Azamara: Open Passage Booking while onboard X

Stateroom_Sailor

We've booked an Open Passage on Azamara while onboard Celebrity Eclipse, which I was told is rarely requested, or known about.  I thought I would share our findings, and answer any questions you may have.  This is likely most ideal for someone who wants to try Azamara, but is not sure when, or is waiting for an itinerary to roll back around, or a last minute deal. 

You will get 4 - 10% off your cruise fare, based on your loyalty level with X.  You will also get $200 - $300 OBC, for that future sailing.  These bookings transfer to your TA, and combine with any Azamara promos that are taking place at the time of selection.  The current deposit is $275 pp, which is non-refundable, yet never expires.  Once a selection is made, no changes to the ship and sail date are allowed.  Confirmed Bookings give the same incentives, though you can change the ship and sail date once (according to the Future Cruise Office).

Le Club Voyage and Captain's Club points match and combine.

2 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We've booked an Open Passage on Azamara while onboard Celebrity Eclipse, which I was told is rarely requested, or known about.  I thought I would share our findings, and answer any questions you may have.  This is likely most ideal for someone who wants to try Azamara, but is not sure when, or is waiting for an itinerary to roll back around, or a last minute deal. 

You will get 4 - 10% off your cruise fare, based on your loyalty level with X.  You will also get $200 - $300 OBC, for that future sailing.  These bookings transfer to your TA, and combine with any Azamara promos that are taking place at the time of selection.  The current deposit is $275 pp, which is non-refundable, yet never expires.  Once a selection is made, no changes to the ship and sail date are allowed.  Confirmed Bookings give the same incentives, though you can change the ship and sail date once (according to the Future Cruise Office).

Le Club Voyage and Captain's Club points match and combine.

I have not heard of this. Did you know if it, or was it suggested to you by someone on the ship or other source?

- Joel

26 minutes ago, cl.klink said:

I have not heard of this. Did you know if it, or was it suggested to you by someone on the ship or other source?

- Joel

I did some research on the website, details below.  I also questioned the Azamara forum before sailing, got a confirmation directly from an Azamara representative.

*TERMS & CONDITIONS: “Onboard Booking Offer” is a percent saving based on Le Club Voyage (LCV) loyalty level or first-time Azamara voyage. Adventurer guests 4%, Explorer 5%, Discoverer 6%, Discoverer 7%, Discoverer Platinum 10% for each qualifying booking made onboard Azamara Club Cruises while offer is available. First-time Azamara guests will receive 3% savings. Under the Confirmed Booking offer, guests will receive a US$200 onboard credit (OBC) per stateroom, which will be applied to the future cruise.

OPEN BOOKINGS: Open bookings have no expiration date, do not guarantee stateroom, voyage or cruise price. Once a ship and sail date are selected and booking details finalized, no changes may be made to the ship or sail date. A non-refundable deposit equal to 50% of amount normally required must be paid in your country of residence, per person, and full name for each guest will be required at time of booking.

4 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I did some research on the website, details below.  I also questioned the Azamara forum before sailing, got a confirmation directly from an Azamara representative.

*TERMS & CONDITIONS: “Onboard Booking Offer” is a percent saving based on Le Club Voyage (LCV) loyalty level or first-time Azamara voyage. Adventurer guests 4%, Explorer 5%, Discoverer 6%, Discoverer 7%, Discoverer Platinum 10% for each qualifying booking made onboard Azamara Club Cruises while offer is available. First-time Azamara guests will receive 3% savings. Under the Confirmed Booking offer, guests will receive a US$200 onboard credit (OBC) per stateroom, which will be applied to the future cruise.

OPEN BOOKINGS: Open bookings have no expiration date, do not guarantee stateroom, voyage or cruise price. Once a ship and sail date are selected and booking details finalized, no changes may be made to the ship or sail date. A non-refundable deposit equal to 50% of amount normally required must be paid in your country of residence, per person, and full name for each guest will be required at time of booking.

Thanks for posting the information. Do you you know if Azamara honour price drops? 

3 hours ago, villauk said:

Thanks for posting the information. Do you you know if Azamara honour price drops? 

Good Question.  The answer is unfortunately no, not without losing your deposit, at least for the UK.  Of course if the cruise drops by more then your deposit amount, it would be advantageous to cancel the cruise (prior to final payment), and re-book under the new rate.  A £1500 drop in price, parting with the £500 deposit would still put you £1000 ahead. 

If you confirm a specific cruise onboard, you will have once chance to price adjust.

Since we're chasing the very bottom of Azamara's pricing per day, and have noted their transpacific rates after final payment, I don't think this will be a problem.  Beyond that, I will probably watch for similar patters, or move to confirmed bookings, with a chance to adjust.

14 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Good Question.  The answer is unfortunately no, not without losing your deposit, at least for the UK.  Of course if the cruise drops by more then your deposit amount, it would be advantageous to cancel the cruise (prior to final payment), and re-book under the new rate.  A £1500 drop in price, parting with the £500 deposit would still put you £1000 ahead. 

If you confirm a specific cruise onboard, you will have once chance to price adjust.

Since we're chasing the very bottom of Azamara's pricing per day, and have noted their transpacific rates after final payment, I don't think this will be a problem.  Beyond that, I will probably watch for similar patters, or move to confirmed bookings, with a chance to adjust.

I book using a US TA so wondered if they honoured price drops on a US booking i.e. price adjust before FP? So, according to the above, they do on one occasion? I noticed a good deal on an Azamara cruise later in the year, not too far off X’s pricing for a similar itinerary and it obviously included grats, certain drinks etc.

1 hour ago, villauk said:

I book using a US TA so wondered if they honoured price drops on a US booking i.e. price adjust before FP? So, according to the above, they do on one occasion? I noticed a good deal on an Azamara cruise later in the year, not too far off X’s pricing for a similar itinerary and it obviously included grats, certain drinks etc.

I am going on my first Azamara cruise this summer, and I was able to get a price drop before final payment. I booked directly through Azamara. I saved $450, so I was pleased. 

2 hours ago, Mrs.Dukes said:

I am going on my first Azamara cruise this summer, and I was able to get a price drop before final payment. I booked directly through Azamara. I saved $450, so I was pleased. 

Thanks for that information; you’ve got a nice price drop. I’m presuming it would be the same if you booked through a TA then?

We were burned once using an Open Passages on X (for X sailings) because each time we tried using it for the promised benefits it was not combinable with a current promotion we were booking. X wouldn't even apply the Open Passages dollar for dollar with no benefits. We tried for 5 years and each time were denied. Our TA (US based) finally got X to refund it. Although I realize that OP is talking about booking Azamara while on board X, I'd advise caution booking Open Passages with any of the Royal Caribbean owned/operated brands. Sorry if I'm being a party pooper!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

We were burned once using an Open Passages on X (for X sailings) because each time we tried using it for the promised benefits it was not combinable with a current promotion we were booking. X wouldn't even apply the Open Passages dollar for dollar with no benefits. We tried for 5 years and each time were denied. Our TA (US based) finally got X to refund it. Although I realize that OP is talking about booking Azamara while on board X, I'd advise caution booking Open Passages with any of the Royal Caribbean owned/operated brands. Sorry if I'm being a party pooper!

The more information the better...I have also heard negatives about this type of booking, but if it works for the poster, that is all that matters!  I was just looking at a cruise in Africa that some friends are doing, but still am unsure about booking for 2021...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

The more information the better...I have also heard negatives about this type of booking, but if it works for the poster, that is all that matters!  I was just looking at a cruise in Africa that some friends are doing, but still am unsure about booking for 2021...

I am starting a thread on the Amazara forum, hopefully those with more experience can answer the specifics.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2657585-azamara-newbie-pricing-questions/?tab=comments#comment-57333034

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

There looks to be some nice itineraries on Azamara.

Until our last voyage we have always booked open passage bookings while on Celebrity.   We have never had a problem using it to book a cruise, the last was a transatlantic and the prior was an Australian New Zealand cruise.   We have recently cruised on Azamara and really enjoyed it.   The on board credit is difficult to use since almost everything is included.   If you are not in a suite, the 

Specialty Restaurants are $30, so much less expensive than Celebrity.  Gratuities, and most drinks are included.    They have a free “do it yourself” laundry but also offer specials on bags of laundry.   The laundry comes back pressed.    You will enjoy the line.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Until our last voyage we have always booked open passage bookings while on Celebrity.   We have never had a problem using it to book a cruise, the last was a transatlantic and the prior was an Australian New Zealand cruise.   We have recently cruised on Azamara and really enjoyed it.   The on board credit is difficult to use since almost everything is included.   If you are not in a suite, the 

Specialty Restaurants are $30, so much less expensive than Celebrity.  Gratuities, and most drinks are included.    They have a free “do it yourself” laundry but also offer specials on bags of laundry.   The laundry comes back pressed.    You will enjoy the line.

Interesting.  I figure our OBC can go towards excursions, if nothing else.

Azamara's Chief Blogging Officer just responded on the other forum.

1.  Open Passage Bookings are locked once selected.

2.  There shouldn't be any problems on Azamara using these certificates.

3.  No disadvantage to using a TA.

4.  New sailings just got released today, through 1Q 2020.

The line seems very active here on CC, and genuinely cares about customer relations.  I doubt they would mislead us and have the negative PR.  Though if the cruise you want to book is available, I would book it directly over booking a certificate.  They both have the same perks, but you can make one change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1