New England Cruise from NYC

Gsmilie

Hi there looking for some help with an idea i had before our new england cruise from NYC with norwegian.  We are flying into la guardia the night before our cruise from NYC and i was toying with the idea of staying in brooklyn that night so that we can walk across the brooklyn bridge the next morning.  Im really concerned about the logistics of this.  Has anyone done this?  Is this a crazy idea?  I just thought it be cool to see the bridge and once were on the other side we would get an uber or something to the manhattan cruise terminal.  Is it going to be hard to carry 2 luggage spinners across the bridge?  i know its going to be about an hours walk and it should be fine to do the walk but how hard will it be logistics wise?  thats what im mostly concerned about....

Any tips or advice would be great

Thanks in advance

Maybe you can stay somewhere in Manhattan, take the subway to Brooklyn Bridge (station is in Manhattan), do your walk, take a taxi/Uber back to the hotel and then head to the port from there. There are a few more steps involved but I think you will appreciate the bridge more without the luggage.

Yeah, logistically, it's not worthwhile. Stay in midtown Manhattan. Close to most of the sights and the pier. Save Brooklyn for when you're taking a ship from Red Hook (currently only the Queen Mary 2 and the largest Princess ships - but as ships get bigger, they will no longer be able to dock in the Hudson.)

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I thought the NCL Getaway or Breakaway sails out of Manhattan; and that ship is huge; probably bigger than Queen Mary 2

The QM 2 is about 60 feet longer than the big NCL ships sailing from Manhattan. I sailed on the QM2 when she was new from Manhattan before the Brooklyn cruise pier was built. She did extend beyond the pier and there was a small patrol boat stationed just behind her to prevent other boats from getting too close .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

what is the largest ship that can use Manhattan terminal?

Probably the big NCL ships. (Perhaps a Princess ship that's not quuuuuite too big - but in gross tonnage, I suspect that the NCL ships would win for the same length ship.)

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

what is the largest ship that can use Manhattan terminal?

Per the official port website, nycruise.com :

Maximum Ship Dimensions for berths

Length: 1000′

Width: 150′

Draught: 36′

In fact the Norwegian Escape, currently the longest ship docking there, is 1,069 feet long and the QM2, which has docked there in the past is 1,132 feet long. Both extend past the end of the pier.

On 4/14/2019 at 12:59 PM, MarkBearSF said:

Yeah, logistically, it's not worthwhile. Stay in midtown Manhattan. Close to most of the sights and the pier. Save Brooklyn for when you're taking a ship from Red Hook (currently only the Queen Mary 2 and the largest Princess ships - but as ships get bigger, they will no longer be able to dock in the Hudson.)

I believe there are some NCL ships docking in Brooklyn this summer.

6 hours ago, bones774 said:

I believe there are some NCL ships docking in Brooklyn this summer.

One ship, Norwegian Jade, not an NCL ship that normally sails from NY, for two cruises in April. Relocated from Manhattan because there was no room for the ship to dock there on its second cruise on 4/28, which is a transatlantic repo.  They moved both the 4/18 and 4/28 cruises to Brooklyn so that the 4/18 passengers could both start and end their cruise at the same place rather than creating a logistical nightmare by having the 4/18 passengers depart from Manhattan but disembark in Brooklyn

Breakway, Getwaway and Epic all have used Manhattan often.  Carnival Horizon also (with some difficulty, crashing into Pier 90).

Breakaway has ended it's long term stay in NY but will return for a few cruises in the next 2 years.

Agree with all the posters that you should take a separate walk on the Brooklyn Bridge.  If you are comfortable learning the subway system you can walk across and take the subway to/from each side.