New Chef’s Table Menu-Lotus!!!

Clay Clayton

Just finished our last dinner aboard Viking Sea after a wonderful TA. At the suggestion of the best restaurant manager at sea-John the Scotsman, we ate the Chef’s Table to try their new “Lotus” Menu. It includes dishes influenced from India, Signapore, Thailand and Japan. Each course was delicious but the main was extraordinary. The lamb chops were truly delicious-even my DMIL who was dubious to say the least was glad she had trusted her new best friend John’s recommendation. I HIGHLY recommend you try this menu if offered on your cruise!

I’ve included pictures of the menu and each dish below. Let me know if you have any questions. 

CE9018DD-1542-4A0D-8CD2-8B90F0FDE494.jpeg

992E9617-35F3-4FCB-8320-8B94E0056866.jpeg

6085D37B-A0EF-4F7A-B195-A7DFD6170D51.jpeg

1B87EC1B-1305-465E-AA76-343593449F78.jpeg

4B4436D2-9915-4F3F-BA6A-39721860D4B2.jpeg

BB5142A5-F26C-4121-9D8D-F65C33D3AFC2.jpeg

71B194CE-430D-47AC-AEF5-758FB228C5BE.jpeg

AF03CE1D-A2E3-42C3-9C9D-FE260EA28047.jpeg

• Like 3

so nice to see them branch out with the Chef's Table menus!  We leave very soon on the Jupiter and hope it will be on the menu there.   The Chef's Table has been our favorite place on our past Viking cruises - as it is the one place we can try things we don't get at home that much!   And with the wine pairings, it feels like a special dinner!

• Like 1

Holy Cow!  Those lamb chops look delicious ... but that plate looked like it could feed an entire family!  We will be cruising this summer and looking forward to (hopefully) trying the new Mexican and this menu when we sail.  I just wish Manfredi's would change things up a bit too! 

17 hours ago, molymoo said:

Holy Cow!  Those lamb chops look delicious ... but that plate looked like it could feed an entire family!  We will be cruising this summer and looking forward to (hopefully) trying the new Mexican and this menu when we sail.  I just wish Manfredi's would change things up a bit too! 

I may have zoomed in a little too much-sorry. I didn't think it was too much.  If the chocolate buffet hadn't been the same night, I might have taken the server up on his offer to bring us another plate to split amongst the three of us. 😂

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thanks for the post.  Look's interesting.  Did you happen to take a picture of the wine list?

Here you go...nothing special though I really liked the non-silver spirits dessert wine.  It was mighty tasty with the cheesecake....less so by itself. 😂

AB86B86B-22C9-476D-AE23-12388279D943.jpeg

I see what you mean about the wines.  Some are not familiar to me and I would like to try those.  I do know Petit Manseng because it is grown here in North Carolina.  It's quite nice.  Just a touch of sweetness.  There is a local French restaurant that I go to.  I will sometimes order the PM instead of one of the French whites.  I have never had it as a dessert wine though.

Edited by zitsky

I don’t understand why the basic offer is Merlot and the premium is Zinfandel for the main serving. They are completely different wine styles. I’ve got SSP but would take the merlot in preference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I'm not wowed by the premium choices but I do like Zinfandel.

I find it way too sweet. It’s a light red, rose, while Merlot is a fully bodied red. Doesn’t make sense that the Zinfandel would pair well with the same foods esp lamb. 

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

I find it way too sweet. It’s a light red, rose, while Merlot is a fully bodied red. Doesn’t make sense that the Zinfandel would pair well with the same foods esp lamb. 

Are you thinking maybe of White Zinfandel?

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Here you go...nothing special though I really liked the non-silver spirits dessert wine.  It was mighty tasty with the cheesecake....less so by itself. 😂

AB86B86B-22C9-476D-AE23-12388279D943.jpeg

I really liked this wine.  On the ship it was not included as 'included' but we did get to try it at CT for this menu at no extra charge.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pushka said:

Maybe? The only Zinfandel we have in Australia is a rose by Woodbridge. 

I may be wrong, no wine expert here, but I think Zinfandel that is being served here is closer to what you know as a Syrah.  It was not a rose-what in the USA is called a White Zinfandel.

41 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I may be wrong, no wine expert here, but I think Zinfandel that is being served here is closer to what you know as a Syrah.  It was not a rose-what in the USA is called a White Zinfandel.

Yes, that makes better sense. I’ve always thought of the Zinfandel as Rose because here white is white wine and pink is rose or blush wine or sparkling. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:09 PM, Clay Clayton said:

I may have zoomed in a little too much-sorry. I didn't think it was too much.  If the chocolate buffet hadn't been the same night, I might have taken the server up on his offer to bring us another plate to split amongst the three of us. 😂

Chocolate buffet?  Might be my favorite phrase in the English language (apologies to the Bard). 

I found an online review of the Scandinavian menu at the Chef's Table, interesting that lamb is featured again.  This is the meal DH and I have reserved this summer.  https://do-you-*****/the-best-meal-at-sea/

On 4/15/2019 at 8:26 AM, Scootoir said:

Chocolate buffet?  Might be my favorite phrase in the English language (apologies to the Bard). 

It was a nice end to a great TA. Most of the sweets were the usual suspects seen previously but the best (IMHO) were the HUGE slabs of chocolate (white, milk, & dark) studded with various goodies-cranberries, nuts, etc.  from which they hacked off the size portion you requested.