Concierge Behavior: Negative experience; your take?

I am curious how others would feel and how you would have seeked to resolve the issue. 

I think some back story for context is appropriate: 

We decided as a family that our mother in law should join us on our trip; stay active, have a nice time with her grandson, etc.  Our Father In law passed on a few weeks ago.

So she booked a room at the double supplement and came with us and generally had an upbeat spirit about being with us. 

We separated at muster (different stations) and agreed we would meet up at 6PM before heading to specialty dining reservations. 

In that time there were numerous issues that had my mother in law frustrated and just wanting to ask for some help.  

She came to the Diamond Lounge, where she knew we (myself, wife, son) were going to go before dinner to seek us out and ask for help.  She is Emerald and knew she could not be in the lounge; to be honest I don't know how she even got in. 

She was not in the lounge for 10 seconds before the concierge came over and LOUDLY demanded the Seapass card to check.  Not like leaning in, just very loud to make a display of my mother in law.  For the record my Mother in Law does not drink ever and is on a restrictive diet so really doesn't want lounge appetizers either.  She only came to find us to see if we could help.  The concierge had the room STOPPED with her booming voice demanding that she leave immediately.  People around us were just jaw dropped.  

My mother in law explained she only had some issues and needed help, the concierge demanded OUT.  I stepped in and asked the concierge if she could please help my mother in law to resolve an issue.  The concierge calmed down and said yes come with me.  The concierge walked to her desk and pointed MIL out of the room.  I approached the concierge and said I had just asked for your assistance and you said yes, and all you did was kick her out.  I did not appreciate that.  I left the lounge but did not see my MIL.  I tried the house phone to call MIL room but was not there.  I went back to the lounge and again asked the concierge if she would call for help and she said yes (at this point I did not know what the actual issue(s) were or where my MIL was). 

About 5 minutes later the concierge said "I have an assistant to help, please come to my desk".  We go to the concierge desk and she says 'I am calling security on you for breaking the rules."  I was incredulous.  I replied you asked me to come over here and that you had an assistant to help.  There is no assistant, I don't know why you said there was.  As far as security, please call them.  I didn't allow anyone in the lounge, I wasn't being loud, vulgar, had not violated guest conduct policy, etc.  Furthermore, that lady you threw out for no reason also just paid for 4 more rooms on a Royal Caribbean ship" (She is taking the entire family on a summer cruise) The concierge simply got up and went back to chatting up the nearest guest.  No security was ever called.  The concierge from that point on would not look at or address us for the remainder of the cruise.  

The total time transpired was under 15 minutes.  Other guests were coming up to us saying they were appalled and whether Pinnacle or first time cruiser no one should have been treated that way.  One D+ told us "the concierge likes to make an example of someone the first night to make sure people know how the lounge works, but that was pretty stupid on her part to act that way and the cruise line owes an apology".  

FTR:  The rest of the week we saw people "bringing in friends", people in swimwear, people double and triple-fisting drinks on their way out (2 glasses of wine and getting unopened cans of soda to stuff in their bags) so the concierge clearly really doesn't care about these things. It is my opinion that something completely unrelated must have occurred and the concierge simply chose MIL as a punching bag on the spot.   

How would you have felt or what next step actions do you think appropriate?  I have a letter drafted to the C suite about this and contemplating if I send it or toss it.  

26 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

It is my opinion that something completely unrelated must have occurred and the concierge simply chose MIL as a punching bag on the spot.   

How would you have felt or what next step actions do you think appropriate? 

While very unfortunate, that could be what happened. When this issue comes up, most on CC would probably want the end result  (person not belonging removed from lounge) but not the way it happened. Don't compare it with what happened later in the sailing. 

Biker, who would chalk it up to an unprofessional concierge in the DL who doesn't merit any further attention.

33 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

While very unfortunate, that could be what happened. When this issue comes up, most on CC would probably want the end result  (person not belonging removed from lounge) but not the way it happened. 

Probably a fair assessment, but the concierge was simply in the wrong.  If something occurred and the concierge could not act in a dignified manner or represent the company appropriately, she should have taken a break and asked for coverage.  There is no "correct" level of cruise points necessary to be dealt with in a human fashion. 

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

The Concierge's "boss" is the Guest Services Manager.  I would have spoken to him/her.

My thoughts exactly.  And I would have spoken to the Guest Services Manager while on board.  While it is not too late now that the OP is home, something like this should have been addressed immediately while on board.

• Like 2

I would have been in search of an immediate resolution.  Do not believe in speaking to guest relations.  I would have spoken to the head of Guest Relations, Hotel Director, Food & Beverage Manager and the Captain if necessary.  I do not know how old your MIL is but almost sounds like elder abuse to me.  As a former teacher, you could be severely dealt with if you shamed a student as this person shamed you and your family.  There is no excuse in this world for that type of unprofessional behavior.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

The Concierge's "boss" is the Guest Services Manager.  I would have spoken to him/her.

My MIL requested at Guest Services next day that the GS Manager contact her; the GSM did contact her directly onboard about it.   I guess the GSM had contacted the concierge before following up with MIL because GSM started off talking about "the rules" of the lounge when really that had nothing to do with anything.  They did have further discussion 1 on 1 and MIL felt it was appropriate of GSM to reach out but never did even get a cursory apology from the concierge. 

It was just wrong.  

right is right. 

wrong is wrong.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I would have been in search of an immediate resolution.  Do not believe in speaking to guest relations.  I would have spoken to the head of Guest Relations, Hotel Director, Food & Beverage Manager and the Captain if necessary.  I do not know how old your MIL is but almost sounds like elder abuse to me.  As a former teacher, you could be severely dealt with if you shamed a student as this person shamed you and your family.  There is no excuse in this world for that type of unprofessional behavior.

My MIL is of an older generation; she also was a teacher and said EXACTLY what you said in your post.  My FIL was a Gov't Atty and Military background; he handled a lot for her.  Many of the younger generation could learn a lot about ethical behavior from them. She wasn't looking for a freebie.  She was distraught at resolving some issues.  She didn't have anything that she asked for. 

Frankly, I suggested she cancel the 4 cabins that she booked for us this summer but she said she wanted the grandkids to enjoy the Perfect Day at CocoCay so didn't want to change lines. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

My MIL is of an older generation; she also was a teacher and said EXACTLY what you said in your post.  My FIL was a Gov't Atty and Military background; he handled a lot for her.  Many of the younger generation could learn a lot about ethical behavior from them. She wasn't looking for a freebie.  She was distraught at resolving some issues.  

You do know that you do not have to separate for muster, don't you?  We traveled with a couple for years who were super seniors.  I would take their cards and check them in at muster station and then meet them in the area reserved for people with medical issues.  To this day I never stand on deck for muster.  I would end up in medical center or maybe carted off ship to hospital.  I check in and then report to Bolero Lounge if that is the reserved area.  

3 minutes ago, SamTimeDining said:

Are you kidding?

Not at all.  Would not be the first time.  I was taught to stand up for my rights.  I have the right to be treated as an adult.  I also expect to treat others in a respectful manner.

Edited by Snit13
add
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Frankly, I suggested she cancel the 4 cabins that she booked for us this summer but she said she wanted the grandkids to enjoy the Perfect Day at CocoCay so didn't want to change lines. 

And that right ^^^^^^ there demonstrates the high character of your MIL.  Personally, I would have let my purse/wallet do the walking and switched lines.

1 minute ago, Snit13 said:

You do know that you do not have to separate for muster, don't you?  We traveled with a couple for years who were super seniors.  I would take their cards and check them in at muster station and then meet them in the area reserved for people with medical issues.  To this day I never stand on deck for muster.  I would end up in medical center or maybe carted off ship to hospital.  I check in and then report to Bolero Lounge if that is the reserved area.  

On Allure all muster stations are indoors.  Each cabin had a different muster location.  This was not an issue for any of us, but good to know your experience and thanks for the tip. 

I don't for a moment believe this was elder abuse, smh. It sounds like other than an apology everything was resolved. The DL, concierge, at this point, is unlikely to give an apology. Your mother in law doesn't want to cancle her upcoming cruises, let it go... Move on. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

On Allure all muster stations are indoors.  Each cabin had a different muster location.  This was not an issue for any of us, but good to know your experience and thanks for the tip. 

No they aren't, four muster stations are in the Aqua Theater.

8 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Not at all.  Would not be the first time.  I was taught to stand up for my rights.  I have the right to be treated as an adult.  I also expect to treat others in a respectful manner.

And you need to speak to the captain for that, by passing other levels and their ability to help you.... Thats not respectful. 

• Like 1

I had a similar situation happen several years back on the Serenade. While showing my mother's BF around the ship, we wandered into the CVL which was being used for DL overflow. Keep in mind she was 85 at the time! The way she was spoken to was appalling! I had no issues with someone asking us to leave, although I was D+ at the time. What I was highly offended by was the loud, rude & demeaning way an 85 yr old woman was spoken to by a man less than half her age! I immediately went to the CL & spoke with the concierge about it! I insisted she received a formal apology from the DL concierge! She was sent a bottle of champagne with a hand written apology note. There is a discrete way to handle such situations. Humiliating someone regardless of their C&A stat or cabin type is NEVER ok! To speak to someone that age in that way is shameful!!!  

• Like 9

Frankly, I would have been livid!  The Concierge has supposedly been trained in relating to others and solving problems. How hard would it have been for her to discreetly ask if there was a problem since her photo did not show up on her list of those that can use the lounge?!  Just unbelievable treatment to a guest and no respect either!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RazorbackIslandGirl said:

I had a similar situation happen several years back on the Serenade. While showing my mother's BF around the ship, we wandered into the CVL which was being used for DL overflow. Keep in mind she was 85 at the time! The way she was spoken to was appalling! I had no issues with someone asking us to leave, although I was D+ at the time. What I was highly offended by was the loud, rude & demeaning way an 85 yr old woman was spoken to by a man less than half her age! I immediately went to the CL & spoke with the concierge about it! I insisted she received a formal apology from the DL concierge! She was sent a bottle of champagne with a hand written apology note. There is a discrete way to handle such situations. Humiliating someone regardless of their C&A stat or cabin type is NEVER ok! To speak to someone that age in that way is shameful!!!  

Age has nothing to do with how anyone should be treated no matter who you are or by who you are. Like your experience and the OPs the behavior of the DLC was unacceptable and needed to be immediately reported to her/his boss. I would also have stopped by the C&A loyalty desk and spoke with the LA about the DLC. The DLC would also have been mentioned in our PCS. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I am curious how others would feel and how you would have seeked to resolve the issue. 

I think some back story for context is appropriate: 

We decided as a family that our mother in law should join us on our trip; stay active, have a nice time with her grandson, etc.  Our Father In law passed on a few weeks ago.

So she booked a room at the double supplement and came with us and generally had an upbeat spirit about being with us. 

We separated at muster (different stations) and agreed we would meet up at 6PM before heading to specialty dining reservations. 

In that time there were numerous issues that had my mother in law frustrated and just wanting to ask for some help.  

She came to the Diamond Lounge, where she knew we (myself, wife, son) were going to go before dinner to seek us out and ask for help.  She is Emerald and knew she could not be in the lounge; to be honest I don't know how she even got in. 

She was not in the lounge for 10 seconds before the concierge came over and LOUDLY demanded the Seapass card to check.  Not like leaning in, just very loud to make a display of my mother in law.  For the record my Mother in Law does not drink ever and is on a restrictive diet so really doesn't want lounge appetizers either.  She only came to find us to see if we could help.  The concierge had the room STOPPED with her booming voice demanding that she leave immediately.  People around us were just jaw dropped.  

My mother in law explained she only had some issues and needed help, the concierge demanded OUT.  I stepped in and asked the concierge if she could please help my mother in law to resolve an issue.  The concierge calmed down and said yes come with me.  The concierge walked to her desk and pointed MIL out of the room.  I approached the concierge and said I had just asked for your assistance and you said yes, and all you did was kick her out.  I did not appreciate that.  I left the lounge but did not see my MIL.  I tried the house phone to call MIL room but was not there.  I went back to the lounge and again asked the concierge if she would call for help and she said yes (at this point I did not know what the actual issue(s) were or where my MIL was). 

About 5 minutes later the concierge said "I have an assistant to help, please come to my desk".  We go to the concierge desk and she says 'I am calling security on you for breaking the rules."  I was incredulous.  I replied you asked me to come over here and that you had an assistant to help.  There is no assistant, I don't know why you said there was.  As far as security, please call them.  I didn't allow anyone in the lounge, I wasn't being loud, vulgar, had not violated guest conduct policy, etc.  Furthermore, that lady you threw out for no reason also just paid for 4 more rooms on a Royal Caribbean ship" (She is taking the entire family on a summer cruise) The concierge simply got up and went back to chatting up the nearest guest.  No security was ever called.  The concierge from that point on would not look at or address us for the remainder of the cruise.  

The total time transpired was under 15 minutes.  Other guests were coming up to us saying they were appalled and whether Pinnacle or first time cruiser no one should have been treated that way.  One D+ told us "the concierge likes to make an example of someone the first night to make sure people know how the lounge works, but that was pretty stupid on her part to act that way and the cruise line owes an apology".  

FTR:  The rest of the week we saw people "bringing in friends", people in swimwear, people double and triple-fisting drinks on their way out (2 glasses of wine and getting unopened cans of soda to stuff in their bags) so the concierge clearly really doesn't care about these things. It is my opinion that something completely unrelated must have occurred and the concierge simply chose MIL as a punching bag on the spot.   

How would you have felt or what next step actions do you think appropriate?  I have a letter drafted to the C suite about this and contemplating if I send it or toss it.  

Clearly unprofessional and unacceptable! 👎

They should fire her!

#theroyaltreatment 🙄

• Like 1

The concierge clearly could have handled it better. 

In their defense every cruise they have people trying to sneak in to the DL.  They see this frequently and have probably learned that a subtle "you need to go" is met with a litany of excuses that end with them needing to deal with it as a firm and louder directive.  Dealing with this time and time again gets old for them.

That's no excuse for being rude right from the start and only escalating it from there.  Escalating their power should be a last resort, not a starting point.

I'd suggest an email to C&A.  crownandanchor@rccl.com

Keep it simple and point out an opportunity for a crew member to be better trained in handling a situation that doesn't prevent someone from wanting to book more cabins for the family on a different cruise line in the future.  

I've experienced bad DL concierge and bad CL concierge.  A bad CL concierge on Enchantment led to me to cancel 10 booked cruises and I let C&A know exactly why in an email. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Age has nothing to do with how anyone should be treated no matter who you are or by who you are. Like your experience and the OPs the behavior of the DLC was unacceptable and needed to be immediately reported to her/his boss. I would also have stopped by the C&A loyalty desk and spoke with the LA about the DLC. The DLC would also have been mentioned in our PCS. 

I agree it is un acceptable at ANY age. But, I was raised to respect my elders.😉 Although you are totally right in saying it is unacceptable to all!