Behind the Scenes Tour w/ Children

Savaann618

Just now, Savaann618 said:

Hello!  I'm considering taking advantage of my latitudes perk and doing the behind the scene tour of the Getaway.  Do they allow children on the tour?  Kids will be 11 and 9.  Thank You!

Not sure if they do or don't.  Not sure how interested children would find it.  It's a whole lot of functional info about how many meals the restaurant(s) prepare.....how they do laundry, etc.  

Space is limited, so I would ask the CruiseNext person (where you schedule the tour) if they can accommodate.

6 hours ago, Savaann618 said:

Hello!  I'm considering taking advantage of my latitudes perk and doing the behind the scene tour of the Getaway.  Do they allow children on the tour?  Kids will be 11 and 9.  Thank You!

My son did the tour as part of my latitudes perk and he was 12 I think.

We had a boy around 8 on our tour and he was bored to tears.  He had no interest in being there and was getting anxious.  There are lots of lectures in every area that some kids may not be interested in or have the patience to listen too.  Kids usually like hands on stuff but it depends on the person/child.  Its not all bridge and sea sights.  Its laundry room and trash collection too 😯

Edited by david_sobe

37 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

We had a boy around 8 on our tour and he was bored to tears.  He had no interest in being there and was getting anxious.  There are lots of lectures in every area that some kids may not be interested in or have the patience to listen too.  Kids usually like hands on stuff but it depends on the person/child.  Its not all bridge and sea sights.  Its laundry room and trash collection too 😯

Its not all bridge and sea sights - - -

Also Back Stage - and usually the Galley between two Main Dining Rooms and then the I95 deck corridor

of the ship and crew activity.

All the cruise-deck white spaces on the ships diagram - you will be travelling in some of those white spaces

to see the inner workings of the ship.

True the BST are nothing of the exterior of the ship - the bridge and sea views/sights.

Due to todays advanced security tours of the Bridge are only something of the past - alas no longer !

Tours of the Bridge still may be possible but only on limited group visit arranged between the Captain

Hotel Director and perhaps the Concierge - certainly not advertised or promoted. Having multi-cruise

Platinum Platinum + or Ambassador Latitudes Rewards would be useful to make the invite possible.

Navy officers maybe offered a courtesy visit - but again not advertised or promoted.

Some ships have a viewing room to see the Bridge operation.

24 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

Nope.  Absolutely not.

Rubbish. My son, now 7, has been on at least three of them. I have a great photo of him in the captain’s chair on the Star. I think that was when he was 4. Since then no bridge tour but there has not been a problem having him join. 

He found all of them fascinating. 

My experience - I’ve been on two BTS as Platinum, when hubby was not.  They wouldn’t allow hubby to join because they said the tour was for platinum members only.  So, there were no kids on either of my tours since kids don’t have status.  I’m guessing different ships have different rules since some have said kids can go????

1 hour ago, npater said:

So what areas of the ship do you actually see. How long does it take. Is it worth doing the tour. My husband might be interested but do you have to climb a lot of stairs as he had knee replacement a yr ago

Sign up for the Platinum BST as soon as possible upon boarding - check with the Cruise Next people.

Platinum BST take about an hour to an hour and a half.

Generally the tours are held on a sea day from 10am to end (time local to ship)

Areas visited but not in any given order and varies by ship:

Laundry facility

Back stage of theatre (no theatre rehearsals - but stage set-ups maybe in progress)

Galley/Kitchen area - usually between the two MDRs (scheduled off time between breakfast and lunch)

I95 - a lower deck corridor with crew activity - trash collection - crew eating/mess area (No Crew Cabins)

Other minor areas may be visited - BUT NO BRIDGE tours.

All the cruise-deck white spaces on the ships diagram - you will be travelling in some of those white spaces

to see the inner workings of the ship.

Steep non-standard gauge stairs with grated planks - sometimes crew elevators - tight condensed areas -

Review with the Cruise Next host as to suitability to take these tours.

Generally photos and videos of these areas are permitted but there maybe crew areas that are restricted

from these activities - you will be advised or if in doubt ask !

The cost for the Paid BST is around $80 - the Free Platinum tours are available for the Platinum member (only)

but exceptions are made for cabin mates other guests varies by ship and availability -

check with the Next Cruise people that host the tours for adding non-Platinum guests.

The tours are limited to anywhere from 16-25 guests depending on the working room available.

The question of the Paid BST and Free Platinum tours being different ?

I feel that there is no difference talking with family who took the Paid one and what was visited.

Highly recommend taking the tour if offered.

You are not obligated to purchase any Next Cruise Certificates - but there maybe elbow twisting of sorts ! LOL !

8 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

My experience - I’ve been on two BTS as Platinum, when hubby was not.  They wouldn’t allow hubby to join because they said the tour was for platinum members only.  So, there were no kids on either of my tours since kids don’t have status.  I’m guessing different ships have different rules since some have said kids can go????

Perhaps. Both parents platinum and I simply asked. Not a problem at all. I would accept if they said no but they were totally fine with it.