Buyer Beware

cinci4u

Cruise Critic Members,

Buyer beware!!! We are booked in a March for a 9/2020 cruise with Viking and are frequent cruisers on other cruise Lines and are cruise critic members. Thought we would try Viking and talk about great disappointment in the cruise line. We booked our trip; given a price and we specifically asked if we saw the price decrease would we get that price and was told they would rebook us to get the lower price.  

The price did decrease by $600.00 and we called Viking and was told there was nothing they could do about it.  Asked to speak to manager and got hung up on.  Called back asked if we cannot have price decrease can we be upgraded instead.  No upgrade no decrease in price.  We will never sail this cruise line, and are cancelling our cruise.

2 minutes ago, cinci4u said:

Cruise Critic Members,

Buyer beware!!! We are booked in a March for a 9/2020 cruise with Viking and are frequent cruisers on other cruise Lines and are cruise critic members. Thought we would try Viking and talk about great disappointment in the cruise line. We booked our trip; given a price and we specifically asked if we saw the price decrease would we get that price and was told they would rebook us to get the lower price.  

The price did decrease by $600.00 and we called Viking and was told there was nothing they could do about it.  Asked to speak to manager and got hung up on.  Called back asked if we cannot have price decrease can we be upgraded instead.  No upgrade no decrease in price.  We will never sail this cruise line, and are cancelling our cruise.

I understand your dissatisfaction but I think for the amount of money you are loosing to cancel the cruise.  You could do that and rebook at the lower fare.  It may not be the same cabin.  This is not my experience but from what I have read, this is how Viking operates.  I don't set the policy but I do report what I've seen here.

I am at a loss to understand this.  Last year we booked - and made the deposit for - a cruise in November of this year.  In early January I saw where the price of our E2 had dropped $1000 pp, and there was an enticing new offer for all new "bookers" for a complimentary SS Beverage Package and $500 pp OBC.  I honestly thought I was misreading it.  A quick call to our travel agent - several hours later the response came back from Viking: Passenger must cancel ($100 pp fee), then rebook in order to take advantage of the special offer.  "Could we have the same ES2 if we do this?"  "Yes."  The biggest no-brainer I have ever encountered.  I do not know how to explain it - perhaps there was no demand for our cabin or the itinerary or...I-don't-know-what.

All of which is by way of suggesting - or rather asking - could you possibly cancel, then rebook immediately (obviously, you would first check on cabin availability), and thereby save at least $400?  I am also curious whether you use a travel agent or deal with Viking by yourself....  I simply don't understand this response from Viking for a cruise that is 17 months in the future.

If you were specifically told that you would be entitled to any future price reduction, there would appear to be a problem. We recently experienced witnessing a price reduction for our next cruise. Truthfully, I never expected to receive any reduction as we booked our cabin while onboard our 6/2018 cruise. We accepted their offer and were satisfied at that time. Several weeks ago Viking offered not only a lower fare but also free airfare for new bookings on our June 2019 cruise to The Midnight Sun. I was shocked as their website had been showing most of the cabins as being “sold out” up until that time. On the the day of the new offering there were suddenly cabins available in almost every category. We inquired about receiving the new fare, but were politely refused. We can live with that. One thing I did learn, however, is to disregard much of the talk about most Viking sailings being sold out. We have been getting weekly emails from our travel agent with many deals on cruises within the next six months.

Who did you ask about obtaining the lower fare?

The Viking website clearly spells out the line's policies on changes and cancellations: 

Revisions: Once a Viking cruise booking has a deposit or air is paid in full, all changes are subject to a US$30.00 charge per change. See Cancellation Policy below for additional details on situations which are classified as cancellations rather than changes.

Cancellation Policy: In the event you cancel a cruise or tour booking for any reason, cancellation fees will apply as noted below. Cancellation fees also will apply to changes to departure date; substitutions of itinerary; substitution of another person for original booked passenger(s); and changes to a promotional fare. No refunds shall be made in the event of interruption or cancellation by a passenger after commencement of the cruise. All cancellations must be in writing and sent to Viking’s office located at 5700 Canoga Avenue, Suite 200, Woodland hills, CA 91367. For all air-inclusive packages cancelled after issuance of an airline ticket, the air portion of the refund, if any, will be processed only after the return of the original airline ticket.

The following cancellation fees will be assessed for all written cancellations received prior to departure up to the scheduled time of departure:

A. Cancellation Fee Schedule Effective for Cruise Tours (other than Grand & World Cruise Voyage) booked on and after August 1, 2018:

WRITTEN NOTICE RECEIVED DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE DATE

CANCELLATION FEE PER PASSENGER

120+

$100.00

119-90

20% of Full Fare

89-70

35% of Full Fare

69-50

50% of Full Fare

49-30

75% of Full Fare

There are other threads discussing this in lots of detail.  As a past cruiser on many of the lines out there I agree that Viking Oceans is "different".  We love the onboard product and, for us, it is the best overall product out there.  Viking Oceans management is, at best, confusing.  We are used to getting past passenger perks, discounts, travel agent rebates, and honoring price drops from all the other lines we sail.  With Viking, as long as we want to do their cruises with their great crews and lovely ships, we simply book late.  I know, lots of VO cruises actually do sell out but so far it works for us.  If not, we too will have to find a more customer oriented booking process.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cinci4u said:

Cruise Critic Members,

Buyer beware!!! We are booked in a March for a 9/2020 cruise with Viking and are frequent cruisers on other cruise Lines and are cruise critic members.

Not sure what the point of these statements is suppose to be.

It comes down to what the representative told me before I booked the cruise.    He told me that I would not see a lower price in the future and if I did, I would get the lower price.  And yes, I  was dealing with Viking directly.    It is the fact that the representative lied to me to get my business.  I never expected the representative to lie to me because of Viking’s reputation.  And yes, $200 is peanuts when you looking at spending over $10,000 for cruise.

Edited by cinci4u

6 minutes ago, cinci4u said:

It comes down to what the representative told me before I booked the cruise.    He told me that I would not see a lower price in the future and if I did, I would get the lower price.  And yes, I  was dealing with Viking directly.    It is the fact that the representative lied to me to get my business.  I never expected the representative to lie to me because Viking reputation.

So I wasn't there when this happened so I can't be sure but if one letter in would was changed to a "c" then the agents statement would be true.  It might cost you $100, if you were far enough out but you could get the lower fare.  People say I don't hear well so I know it can happen.  Of course, I have also be accused of 'hearing what I wanted to'.  I may not think it's right and if they follow through on it then it's policy right or wrong.  I know some people on these threads refer to 'up grades' that are really 'up sales'.  To me, they are not the same things.  I'm sure they'll miss you. 

3 hours ago, cinci4u said:

We booked our trip; given a price and we specifically asked if we saw the price decrease would we get that price and was told they would rebook us to get the lower price.

It seems to me that you answered your own issue.  You yourself use the term "rebook".  This would imply as others above have stated, cancel existing booking and rebook.  Rebook means to book again thereby eliminating the first booking through cancellation.  I am only guessing, having not been privy to your discussions, but imagine your conversation would have gone much differently if you asked to "rebook" at the new fare rather than asking for  a price reduction.

Edited by ropomo
spelling

I asked the manager I was dealing with if they record phone calls and she said yes.  I than asked her if she would be able to review the call and verify what I told her was correct.  She said nothing.  I guess people call what happen to me as the old “Bate and Switch” game.    

14 minutes ago, cinci4u said:

I guess people call what happen to me as the old “Bate and Switch” game.    

This is NOT bait and switch. According to Websters, bait and switch is "a sales tactic in which a customer is attracted by the advertisement of a low-priced item but is then encouraged to buy a higher-priced one."

You bought "product A" and now, after a promotion resulting in a price reduction, you are mad that Viking won't honor the promotional price. That is not bait and switch. The contract you signed clearly states their policy. Personally, I never believe anything a salesman tells me unless I see it in writing.

BTW I bought a new car a year ago and recently the price was reduced. I don't expect the car company to give me a refund.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 3

I am bad for not getting things in writing from the representative that I was dealing with.

However, based on Viking’s so called reputation I should not need to and the manager should honor what there representative states especially if they record calls.  

All I can say is Viking Oceans is NOT like your other (or my other) cruise lines.  Many of the "not like the others" is why we love to sail with them.  Maybe if enough people decide to cancel or not book Viking Oceans then they will offer me a special deal......😎

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cinci4u said:

I am bad for not getting things in writing from the representative that I was dealing with.

However, based on Viking’s so called reputation I should not need to and the manager should honor what there representative states especially if they record calls.  

You are not good or bad.  You trusted Viking and as you say they didn't honor a verbal agreement.  That's why we encourage to get things in writing.  Less chance of confusing things.

I also have been recently stung by lower prices.  I booked my cruise last year for this September.  Last week it went down by $700 per person for a DV6  cabin.  They were also offering free airfare.  I emailed them and told them of my disappointment .

A  few days later the free airfare was removed from the website, but the discounted price remained.  No response from Viking to me.

Unfortunately here in New Zealand (and Australia), we do not have the option to cancel and rebook.  We would loose our deposit $1000 which is non refundable.

Also, this cruise FAR EASTERN DISCOVERY has had bad reviews, so it looks like I booked a lemon.  There are two departure dates this year and none for the future, so it looks like Viking  is discontinuing this itinerary.

4 minutes ago, harbourside said:

I also have been recently stung by lower prices. 

Also, this cruise FAR EASTERN DISCOVERY has had bad reviews, so it looks like I booked a lemon.  There are two departure dates this year and none for the future, so it looks like Viking  is discontinuing this itinerary.

Viking does have some interesting ways of getting information out about their product.  I did Homelands cruise and after a bit I became interested in Mediterranean Odyssey but they had only announced out so far.  It was late 2017 and only one cruise was announced for the 2018 year in March.  When it seemed to be sold out, I contacted my Viking rep about it and he assured me they were not discontinuing it but he could not tell me when the next sailing would be.  About mid May I called Viking in general and was told that there would be 6 more cruises added.  He knew the months and that they would be added for booking on June 1.  I emailed my agent about it and he questioned how I knew since they had not appeared on the computer as yet.  I told him to ask around and there were people working there that could give him the information.  It was important to get in early as we wanted a V cabin.  When the booking opened, we grabbed one for an excellent cruise.  They may be doing some tinkering before they announce more commitments to the cruise.  Stay tuned...

5 minutes ago, harbourside said:

Hi Dauntless.

I doubt it, because all the Asian itineraries for 2020 are on the website.  From a quick glance, there would not be any vacant time frames.

I was just relating my personal experience with Viking.  Things might have changed.

This cruise seems to have been a slow seller, hence the heavy discounts..  It was also discounted when I originally bought it, and seems to be on track for a "fire sale".  I originally purchased it when it was on sale because it seemed a good price then.  Will not book so far out in future.  Live and learn.

2 hours ago, harbourside said:

This cruise seems to have been a slow seller, hence the heavy discounts..  It was also discounted when I originally bought it, and seems to be on track for a "fire sale".  I originally purchased it when it was on sale because it seemed a good price then.  Will not book so far out in future.  Live and learn.

Agree!  Being Australian, with non refundable deposits, I also learnt not to book in advance.  

Edited by MMDown Under

22 hours ago, cinci4u said:

Cruise Critic Members,

No disrespect, but suggest you may wish to heed your advice of "buyer beware".

Prior to paying any deposit, I complete my due diligence, ensuring I have read and understood the small print in the terms & conditions, especially with respect to payments and cancellations. On receiving verbal responses contravening those terms & conditions, I would have it included on the invoice.

We were told by the next cruise person that if a lower price came up or a perk added, we could request those without rebooking or losing our existing perks.  Luckily I have her direct email!  But she said this several times.  When I clarified that if we saw a booklet or website price that was lower than the base price we booked on-board there would be no problem requesting and receiving that reduced fare.  She said, “you should have no problem.”  Now, who to believe?  So far fares have only increased but we are still more than six months out.