New Zealand announces ETA requirements.

Cruise Junky

I'm a bit confused by the website.  It states that Canadians are visa exempt country.  On another line it states that all cruise ship passengers, no matter what country you're from need one.  We are flying into Auckland from Canada on Dec 1, are Canadian citizens but are boarding a cruise ship the next day.  Do we still need one?  🤔

31 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I'm a bit confused by the website.  It states that Canadians are visa exempt country.  On another line it states that all cruise ship passengers, no matter what country you're from need one.  We are flying into Auckland from Canada on Dec 1, are Canadian citizens but are boarding a cruise ship the next day.  Do we still need one?  🤔

Visa and an ETA are totally different beasts.  The countries that required a visa will still one but the visa exempt countries will now need an ETA.. same as Australia and the same that Canada has  in place.

• 2 weeks later...

U.S. and Canada citizens need the ETA but not what's generally called a visa by many countries (usually costing a lot more).  Sounds like actual form to apply has not been finalized yet, but the article does say that a passport is needed to apply.  At 34 New Zealand dollars for both the ETA and other document (around $22 U.S., and presumably very quick approval online or by cell phone), it doesn't sound like a big deal.  I'm thinking it will be like one or two other ETAs I've had to get - basically a way to pre-approve entry into a country based on the person's passport information, plus make a few dollars.  Cruisers (passengers as well as crew members) are not exempt.  In the case of Barwick Cruiser, he or she may need the documents in order to fly into Auckland, or to clear immigration in the airport, but I'm not sure.       

Edited by roothy123

For people applying for ETAs, always get your ETA direct from Government websites, so there are no extra charges.

immigration.govt.nz

For information - etainformation@mbie.govt.nz 

As already stated, you can apply from July, 2019.  Commences October, 2019. 

• 2 weeks later...