Buyer Beware

cinci4u

6 minutes ago, PRH said:

We were told by the next cruise person that if a lower price came up or a perk added, we could request those without rebooking or losing our existing perks.  Luckily I have her direct email!  But she said this several times.  When I clarified that if we saw a booklet or website price that was lower than the base price we booked on-board there would be no problem requesting and receiving that reduced fare.  She said, “you should have no problem.”  Now, who to believe?  So far fares have only increased but we are still more than six months out.

So in the spirit of fairness, are you calling to pay the fare increase?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Folks might be cancelling a lot more now.  hang in there

Have you read the comments on the various threads from passengers on board the Sky during the incident, or passengers that have cruised or plan to cruise Viking in the future?

Posts do not bear out your statement.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, Homosassa said:

Have you read the comments on the various threads from passengers on board the Sky during the incident, or passengers that have cruised or plan to cruise Viking in the future?

Posts do not bear out your statement.

it was just a comment ya know.  Viking has been tarnish free for a long time.  Now they know how other cruise lines feel.

3 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

it was just a comment ya know.  Viking has been tarnish free for a long time.  Now they know how other cruise lines feel.

I wouldn't agree they are tarnish free.  There was the incident with the river ship where two crew died after a collision with a bridge.

Since someone brought about other cruise lines.

Other cruise lines will offer a discounted fare for brand new bookings.  Canceling and booking a new reservation on the same date and ship doesn't qualify for the discounted fare.

Having never sailed Viking Ocean, don't know what their policy is.  Just have been reading this forum in regards to the Sky incident.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:58 PM, zitsky said:

I wonder if the original poster has anything from Viking *in writing* that says they would get a discount if there is a price drop?  If it's not in writing, it's meaningless.

Agreed! It only counts if it in writing.

I am going through this right now with a new booking and I won't pay the deposit until the invoice shows what my my TA says the deal includes. Right now, the language on the invoice shows the exact opposite of what I have been told.

In other words, read every single line of the Viking invoice before you pay your deposit because after you pay, you have a valid contract and it is too late to make changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Agreed! It only counts if it in writing.

I am going through this right now with a new booking and I won't pay the deposit until the invoice shows what my my TA says the deal includes. Right now, the language on the invoice shows the exact opposite of what I have been told.

In other words, read every single line of the Viking invoice before you pay your deposit because after you pay, you have a valid contract and it is too late to make changes.

This cannot be emphasized enough.

A contract consists of an Offer and an Acceptance.  The invoice is the offer.  Your payment is the acceptance...of the contract.

NOTHING exists outside of the documented contract.*

This pretty much applies to everything in the Uniform Commercial Code of law in the US.

* possible exception of an email or letter from Viking delineating an exception, but only in your favor as you have not agreed to such email, etc.

I have had my share of missing out on significant price drop savings since Day 1 sailing with Princess, then Viking (river and ocean), and recently with Scenic.  Before, I did not know I had the option of paying a cancellation penalty and then rebooking.  Now, I have learned to pay attention to the invoice policy before paying deposit.  If the penalty is $500 or more, it is less likely that I shall rebook.  However, for free cancellation or small cancellation penalty of $100-$200, I may encounter the opportunity to rebook for large fare drop.

I do not fault the cruiselines for refusing adjustment to lower fare.  The policy is a result of good business strategy to ensure full ship sailings.  The only problem is that most consumers are not aware of the option of paying cancellation penalty.  I think a good TA should explain well to his/her clients.

i read every line in the invoice before paying deposit, regardless of what my TA says or promises.  Same goes with all invoices (e.g., purchases, home improvement projects., and etc.).

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 3:14 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

well it could be that everyone at Viking is a bit touchy these days given what happened recently up in Norway.

Folks might be cancelling a lot more now.  hang in there

Can’t speak for anyone else, but we have 2 cruises booked and the thought of canceling never entered my mind. 

Edited by Cyber Kat
Typo
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 4/5/2019 at 3:13 PM, cinci4u said:

I asked the manager I was dealing with if they record phone calls and she said yes.  I than asked her if she would be able to review the call and verify what I told her was correct.  She said nothing.  I guess people call what happen to me as the old “Bate and Switch” game.    

Maybe the guy you talked to recently had a job at a car dealer?

Our September cruise was sold out prior to the Covid19 issues and currently our ship (Viking Sea) has over 50 available cabins in all categories as a result of virus cancelations.  I would have thought that prices would drop but they have stayed at the same pricing when it was sold out. We booked in September 2018 and got a very good deal on our PV1 cabin. That same cabin is now $1200pp more than what we booked.  If the cruise stays at this level of capacity I see some good chances of nice upgrades. My sister in 2018 got upgraded at no cost the day of embarkation from a PV1 to a ES-2 cabin when their cruise was at 80% of capacity. She had no idea about the upgrade until she checked in for the cruise in Beijing. 

My TA told me when we booked if the price dropped for our cabin she would rebook us at the lower price, but she did tell me that very seldom do VO prices drop because the most popular itineraries  sell out months before departure, so I had no expectations of any price reductions. This is why I have always used this TA because I trust what she tells me while she has my best interests while the cruise companies only have their best interests. I have been on CC for years and I would have to say the majority of negative issues that are posted have to do with people who book directly with the cruise companies.

Edited by terrydtx

7 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Our September cruise was sold out prior to the Covid19 issues and currently our ship (Viking Sea) has over 50 available cabins in all categories as a result of virus cancelations.  I would have thought that prices would drop but they have stayed at the same pricing when it was sold out. We booked in September 2018 and got a very good deal on our PV1 cabin. That same cabin is now $1200pp more than what we booked.  If the cruise stays at this level of capacity I see some good chances of nice upgrades. My sister in 2018 got upgraded at no cost the day of embarkation from a PV1 to a ES-2 cabin when their cruise was at 80% of capacity. She had no idea about the upgrade until she checked in for the cruise in Beijing. 

My TA told me when we booked if the price dropped for our cabin she would rebook us at the lower price, but she did tell me that very seldom do VO prices drop because the most popular itineraries  sell out months before departure, so I had no expectations of any price reductions. This is why I have always used this TA because I trust what she tells me while she has my best interests while the cruise companies only have their best interests. I have been on CC for years and I would have to say the majority of negative issues that are posted have to do with people who book directly with the cruise companies.

Is there any excuse for being lied to regardless of who is doing the lying?

2 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Is there any excuse for being lied to regardless of who is doing the lying?

If in fact there was a lie, sometimes people only hear what they want to hear or think what they heard and that is why I always get anything in writing about anything offered. With  the high volume of cancelled cruises this year,  it makes no sense Viking would risk another cancelation for a September 2020 cruise over $600.  

• Like 1

Although this thread is over a year old, anyone  booking on Viking or any other cruise line,  should read the terms and conditions readily available on line before booking.

Viking clearly states that a change in fare is considered a cancellation and that a cancellation fee applies.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

This is why I have always used this TA because I trust what she tells me while she has my best interests while the cruise companies only have their best interests. I have been on CC for years and I would have to say the majority of negative issues that are posted have to do with people who book directly with the cruise companies.

Your travel agent wants to sell you any cruise line she handles. My Viking agent wants to sell me only Viking cruises. That’s the difference. Next level is working with one person who best serves your interests given that parameter. You do that with your travel agent; I do that with my Viking agent. I believe a majority of negative issues have to do with a less than stellar TA or Viking agent - not where they get their paycheck.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Your travel agent wants to sell you any cruise line she handles. My Viking agent wants to sell me only Viking cruises. That’s the difference. Next level is working with one person who best serves your interests given that parameter. You do that with your travel agent; I do that with my Viking agent. I believe a majority of negative issues have to do with a less than stellar TA or Viking agent - not where they get their paycheck.

I have to disagree, my TA never tries to push me to any cruise line over another and she sells all cruise lines.  I do my research and ask her to get quotes and book what we want. I have  asked  for any of her customers experience's on a particular cruise line and she had glowing reports about Viking.  I have used her for 15 years and she has always taken care of any problems to my 100% satisfaction and always has my back not the cruise line's back.  Just like I would never buy a house with out using my own real estate agent, I would never buy any cruise directly from a cruise line, I have seen way to many issues during my 15 years on CC doing this. I do agree however there are less than stellar TAs out there but mine is not one of them.

54 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I have to disagree, my TA never tries to push me to any cruise line over another and she sells all cruise lines. 

Somehow you’re reading into my comment that I think your travel agent is pushing specific cruise lines or cruises. Not what I mean at all. A TA can book on several lines while my Viking agent can only book Viking cruises. He doesn’t push me to specific cruises which might give him bonuses. I only cruise Viking - if I did other lines, I would like a TA like yours.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I have to disagree, my TA never tries to push me to any cruise line over another and she sells all cruise lines.  I do my research and ask her to get quotes and book what we want. I have  asked  for any of her customers experience's on a particular cruise line and she had glowing reports about Viking.  I have used her for 15 years and she has always taken care of any problems to my 100% satisfaction and always has my back not the cruise line's back.  Just like I would never buy a house with out using my own real estate agent, I would never buy any cruise directly from a cruise line, I have seen way to many issues during my 15 years on CC doing this. I do agree however there are less than stellar TAs out there but mine is not one of them.

Same here.  My TA does what I ask her to.  She doesn't tell me what to do.  I've booked Viking, Ncl and X.

Getting a bum steer from a Viking rep makes me wonder. We were told straight out that FCV "left over" after a re-book could be used in any way - excursions, gratuities, on board purchases, etc. Nothing in writing. Need we worry?

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

I only cruise Viking - if I did other lines, I would like a TA like yours.

We book cruises for the itinerary and will only use 3 cruise lines, Viking, Celebrity or Holland America so an independent TA is a must. But if I only cruised one line there is no way I would still ever book direct with that cruise line.

I think we have gotten off subject in this thread and the real problem is either with the OP misunderstanding the Viking agent or that agent misleading the OP just to make a sale. My TA would never do that because she would lose my very lucrative cruise business. As is said earlier I can not see Viking losing a booked cruise and future customer over a $600 misunderstanding. When you look at the thousands spent on a Viking cruise, $600 is not that significant in  the the scheme of things.

Edited by terrydtx

21 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Getting a bum steer from a Viking rep makes me wonder. We were told straight out that FCV "left over" after a re-book could be used in any way - excursions, gratuities, on board purchases, etc. Nothing in writing. Need we worry?

Can't say Viking would renege on this but I would always get anything like this in writing. I think I saw in another thread on the same subject that Viking would not let a customer use the FCV for an already booked, but unpaid cruise, after he was told that he could by the Viking rep, he failed to get this in writing.  

53 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

As is said earlier I can not see Viking losing a booked cruise and future customer over a $600 misunderstanding. When you look at the thousands spent on a Viking cruise, $600 is not that significant in  the the scheme of things

Viking almost lost our business over a similar amount. In this case it was not because we had been told we would be refunded, but because (after Hurricane Maria)they were selling PV staterooms for the same price we had paid for our V guarantee. After numerous unsuccessful requests to allow us to move up to a PV, it wasn’t until after numerous emails and we threatened to cancel and rebook at the lower rate (would have cost us the cancelation fee) that they offered us obc.  I still don’t understand why they didn’t just bump us up but....  anyway, all that is to say, that Viking’s sales department doesn’t always do what I would think they should to maintain their otherwise great customer service. 

Cinci4u....

whoever told that you could price adjust on Viking gave you bad info.unlike most other cruise lines,  when you book a Viking cruise, the price never changes. You also post an unrefundable deposit and often are demanded to pay the entire fare months if not years in advance. Crazy?  It works for them.  They seemed to have no problem filling many of their ships way in advance of the sailing dates.  I refuse to book way in advance most of the time and let them hold my money. It does not work for me. I only book way in advance of I am looking at a specific sailing. If not, I wait. I am flexible and retired. I can get away with not much advance notice.  If Viking does the air, leaving last minute is often a good way to travel.  If you have not booked a Viking cruise and show some interest, you will get bombarded with brochures, emails, and deals constantly.  Once you book, you will not get any other email promos and no notice of price changes.  It works for and against them. Not sending you promos for an already booked cruise avoids having you ask for an adjustment or rebooking at a lower fare. Not showing you promos for other cruises, avoids your switching to a different cruise. But the real dumb part of it is there are many people like me that often book 5-6 cruises a year. We are retired, have time and money.  Show me a deal for another cruise, I may book that one too.  Viking cruises are very good. They are expensive and worth it. since you haven’t sailed on Viking, you cannot understand why they have a loyal following.  

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Cinci4u....

whoever told that you could price adjust on Viking gave you bad info.unlike most other cruise lines,  when you book a Viking cruise, the price never changes. You also post an unrefundable deposit and often are demanded to pay the entire fare months if not years in advance.

Wrong and wrong.

- prices can be increased or decreased. If increased, more power to you. If decreased, you can rebook or, in some cases, negotiate for SBC.

- Deposits are refundable except for $200 which can be applied to another booking.

14 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Wrong and wrong.

- prices can be increased or decreased. If increased, more power to you. If decreased, you can rebook or, in some cases, negotiate for SBC.

- Deposits are refundable except for $200 which can be applied to another booking.

I agree, our cruise in September on the Viking Sea increased $1000 pp for our PV1 cabin shortly after we booked in 2018. It never decreased and is still that same price today after numerous cancelations from the Corvid virus.