Move up Denied

deliver42

We're booked in a standard balcony on the Ruby for an Alaska cruise May,11. I called Princess today to see what it would cost to upgrade us to a Premium balcony, wanting to surprise my DW in an Aft balcony, which she would love in Alaska. To my surprise, the rep said that balcony is lower now than what I paid, and to change, I would lose my perks. Obviously, I turned it down, since I have $600.00 OBC. I'm really not complaining, since it's Princess's policy,but Even to do an even exchange would've been OK. I wasn't looking for any refund to switch. Maybe next time I'll wait till about 6 weeks out on Princess before I book. Just a little disappointed, and wanted to rant a little. Thank you for your indulgence.

I realize that, but right now there are 4 available on Baja, and another 2 on deck 9. I would only be interested in an aft in Alaska, and there won't be anymore in Alaska, since this is our 2nd cruise there.Like I said, not complaining, just ranting a little. This dowsn't change my opinion of Princess at all. In fact, I'm also booked on the Sky for next year.

If you wait to book, your air maybe higher and some excursions (if you book through the ship or even privately) maybe filled. You take your chances. I have booked many last minute cruises in Alaska and have been happy.

6 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Drives like Mario, I wouldn't have cared if it went up. I wanted to pay the difference, but the rep told me it went down.

You could’ve paid if you wanted to. The cost was the $600 of OBC. You determined that it was not worth the additional cost.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

We're booked in a standard balcony on the Ruby for an Alaska cruise May,11. I called Princess today to see what it would cost to upgrade us to a Premium balcony, wanting to surprise my DW in an Aft balcony, which she would love in Alaska. To my surprise, the rep said that balcony is lower now than what I paid, and to change, I would lose my perks. Obviously, I turned it down, since I have $600.00 OBC. I'm really not complaining, since it's Princess's policy,but Even to do an even exchange would've been OK. I wasn't looking for any refund to switch. Maybe next time I'll wait till about 6 weeks out on Princess before I book. Just a little disappointed, and wanted to rant a little. Thank you for your indulgence.

I feel your pain!

Sometimes, because we “love” the particular cruise line, or even the experience of cruising, it is easy to forget this is just a business to those on the other end of the phone. The reps area nice people, and I have always been treated nicely, but I, like you, am usually disappointed if I ask for something out of the ordinary. I just keep reminding myself “It’s just business” and try not to get too attached to one cruise line. 

7 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Does the current Premium balcony price include the same perks ($600 OBC) that your current booking?  If not,  then you probably cannot keep it.  If yes, you might want to ask again and make sure they realize that you are not expecting any refund.  Princess pricing various a lot depending on the perks/specials being offered.  The base price of cabins at different times cannot really be compared without factoring in the Perks/Specials.  The Premium cabin might actually be more expensive today than it was when you first booked if it included the same $600 OBC.  I know this is sometimes the case depending on whether the Sip and Sail promotion is included.

You  do have a good attitude about it.  You have decided the paid upgrade is not worth the loss of $600 OBC.

• Like 1

On the issue of the price going down and losing your OBC.  It is something one has to consider.  We did just that prior to final payment we re-fared our cruise since the price had decreased considerably.  We did lose OBC, and gratuities,  however even with the loss we came out $500 ahead, even after deducting the gratuitites, not in OBC but in savings which to us is the same as OBC as we can use our savings just like OBC.  I would say to anyone considering refaring and losing OBC, the savings is your OBC and really not a loss. Think of it as a win win.  

BTW, how did this post go from an OBC pricing issue to a passport problem?

Choices, choices. 

I booked my upcoming B2B as two separate cruises a couple of years ago with the $1 deposit. A year later, I re-booked under “Sip ‘n Sail” and was able to upgrade from an inside to a balcony for only $100 more (as a single) and opted for $300 OBC/cruise rather than the beverage package. 

A couple of months ago, just before final payment, there was a fare decrease, significantly less on one of the cruises, no decrease on the other. I rebooked that cruise under the new promotion, lost my $300 OBC but paid about $250 net less for that cruise. Still have the $300 for my other B2B cruise. Plus shareholder, loyalty, TA, etc. OBC on both. 

The bottom line is that we all have choices. Everyone makes different ones. To me, it’s not fair to rant about a choice one made but someone else would do the opposite. 

• Like 2

I think aft balconies are probably the worst balconies on an Alaskan cruise.  You see what the ship has already passed.  Best is to be forward to see where the ship is going and to see if there is any wildlife up ahead.  Port or starboard balconies are OK but you only see one side or the other, so you can miss a lot.  Aft balconies are also OK, but you miss a lot since you are seeing where the ship has basically passed.

You agreed to whatever terms for a contract for original cabin at the price you wanted. You now want a new contract but the value has dropped of original booking. If you wanted, the Princess rep would change your booking, but was polite to point out the penalty.

We have a corner aft for Alaska at the end of May. I personally do not care if the boat has passed an area, we get our own little area, although not going to Mexico this trip, we hope to use it the same.. just with more layers. I am more surprised your trip has AFT even available, as I know our boat had them sold over a year ago. 😉 I could not tell you about price differences, but a normal balcony seems so much cheaper now than it did when we booked. It was kinda tempting to rebook at a lower cabin to save a bunch of money, although I do love that corner aft and drink package. hahaha 

20 hours ago, JC13 said:

BTW, how did this post go from an OBC pricing issue to a passport problem?

It’s 5:45am, so my brain isn’t at its best, but what did I miss?

i didn’t see any reference to passports in the previous posts on this thread!

4 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

It’s 5:45am, so my brain isn’t at its best, but what did I miss?

i didn’t see any reference to passports in the previous posts on this thread!

They were there.  Apparently and properly removed.

Our thinking with an aft corner balcony on the inside passage Alaska was a good view and shelter from the wind.  If I want to go see what is up front or to the side, I can just peruse along the deck.

:classic_cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lindaru said:

Our thinking with an aft corner balcony on the inside passage Alaska was a good view and shelter from the wind.  If I want to go see what is up front or to the side, I can just peruse along the deck.

:classic_cool:

Exactly our reasons.. plus we have been spoiled by one already 😉 Plus I can lounge in my Pjs and blankey if needed. haha Also.... if it is rainy or wet, it is covered. 😄 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Katwoman007 said:

Exactly our reasons.. plus we have been spoiled by one already 😉 Plus I can lounge in my Pjs and blankey if needed. haha Also.... if it is rainy or wet, it is covered. 😄 

Your logic is inescapable.

No wrap around corner balconies on the Golden so we snagged C748. LOVE the aft cabins whatever the itinerary. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ep010835 said:

Your logic is inescapable.

No wrap around corner balconies on the Golden so we snagged C748. LOVE the aft cabins whatever the itinerary. 

Totally worth the expense. We are in C752. Last cruise we were just on the other side. Hubs asked for the other side to be "different" although I told him we are going to be all messed up remembering we are portside now hahaha Just loved having such a private entrance and it was so quiet. We only saw our neighbors ONCE, when we pulled into Cabo and we were all on the balcony. That was it!

• Like 1