Buyer Beware

cinci4u

Finding new prices for a Viking cruise that you already have booked is tricky. Once you book, you will see same or higher prices for that cruise. Better prices are sent to targeted people.  Those are not you once you book. We booked a cruise a few years ago.  Friends hesitated and waited. Our friends got a promo in the mail. When we questioned it, we were told our cabin category was sold out.  We were told selected people are offered some promotions. We got a run around.  We took the cruise. The price we paid was good enough.  Our friends got a better price. Viking makes price adjustments really tough.  Never book a Viking cruise and hope to get a better price.  We now wait and book only when we like the price or really want a specific itinerary or date.  

Once you book a cruise, or anything else, don’t look back.  I track airfares for months before I buy.  Sometimes the price goes up, sometimes it goes down.  If you keep checking after you buy, you’ll drive yourself nuts.  Just don’t do it!  

Viking has been more than fair and I don’t think it’s right to complain about their pricing policies or customer service.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Wrong and wrong.

- prices can be increased or decreased. If increased, more power to you. If decreased, you can rebook or, in some cases, negotiate for SBC.

- Deposits are refundable except for $200 which can be applied to another booking.

Once again, read the Terms and Conditions on Viking's website.

The loss of $100 ($200 for a cabin) only is applicable for certain length cruises when cancellation is more than 120 days out.

Otherwise, cancellation fees are much steeper.

No where in the T&C does it say the cancellation fee can be applied to another booking.

6 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

No where in the T&C does it say the cancellation fee can be applied to another booking.

Agreed but I have read here of cases where it has happened. Just because it it isn't addressed in the T&C doesn't mean that it is completely off the table.

When you purchase anything, you purchase it because you either need it or because you consider it good value for your money.    A cruise is something you probably only purchase when you consider it good value for your money.   So basically once you have decided that it is a good value and you purchased it, why would you drive yourself crazy wondering if someone else got a better price? 

There is probably not a thing that I ever purchased in my life that someone, somewhere didn't probably get for a lower price either because of timing, or a sale, or whatever.  If my goal was to not buy anything until I was sure that I had the lowest price, I would waste a lot of my valuable time and never end up buying anything.  So my advice is when you find something that you consider a good value for your money, buy it and don't look back.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Better prices are sent to targeted people.  Those are not you once you book.

Generally true - usually these "better prices" for specific cruises are sent within a month or 2 of embarkation. Viking sales agents rarely know if their customers will receive these. More common are discounts for repeat cruisers and booking on board or within 2 weeks of disembarking. Check the website regularly - I found some of the best discounts there. For example, last August, the website said contact Viking for details of an offer. Turned out it was $500pp for a 2 week cruise - added to the $200pp past cruisers get if they book within a year of disembarkation. We booked British Isles for March 2021. Last month, the cruise fare for our DV1 increased by $1,000pp. So if I were to book today, all I would get is the $200pp. So by booking when I did in August saved us $3,000.