch it. Even so, it was a good thing we brought the bag, because one of the cartons fell off my carry-on (I had it bungee strapped to the handle, but it popped out) and the carton broke open in the parking lot, along with a few of my sodas. ☹️

Strange thing. They didn't say a word about the carton that was still intact. But when I sent the bag through with the loose cans, he looked in the bag and asked what was in the cans. I said, "Dr. Pepper." Then he asked, "Not beer?" Yeah man, I have a bottling plant in my garage and I canned my own beer inside Dr. Pepper cans...you caught me. They questioned the cans they could see, but didn't say a word about the cans they couldn't see that were still in the carton. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Strange thing. They didn't say a word about the carton that was still intact. But when I sent the bag through with the loose cans, he looked in the bag and asked what was in the cans. I said, "Dr. Pepper." Then he asked, "Not beer?" Yeah man, I have a bottling plant in my garage and I canned my own beer inside Dr. Pepper cans...you caught me. They questioned the cans they could see, but didn't say a word about the cans they couldn't see that were still in the carton. 🙄

I know, right? My first trip through Galveston I had a 12 pack of soda in one bag, and another bag with a second 12 pack, plus my bottle of wine, plus 4-5 loose cans of soda (taking the 2 of us just slightly over the limit). I handed the bag with the one 12-pack to them, and they proceeded to shred the box! I was so surprised at this that I didn't even give them the other bag and they just said okay, go ahead... left 12 cans of diet coke sitting on their table and pieces of the cardboard box! I wonder what I would have done if I hadn't had the bag! I can see me trying to get through the rest of the boarding process and sit in the boarding lounge, trying to carry 12 single cans of soda!

Is it just me, or does everyone think it's ok to bring a 12-pk with them on a cruise?  Is there not enough to drink on the ship? You cant go without your favorite beverage for 7 days?  I would never waste the effort it takes to carry soda on board. To each his own, but when we left out of NOLA in Dec., i never seen so many people carrying soda on. Crazy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

Is it just me, or does everyone think it's ok to bring a 12-pk with them on a cruise?  Is there not enough to drink on the ship? You cant go without your favorite beverage for 7 days?  I would never waste the effort it takes to carry soda on board. To each his own, but when we left out of NOLA in Dec., i never seen so many people carrying soda on. Crazy

Not everyone buys the beverage programs, so that leaves you with free water, tea or lemonade.
So that let's you have a few sodas a day spread over the trip.

Also, even if you do buy one of the beverage programs, they don't generally give you a can so if you want a soda in your room, you have to bring your own.

And why wouldn't it be "ok"?
Specifically says in Carnival's rules that you can do it, so even they approve!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I've never brought sodas on because I don't drink them. I am considering bringing on La Croix, but I don't want to bring an entire 12 pack.  Am I understanding correctly that I can't just bring on, say just 6?

Well, last year my MIL brought a 6-pack of V8 juice with no problem, I think by what Carnival says, it's a 12 can maximum, so you can bring any amount up to 12.

"A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person."

13 minutes ago, schazzy said:

Well, last year my MIL brought a 6-pack of V8 juice with no problem, I think by what Carnival says, it's a 12 can maximum, so you can bring any amount up to 12.

"A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person."

So loose cans are Ok? That statement is very ambiguous .

1 hour ago, FSHLOT said:

Everyone who does this "thinks" it's ok because it is ok. Carnival allows it, so for those who want to do it, it isn't wasted effort at all. You say, "to each his own," but don't seem to stand behind that assessment. They also allow drinking-aged adults to bring a bottle of wine on board, even though there's plenty on the ship. If we choose to save money by carrying our own 12-pack of soda on board, which is allowed and doesn't hurt anyone else, I don't see why that's so bothersome to you.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, aggieamy55 said:

Hi. I've searched some on these boards, but can't find an answer to this within the past couple of years. When carrying on a 12 pack case of soda, does the soda HAVE to be in your carry on bag or can we simply just carry in on the ship with us in it's card board box? The reason I ask is we have FTTF and our stateroom should be ready right away. I didn't want to waste a bunch of space in our actual carry-ons for it. Thank you!

Even if the security screeners don't rip into your 12 packs like others have said can happen, I'd still carry your drinks in a rolling bag or cart like was suggested in case those cardboard boxes rip while sometime before you get them to your cabin. We saw an abandoned busted 12 pack of Cokes and a sticky puddle outside the terminal in Charleston a couple years ago that you could tell ripped while they were standing in line.  

14 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Everyone who does this "thinks" it's ok because it is ok. Carnival allows it, so for those who want to do it, it isn't wasted effort at all. You say, "to each his own," but don't seem to stand behind that assessment. They also allow drinking-aged adults to bring a bottle of wine on board, even though there's plenty on the ship. If we choose to save money by carrying our own 12-pack of soda on board, which is allowed and doesn't hurt anyone else, I don't see why that's so bothersome to you.

This....

18 minutes ago, schazzy said:

Even if the security screeners don't rip into your 12 packs like others have said can happen, I'd still carry your drinks in a rolling bag or cart like was suggested in case those cardboard boxes rip while sometime before you get them to your cabin. We saw an abandoned busted 12 pack of Cokes and a sticky puddle outside the terminal in Charleston a couple years ago that you could tell ripped while they were standing in line.  

So you found my sticky puddle, huh? 😄 Just kidding, my little sticky puddle was in Miami last year. And it wasn't Coke. And I managed to salvage several cans. We brought a couple reusable grocery bags thinking security would tear up the boxes, but I managed to do that myself. Then had to walk through security and check-in with a sticky hand before I could wash it. Next time...WET WIPES!! A few years ago I opened a 12-pack of Pepsi at home, replaced half with Dr. Pepper, and used packing tape to seal the ends. I fully expected them to want to open it, but they didn't (Port Everglades). Actually, taping the ends might help prevent a busted box. If they're going to break, they'll break there or the handle. But yes, if you leave them in the carton, make sure you have a place to put them just in case.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

This! While my DH and myself have no need to carry any on for ourselves, I completely understand that others, like my In-laws, like to do so, to, like you said, save money and/or to simply have what they like to drink. And as long as it's allowed by Carnival, I see so problem with people doing it, and I don't understand why something like that, that is completely within the rules, bother others so much.  

• Like 1

Fort Lauderdale used to have a separate beverage inspection area at check in and they tore open every carton.  The check in line was long so it was endlessly entertaining.  They pulled beers out of several 12 soda packs.  Must have been a manufacturing error. 

• Haha 1