Emerald vs Sapphire ?

FiggyWig

Hi Peeps

Have previously cruised other lines but am a bit of a novice with Princess having only sailed once on Sapphire last year. But I enjoyed the whole Princess vibe so have booked for this summer 14 days on Emerald. My question is are there any obvious differences between the 2 ? I think if I have read correctly they are different classes but just wondered if you experienced people out there could enlighten me with any great differences, or hints, or tips.

Thanks all

Fig

The Emerald has a narrower promanade deck.

While the Sapphire has a covered pool the emerald does not. This is where MUTS is set up.

It still has two large pools.

If you are into table tennis they are outside on the Emerald in the sun and wind.

The Emerald has Share up the top with a Jazz room next to it.

These are the changes that I can remember, I'm sure other people will add to these.

We really enjoyed our NZ cruise on the Emerald even though it rained a lot of the time (due to a cyclone up in Fiji) and ports were cancelled.

I don't know if you can on the Sapphire but you can order your coffee during the day on the Emerald in the wheelhousse bar and drink it there. This helped a lot with seating in the atrium.

DSC00226.JPG

DSC00227.JPG

20170403_180145.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FiggyWig said:

Hi Peeps

Have previously cruised other lines but am a bit of a novice with Princess having only sailed once on Sapphire last year. But I enjoyed the whole Princess vibe so have booked for this summer 14 days on Emerald. My question is are there any obvious differences between the 2 ? I think if I have read correctly they are different classes but just wondered if you experienced people out there could enlighten me with any great differences, or hints, or tips.

Thanks all

Fig

Emerald has a Riviera deck and 500 more passengers. Sapphire does not.

Also as stated Emerald has the narrower Promenade deck.

Sailed 28 days on Emerald and loved it. Haven't sailed Sapphire yet but we're booked for October. Love the wide Promenade decks on some Princess ships and it appears that the Sapphire has that feature. We liked Adagio on Emerald - very quiet during the day and sometimes good music in the evening.  I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your cruise and I think you will be very happy.

I wouldn’t turn down a cruise on Emerald, but I must confess that Sapphire is my favorite Princess ship. It has everything I want in terms of venues and nothing I don’t (extra people). Love them both but love Sapphire just a bit more. 

• Like 2

They are actually the "same class" of ship except one ship the Emerald Princess has an extra deck full of passengers with no extra public space. The biggest difference is the congestion on Emerald Princess and lack of congestion on the Sapphire Princess.

You will also find a lot of dead ends on Emerald Princess and areas that are blocked of which is quite bizarre. One example is the Skywalkers on Sapphire you can walk out the back doors and have access to the entire balcony at the back of the nightclub which is good fore viewing and fresh air. On the Emerald Princess these doors are blocked and it is labelled as an emergency exit only. There is a part railing and deck on the back of Skywalkers on Emerald but it is completely barricaded off for some unknown reason. I say this is bizarre as there is no logical explanation as they share the same aft design.

Like the above there are just other minor niggling issues that made Emerald more blocked off and closed than Sapphire Princess. The ships are the same width but the outside promenade area on Sapphire has more width and Emerald has more width inside. Just a minor difference and probably no big drama.

Personally I prefer the Sapphire Princess over Emerald Princess any day.

• Like 1

My vote is for sapphire with the 4 anytime dining rooms each with their own unique theme, larger promenade, and really great terraced pool area.

On an informal poll on this site, the Sapphire is ranked 3rd best behind Coral and Regal

https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ports/poll-favorite-ship

I believe the lower hull of the sapphire is 5 feet wider (not at bridge wings), which is why the promenade is wider.  The sapphire has a slight increase in overall gross tonnage (interior volume), partially due to the extra width (5 feet x 950+ feet x 18 decks) as well as the covered pool.

https://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Emerald-Princess-Fact-Sheet.html

https://www.princess.com/news/backgrounders_and_fact_sheets/factsheet/Sapphire-Princess-Fact-Sheet.html

You can't go wrong with either, but I would choose the sapphire over the Emerald for most itineraries.

Edited by cruisingrob21

What an informative lot you are. Thank you 😊  Keep the comments coming. 

I chose Emerald purely because of the great Med itinerary... and that my other Princess experience was a good one.  Other than the promenade what is rest of the open deck space like ?  We have 4 sea days and will be on board end July - early Aug so hopefully perfect sun-bathing weather, but I'm guessing like all ships, the pool areas are heaving with people so are there many other 'outside' spaces...not a million miles away from a bar ? 😉

There is an area up the top at the back of the ship for lawn games such as mini golf, bowls and croquet.

I have included some other shots to show you the outside areas. Some of these would be the same as the Sapphire.

The last two are in the Sanctuary.

DSC00218.JPG

DSC00214.JPG

DSC00215.JPG

DSC00252.JPG

DSC02664.JPG

DSC02669.JPG

DSC02743.JPG

DSC02744.JPG

2 hours ago, FiggyWig said:

Is the Sanctuary open to all, or just those in Suites ?

10 minutes ago, johnsuttoncoldfield said:

Open to all - albeit there is a cost - if you are on a Med cruise it is probably wise to book your required days on embarkation day as it can get booked fairly quickly.

The cost for single days is $40 per person or you can reserve half days (8 am to 12:30 pm or 1 pm to 5:30 pm are usually the hours) for $20 per person per half day.  As John recommended, go to the Sanctuary immediately upon boarding to pick your lounger(s) and make your payment.  The sea days - especially in the Med in the summer - are most likely to sell out.

• 2 years later...
20 hours ago, CoolGal88 said:

Does the Emerald Have Share or Sabatini's or Both??

46 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Emerald Princess has Share on Deck 16 - Sun Deck. There is no Sabatini's.

But SHARE is being replaced by Sabatini's and perhaps we will hear already done on the current post-Covid Inaugural voyage.

I don't patronize either so it makes no difference to me. Whatever they have it will be across from Adagio. That's a great venue. Quiet in the day and calm in the evening. We once caught a great jazz gig there in the evening. Not well attended but we loved it.