Thai Food

1 hour ago, Thai Food Charlie said:

Is Thai food served on any of the ships?  Trying to decide which cruise line to book!

Have never seen Thai on any of the current cruise lines that I have sailed on.  This includes Carnival, Royal, Celebrity, Norwegian and MSC.

Before it's drydock to become unasian, the Norwegian Joy probably had Thai food because the ship was originally built for the Asian market.

I’ve seen the occasional dish like pad Thai or a green curry usually as a vegetarian dish on a few lines but nothing exceptional. 

Specifically on Carnival I don’t think there’s any Thai dishes on the current MDR menus and none of the food we had at Chopsticks seemed particularly Thai

1 hour ago, Thai Food Charlie said:

Thank you both.  One of the ships on our short list was that Joy.  Maybe we will go ahead and book that.  Now fingers crossed we can find an acceptable rate.  We want to sail in late November or early December which is when our vacation time at work is!

Because of the success of the Norwegian Bliss in Alaska last year, they decided to Americanize the Joy and move it to Alaska starting later this month into early fall.

On my phone, so I can't provide a link, but there are 3 ships in the Carnival fleet that will probably be the closest to what you are looking for.  Jiji's Asian Kitchen is on the Horizon, Vista and Sunshine. Do a Google and YouTube search to check out menus and reviews. It's 15.00 to eat dinner there.

Edited by SNJCruisers

Some Holland America ships have a specialty restaurant called Tamarind that serves Asian food and is very popular. You might want to try.

I agree though Thai food is like Chinese food, there is a huuuuuuge difference between good and bad ones.

We have never experienced  real Thai food (like we have eaten in Thailand) on any cruise ship.  Some do offer Americanized Thai dishes like Pad Thai (kind of like eating Chow Mein in a Chinese restaurant) but this would not satisfy most seeking real Thai food.

Hank

Never had Thai food on any ship.  Well, once or twice it was advertised as Thai but it was anything but.

Just came back from Thailand.  Ate Thai every day for a month and then for a good part of our time in Australia.  Even in Thailand, in very touristy areas , we make sure to ask the server to prepare our dishes 'local Thai style' otherwise the food can be dumbed down with little spice/taste.

Edited by iancal

20 hours ago, Thai Food Charlie said:

Is Thai food served on any of the ships?  Trying to decide which cruise line to book!

really?

14 hours ago, Thai Food Charlie said:

Didn't say I was!

I am inferring that the "Didn't say I was!" was referring to the back end of your statement about sailing to Thailand, which he did not say, as opposed to the front end of your statement about cruising specifically for Thai food, which he did indeed say.

5 hours ago, coevan said:

really?

Yes really.  We have narrowed it down to three cruises and have several factors to base our decision on.  We have been able to find out the answers to all of our questions on our own except for this one.  Something being a small part of the decision process does not equate to it being the deciding factor.  Even so, if all else is equal what difference does it make to you what our final deciding factor is?

It's rare to find any authentic Asian food on cruise ships unfortunately. I have had some good Asian fusion dishes but mostly the simple classics like Pad Thai are dumbed down. The worst I ever had was a so-called Hunan Beef on Celebrity Solstice that didn't have even the tiniest bit of chilli in it, it was just a boring, tasteless beef stirfry.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

If you like real Thai food or any other regional cuisine that is dependent on spices (e.g. Indian, Szechuan) cruise ships are not the place to find it.  If you do it will be sufficiently bland to accommodate less adventuresome North American palates. 

Cruise ship cuisine is industrial dining at best.  The really good local food is found onshore.

HAL had a huge variety of food catering on local cuisine for our Indian Ocean Explorer cruise, we had dishes on differing nights that catered towards Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Sri Lanka and the Maldives.