Would you choose Interior or Oceanview?

BRKNFL

Sailing Coral Princess Voyage of the Glaciers SB in June. We’re currently booked mid-forward interior, Baja 421. For the same price we’ve been offered to switch to mid-aft oceanview, Plaza 505.

We chose the interior room originally because of price and having staterooms above and below. We are planning on spending lots of time outside on the decks for viewing.

The window would be nice, but do you think it would be be noisy near the atrium? Any other positives or negatives when comparing Baja deck to Plaza deck?

Which would you choose?

Considering that the ever changing view is basically 24/7 on an Alaska cruise, I would definitely go for the window. No matter how much time you plan on spending on deck, you can’t be out there all the time. Some of the most amazing views we saw when we sailed to Alaska were from the comfort of our stateroom, and when we least expected it. I always remember looking out the window a few minutes after waking up and seeing whales just pop out of the water not too far from the ship. That’s the kind of thing I would’ve missed if I didn’t have a view from my stateroom. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BRKNFL said:

Sailing Coral Princess Voyage of the Glaciers SB in June. We’re currently booked mid-forward interior, Baja 421. For the same price we’ve been offered to switch to mid-aft oceanview, Plaza 505.

We chose the interior room originally because of price and having staterooms above and below. We are planning on spending lots of time outside on the decks for viewing.

The window would be nice, but do you think it would be be noisy near the atrium? Any other positives or negatives when comparing Baja deck to Plaza deck?

Which would you choose?

I would grab 505. It is 5 cabins away from the atrium. So no noise imo from the atrium.

Above is a carpeted hallway with the photo desk and shopping host desk as well as the IC off to one side but not over the cabin.

There is really nothing there that would be too noisy above.

A quick run 2 decks up to the Promenade deck viewing outside!

36 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Considering that the ever changing view is basically 24/7 on an Alaska cruise, I would definitely go for the window. No matter how much time you plan on spending on deck, you can’t be out there all the time. Some of the most amazing views we saw when we sailed to Alaska were from the comfort of our stateroom, and when we least expected it. I always remember looking out the window a few minutes after waking up and seeing whales just pop out of the water not too far from the ship. That’s the kind of thing I would’ve missed if I didn’t have a view from my stateroom. 

17 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I would grab 505. It is 5 cabins away from the atrium. So no noise imo from the atrium.

Above is a carpeted hallway with the photo desk and shopping host desk as well as the IC off to one side but not over the cabin.

There is really nothing there that would be too noisy above.

A quick run 2 decks up to the Promenade deck viewing outside!

Thank you Tapi and Colo Cruiser! You make very good points. Hopefully someone out there has been on Baja deck in this area before.

I sailed in a Plaza deck OV cabin on Star Princess. Never again. Just as much (if not more) noise from below as from above.

That said, the Plaza deck cabins on Coral being aft of the atrium rather than forward of it may be quieter and definitely will have less passersby than on the Grand-class ships as they are not bisected by the "Fine Arts" Gallery.

For my Alaska B2B last summer (northbound on Island, south on Golden) coincidentally on Island I was in a Baja interior cabin just a few forward of yours on Coral. Since I also planned to spend every possible moment out on deck having a windowless cabin gave me a helpful nudge to be up & out on time for every opportunity. Also as the MDRs and HC are forward rather than aft on Coral & Island, forward on Baja is equally convenient to both as well as the theater.

While I wasn't able to take advantage of any price drops (or offered a free upgrade) I am glad I stayed put and saved the cost of the upsells I could have taken for both. But no cost is enticing, the days will be long and southbound has a few hours less in port than northbound. So while I wouldn't jump without a second thought as some of the other responses would, its your decision--with no harm either way.

Edited by fishywood

9 minutes ago, fishywood said:

I sailed in a Plaza deck OV cabin on Star Princess. Never again. Just as much (if not more) noise from below as from above.

That said, the Plaza deck cabins on Coral being aft of the atrium rather than forward of it may be quieter and definitely will have less passersby than on the Grand-class ships as they are not bisected by the "Fine Arts" Gallery.

For my Alaska B2B last summer (northbound on Island, south on Golden) coincidentally on Island I was in a Baja interior cabin just a few forward of yours on Coral. Since I also planned to spend every possible moment out on deck having a windowless cabin gave me a helpful nudge to be up & out on time for every opportunity. Also as the MDRs and HC are forward rather than aft on Coral & Island, forward on Baja is equally convenient to both as well as the theater.

While I wasn't able to take advantage of any price drops (or offered a free upgrade) I am glad I stayed put and saved the cost of the upsells I could have taken for both. But no cost is enticing, the days will be long and southbound has a few hours less in port than northbound. So while I wouldn't jump without a second thought as some of the other responses would, its your decision--with no harm either way.

This is exactly the kind of input I was hoping for, thank you! So do you happen to know, or does someone know what is aft on the Gala Deck (4) on the Coral? Engine?

1 minute ago, BRKNFL said:

This is exactly the kind of input I was hoping for, thank you! So do you happen to know, or does someone know what is aft on the Gala Deck (4) on the Coral? Engine?

FWIW you cannot compare the Star to the Coral.

22 minutes ago, geoherb said:

The good thing about a Plaza Deck ocean view is that if you see something interesting, you can run upstairs to see it unobstructed. For the same price, it's great.

Good point!

Tapa and Colo Cruiser have given you excellent advice.  The Alaska itinerary is one of the last ones where we would ever choose an interior cabin.  Too much interesting scenery out there.  FYI, we sailed the Voyage of the Glaciers on the Coral and loved the cruise and the ship.  We loved the ship so much that we later booked her for a Panama Canal Cruise (same cabin too!).

Something to consider, an Alaska cruise is somewhat different from a Caribbean cruise.  Most of the people on the ship are interested in the scenery, not partying or atrium activities.  I would be less concerned about atrium noise on this itinerary.  In short, I would definitely go for the ocean view.

Our friends had P503 on the Coral last year when we all sailed the Panama Canal. They loved the cabin and had no complaints. It was super convenient.  There is somewhat of a wall separating the atrium from the opening to the hallway for those cabins.

If the prices are the same, it is a no brainer.  My first trip to Alaska was in an inside, it was spectacular because we were a few steps from the back pool deck (Sapphire).   I can't imagine spending time viewing through the window, as they are usually quite dirty and the view is very limited.  I think the main advantage of a window is knowing if it is dark or light outside and if a raincoat is required. 

We debated long and hard on inside or ocean view for our Southbound Alaska and ended up with a carefully chosen partially obstructed ocean view ...we were so glad we did, we saw so much wildlife just from our window ....wonderful !!

Hope you have an amazing time !!!! it’s fantastic 😊

We were in P603 on the Island on our first trip to Alaska and it was wonderful!  Fantastic location- easy on and off the ship; promenade deck, etc.  No noise whatsoever.  Go for it - you will not regret it!!  Alaska is awesome!

14 minutes ago, pamwigs said:

Inside. Use the money you save with an inside cabin on excursions. We love inside cabins. We only shower and sleep there.

The OP has been offered an oceanview for the same price they have paid for an inside cabin so they would not be saving any money to stay with the inside cabin.

I agree with the advice to accept the upgrade.

Thank you so much everyone! Based on all the feedback we have decided to go with the Oceanview Room and we can't wait for our cruise!

I'll make sure and post a review after we return. I love the help of the CC community!

• Like 1

Take your pick.  Would you rather live in a box with nothing but 4 walls and a light switch, or live in a box with a window that you can look out of?  Very easy for me to pick which one.  We're balcony type people, so we wouldn't pick either one, but for you definitely a window going to Alaska.  I would go nuts in an inside cabin.

2 hours ago, BRKNFL said:

Thank you so much everyone! Based on all the feedback we have decided to go with the Oceanview Room and we can't wait for our cruise!

I'll make sure and post a review after we return. I love the help of the CC community!

Great choice.  If you are a coffee/tea person, it's nice to be close to the patisserie for those morning coffee runs. 

Oceanview, for sure.  It is always great, in Alaska, to be able to look out and see the scenery.  I have even seen porpoises, and dolphins, up close, from oceanview rooms.

i have been on 14 Alaska cruises.  My first two were in interior rooms.  The view is definitely worth it, from oceanview🐬🐋🐠🐟🌞🌙🌊 🙂🛳