Guarantee Cabin warning. Lesson learned, check the ship map first.

1 minute ago, taglovestocruise said:

just saw there are a couple of 1D's left on deck 12. I would definitely get a higher priced cabin. 11 days looking at a lifeboat, and 30 days thinking about it, is a little over my comfort level.  We are on the 18 night Ovation TP next April and a GTY was a little scary.

How did you see that?  My TA said she would check everyday, I can't expect her to check all day/everyday.  To upgrade to a suite would be more than we paid for our cruise all together, I would rather just walk away since this cruise is going nowhere anyway.

9 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

How did you see that?  My TA said she would check everyday, I can't expect her to check all day/everyday.  To upgrade to a suite would be more than we paid for our cruise all together, I would rather just walk away since this cruise is going nowhere anyway.

I see 12160 available, nothing else.  I would call now before it poofs.  Was over $2k pp.

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

There is one expensive JS too.

I knew about the JS, the 12160 was the one we were trying to book when it went poof the first time.  I just called her and left a message.  How are you finding the available cabins?  Is there a website I should be watching?  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

I knew about the JS, the 12160 was the one we were trying to book when it went poof the first time.  I just called her and left a message.  How are you finding the available cabins?  Is there a website I should be watching?  Thanks!

I can't post the link, against board rules or I would.  I think the Royal Caribbean UK site shows cabins too but where I am looking will get me a time out if I say where, sorry.

7 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

There is one expensive JS too.

Seriously, I would rather book a different cruise that actually goes somewhere than pay to upgrade this one to the Junior Suite, that would cost more than a balcony cabin on a Panama Canal cruise.

5 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

Seriously, I would rather book a different cruise that actually goes somewhere than pay to upgrade this one to the Junior Suite, that would cost more than a balcony cabin on a Panama Canal cruise.

Do you have an insurance policy that will let you cancel for ANY reason?   Or - are you at a date  where you still get come of your money back?

Good luck

M

5 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Do you have an insurance policy that will let you cancel for ANY reason?   Or - are you at a date  where you still get come of your money back?

Good luck

M

No, RCCL notified us of the big itinerary change after the 75% penalty.  That is why I am unhappy with the cruise in the first place.  No insurance.  

It's possible your cabin may have already been changed.  You're on the May 9 sailing, right?

Call your TA.  Cabin 6222 is showing as an available cabin on the RCI UK site.   6708 is also available.   

Edited by AnnaNicole

1 minute ago, AnnaNicole said:

It's possible your cabin may have already been changed.  You're on the May 9 sailing, right?

Call your TA.  Cabin 6222 is showing as an available cabin on the RCI UK site.   6708 is also available.   

Nope - she's on May 2 - cruising to Maui and Victoria.  

My solution (even when I have a balcony cabin) is to enjoy space up on deck.  SO much quiet space available - with a lot more view.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

No, Ovation of the Seas May 2nd.

21 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I can't post the link, against board rules or I would.  I think the Royal Caribbean UK site shows cabins too but where I am looking will get me a time out if I say where, sorry.

Thank you for all your help!  My TA was able to grab cabin 12160 for me.  It cost me almost $1,000 but at least I will not be looking at a lifeboat for 11 days.  The very sad truth is my husband and I have decided this will be our last cruise with Royal Caribbean.  I am so disgusted and we haven't even gone on the cruise yet.  

• Like 2

Nights

Hawaii Cruise

02 MAY 2019 - 13 MAY 2019

Ship: Ovation of the Seas

PORTS OF CALL: Honolulu - Oahu - Hawaii  Honolulu - Oahu - Hawaii  Kilaeua Volcano- Evening Sail  Lahaina - Maui - Hawaii  Lahaina - Maui - Hawaii  Victoria - British Columbia Vancouver - British Columbia

Step 01:Stateroom Guests :

2 Adults

Step 02:select the type of stateroom you would like : Balcony

Step 03:select your specific stateroom

STATEROOM OPTIONS XB 2E 1E 2D 4D 8D 7D 6D 5D
XB

Guaranteed Balcony

OCCUPANCY: 2 ADULTS
£2,488.00
1_gty.jpg

Staterooms may vary in size and configuration from those pictured.

A 'Guaranteed Balcony' means that you pay a low price for a Balcony category room. However, your room number won't be confirmed at the time of booking, but a little later on - this happens between full payment being made and before the sailing departs. ***NOTE THAT GUARANTEED ROOMS ARE EXCLUDED FROM THE EXISTING PROMOTION***

SELECT YOUR OFFER
£2,488.00

Lowest price

VIEW AVAILABLE STATEROOMS
2E
royal_blue_star_trans.png

Obstructed Ocean View Balcony

OCCUPANCY: 2 ADULTS
£2,542.00
1_RCI_Balcony_Stateroom_5K_sml.jpg

Staterooms may vary in size and configuration from those pictured.

Two twin beds that convert to Royal King, sitting area with sofa, full bathroom and private balcony. Stateroom: 198 sq. ft. Balcony: 55 sq. ft.

royal_blue_star_trans.png
SELECT YOUR OFFER
£2,542.00

Lowest price : Discount MORE ABOUT THIS OFFER 

SELECT YOUR STATEROOM

We have selected a great stateroom for you, however, please feel free to select your own.

Stateroom no.
 All decks Deck 6 
 All Positions Midship Aft 
Deck 6
Midship
Deck 6
Aft

1 minute ago, birdie16 said:

Thank you for all your help!  My TA was able to grab cabin 12160 for me.  It cost me almost $1,000 but at least I will not be looking at a lifeboat for 11 days.  The very sad truth is my husband and I have decided this will be our last cruise with Royal Caribbean.  I am so disgusted and we haven't even gone on the cruise yet.  

Glad you were able to get a better cabin!  $1k isn't too bad at all to go from a guarantee balcony on an 11 day cruise.  Try to put it all behind you and enjoy your cruise.  I know many are disappointed with the itinerary change, at least you were able to correct this problem and can enjoy a great view from your balcony. 🙂 

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

Glad you were able to get a better cabin!  $1k isn't too bad at all to go from a guarantee balcony on an 11 day cruise.  Try to put it all behind you and enjoy your cruise.  I know many are disappointed with the itinerary change, at least you were able to correct this problem and can enjoy a great view from your balcony. 🙂 

We thought we purchased a balcony in the first place.  So, in my opinion we paid $1K to go from a balcony to a balcony.  We have no choice but to put it all behind us, looking at a lifeboat for 11 days I would not have been able to do that.  Thank you again for your help.

• Like 1

One thousand dollars is better than looking at a lifeboat for 11 days,  just 100$ a day more, worth every penny to me.

Sometimes, we just have to learn from our mistakes and I have made so MANY, it is ridiculous! 😖

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

I read this thread but don't see where it is RCL's  mistake  when it was you who choose a less expensive guarantee stateroom and didn't do your homework.    Did I miss something?  You wanted to save money and took the gamble.

It;s like those that choose a non refundable rate and then get mad when they get charged to change the ship and/or date

Edited by molly361
  • Like 12

We've booked balcony guarantees many times but would never book one on a Q class ship.  Wouldn't want to risk getting an obstructed view.  We paid a few hundred more to select our cabin on Anthem.  Felt it was well worth the extra $$.

18 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

I guess that is why 6222 became available on RCI UK site.

Glad it worked out for you.   Enjoy your cruise.

2 hours ago, birdie16 said:

That is why I didn't hesitate to book a guarantee balcony.  I had never heard of a ship with an obstructed view balcony cabin.  That is why I said I should have looked closer at the ship map.

Many ships have obstructed balconies. I am very surprised you have never heard of it.

Glad it was resolved and you got what you wanted.

Edited by Arzeena

Glad it worked out for you!  I wouldn't be happy with that cabin either.  I don't like even looking down at the lifeboats let alone sitting directly next to one.  Maybe Royal (if they don't already) could say guaranteed obstructed view balcony in their description to help with this.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

One thousand dollars is better than looking at a lifeboat for 11 days,  just 100$ a day more, worth every penny to me.

Sometimes, we just have to learn from our mistakes and I have made so MANY, it is ridiculous! 😖

So true.

• Like 1