Comfortable outdoor seating on Explorer?

jabbawocky

We are considering a cruise on Splendor next year and just wondering if anyone that has been on Explorer which has a similar looking deck plan with the infinity pool replacing the Horizon lounge which had outdoor comfy seating (as on Voyager and Mariner) can tell me is there any comfortable lounge seating outside the Meridan lounge or anywhere else to enjoy a drink with a group of friends after dinner as the ship is sailing along? The pool deck wouldn’t be quite the same as the back of the boat was on Voyager-one of our favourite spots after dinner. 

40 minutes ago, jabbawocky said:

We are considering a cruise on Splendor next year and just wondering if anyone that has been on Explorer which has a similar looking deck plan with the infinity pool replacing the Horizon lounge which had outdoor comfy seating (as on Voyager and Mariner) can tell me is there any comfortable lounge seating outside the Meridan lounge or anywhere else to enjoy a drink with a group of friends after dinner as the ship is sailing along? The pool deck wouldn’t be quite the same as the back of the boat was on Voyager-one of our favourite spots after dinner. 

We were just on the Explorer again last month and the Meridian Lounge is strictly an inside area.  We can't recall any outside places (other than the pool deck) that serve drinks.  The Coffee Connection on the Splendor supposedly will have outside seating, though it may well not serve cocktails.

@jabbawocky,

No, there is not a seating area on Explorer equivalent to the outside area to the rear of the Horizon Lounge on Mariner & Voyager or to the rear of Galileo's on Navigator.

Explorer is an excellent and spacious ship but, unfortunately, some of the popular features on Regent's previous ships were not transferred to the new design.

The outside area proposed for Coffee Connection on Splendor is a welcome addition, but will probably not provide the relaxed lounge seating to which you refer.

In my opinion this is a glaring omission on Explorer and Splendor.  On Explorer we really missed the rear lounge and outside seating.  I feel too much prime real estate was given to the spa where a rear lounge and seating area could have been. 

12 hours ago, jabbawocky said:

Might have to go to Seabourn for a very comfortable aft seating outside

Totally agree Explorer has this missing. In many ways it is a great ship , in others little details are missing. The theatre is one example where the upper tied seats are useless as they have no sight lines to the stage. The other Regent ships have better seating areas outside and thru theatre is better designed. Compass rose restaurant on Explorer is also very noisy in the main area, best seats are in the quieter back areas. Little things like this must be sorted out on Splendour when she is launched. Agree too much space is taken up by the spa especially the long run in, and on our trip the back area around the infinity pool was very underused.

Well, I guess that those of you that do not like Explorer will feel the same about "Splendor
since, as said above, the only real change in terms of outdoor seating (in addition to La Veranda and the Pool Grill) will be the Coffee Connection.

My DH loves the extra spas/saunas, etc. that is part of the spa.  The workout areas are also aft and are considerably larger than on the other ships.  

Isn't it wonderful that Regent has choices within their own fleet?  For those of us that could care less about outdoor areas (except for the balcony), Explorer and "Splendor" will work perfectly.  For those who don't care about smaller suites but have lots of public spaces - both indoor and outdoor, Mariner is likely a good choice.  Voyager is great for larger lower category suites (as is Navigator which is also "cozy") and they both have an aft lounge (which I dislike as it gets so hot from all of the windows in that lounge)

Rather than concentrating on what Explorer does not have, I look at what it has that other ships do not:

-  Fabulous Sunday brunches on sea days

-  Pacific Rim

-  Large bathrooms with two sinks and tons of storage

-  Larger balconies

-  Two specialty restaurants (Chartreuse and P7) open for lunch

-  French press coffee

-  As mentioned above, largest/best saunas and gym of the fleet.

P.S.  "Splendor's" theater will be different.  I hear that even Regent was upset with how the theater turned out.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Rather than concentrating on what Explorer does not have ...............

Sorry, I thought this topic was all about something that is missing from Explorer i.e. comfortable outdoor seating away from the Pool Deck

53 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

P.S.  "Splendor's" theater will be different.  I hear that even Regent was upset with how the theater turned out.

It is good to hear that there will be an improved theatre auditorium on Splendor.

No one could defend the design of the theatre on Explorer.

(Apologies for going off-topic

2 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Sorry, I thought this topic was all about something that is missing from Explorer i.e. comfortable outdoor seating away from the Pool Deck

It is good to hear that there will be an improved theatre auditorium on Splendor.

No one could defend the design of the theatre on Explorer.

(Apologies for going off-topic

You did not go off topic - other posters brought up the theater, spa, etc.  At least we are still discussing Explorer and I wanted to bring up the lovely outside seating in La Veranda/Sette Mari!

The op question was about rear outdoor seating area.  Now they have this information.  It does not exist on Explorer or Splendor except in a dining area.  Now they can decide if that is a deal breaker for them. 

Edited by rcandkc
Added a few words.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

I wanted to bring up the lovely outside seating in La Veranda/Sette Mari!

I agree that the dining area at the rear of La Veranda, being larger on Explorer than the other Regent ships, is a very good feature.

• Like 1

Interesting, I've been on Voyager and Mariner, more than once. Obviously, must have not have used those outside areas enough as they did not leave an indelible mark in my memory! 

My next cruise is on Navigator, which I havent cruised since 2005, yikes! We'll see how she compares to Explorer! :)

12 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

You can always sit on your balcony and order from room service...  or if in PH or higher get your Butler to make your drinks!

We will be travelling with some other couples so our balcony won’t be big enough. It’s a deal breaker for the guys, not so much for me. 

I think we will have to pick Voyager over Splendor in the Med next year. 

8 hours ago, jabbawocky said:

We will be travelling with some other couples so our balcony won’t be big enough. It’s a deal breaker for the guys, not so much for me. 

I think we will have to pick Voyager over Splendor in the Med next year. 

In my opinion, the outside areas on Voyager are not large.  And, unless something has changed, the outside area of the aft lounge (Horizons) is 1/2 smoking (port side I believe).  The outside dining area (outside of La Veranda/Sette Mari) is Explorer (and Splendor) are larger than any of the other ships.

Since I mentioned smoking, on Explorer and Splendor, the only outside smoking area is in an enclosed glass area on the pool deck.