Le Petit Chef

Fixit2010

Another humorous note

Back in the day, in the UK there use to be a chain of cheap motorway and petrol station "restaurants" called The Little Chef.  Now when I say restaurant, I mean somewhere you can get eggs/beans on toast, all day breakfast, poorly cooked burgers and some stale cakes with your tea.  (I am not sure if people outside the UK will get this).

It strikes me as funny that Celebrity would name one of their premier and dare I say impressive restaurants with a very similar name.  I wonder if the person or team back at Celebrity HQ, Miami, were aware of this or if they have even googled The Little Chef, UK, when they came up with the name, but to me it conjurers up the memory of the 80s. 

It just makes me chuckle when I hear that.  What's next?  Le 'Appy Eater? 

Edited by Fixit2010
additional info
  • Haha 1

On 4/25/2019 at 10:48 AM, Fixit2010 said:

Another humorous note

Back in the day, in the UK there use to be a chain of cheap motorway and petrol station "restaurants" called The Little Chef.  Now when I say restaurant, I mean somewhere you can get eggs/beans on toast, all day breakfast, poorly cooked burgers and some stale cakes with your tea.  (I am not sure if people outside the UK will get this).

It strikes me as funny that Celebrity would name one of their premier and dare I say impressive restaurants with a very similar name.  I wonder if the person or team back at Celebrity HQ, Miami, were aware of this or if they have even googled The Little Chef, UK, when they came up with the name, but to me it conjurers up the memory of the 80s. 

It just makes me chuckle when I hear that.  What's next?  Le 'Appy Eater? 

This was posted when X first released what the name of the new restaurant was to be called. A few pax posted their views of a Little Chef 🙊.

Gosh, I remember those Little Chefs....

They really were truly awful! I remember one long journey where our dining options were a Little Chef or a packet of wine gums...we chose the wine gums!

• Like 1

Skullmaping is the company that is responsible for the idea of Le Petit Chef as a entertaining dining experience.  https://skullmapping.com/project/le-petit-chef/

Celebrity has retained the name Qsine ... Le Petit Chef at Qsine or Le Petit Chef and Friends at Qsine as dining options.

I saw Le Petit Chef on a tv program several years ago....the location was at a restaurant in France with multiple diners.. It intrigued me as it was entertaining and the diners seemed to really enjoy it.  They probably were actors!  Regardless I told my husband that I really wanted to see it in person.

The first time I saw it on Celebrity was on the first night of a 2018 Pacific Coastal from San Diego to Vancouver.  We were doing a B2B Panama Canal transit when Le Petit Chef was advertised and I asked the Maitre d' to reserve us a table for the first night on the following cruise.  We had so much fun but I also questioned why would I go back.  There is another option on Celebrity now which includes the "friends".  We saw that one recently but I will be hard pressed to go to another Le Petit Chef.  It is fun entertainment for sure but the novelty did wear off for me.  Also Celebrity offered alternative food options for those who did not want to eat the meat or seafood or whatever.  You still saw the same animation as everyone else but you were served different food.

Le Petit Chef was offered the first half of the cruise and the balance was Le Petit Chef and Friends.  There are two set times for dining.  It is expensive but the first cruise night dining discount offer was available.

7 hours ago, chemmo said:

Gosh, I remember those Little Chefs....

They really were truly awful! I remember one long journey where our dining options were a Little Chef or a packet of wine gums...we chose the wine gums!

Oh dear.  Hangs head in shame.  It was always a treat from to go to the Little Chef after shopping in Watford with mum and dad.  Now I know why they didn’t share my enthusiasm 👨‍🍳. Mind you, I used to think that the Wimpey Bar was pretty cool too. Lol

Phil

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 1:14 PM, gator489 said:

Le Petit Chef was offered the first half of the cruise and the balance was Le Petit Chef and Friends.  There are two set times for dining.  It is expensive but the first cruise night dining discount offer was available.

What is the difference for "with Friends"?  different menu, different animation?

Le Petit Chef and Friends involves 4 chefs in a cook off.  There is an Italian, a French, a Spanish and a Japanese chef who agree to a competition with the dinner guests being the judges.  They each prepare a course and at the end, you clap for the course that you liked most.  It was fun with a bit more of a variety of foods than the first Le Petit Chef we were at.

• 2 weeks later...

saw the original le Petit  on Reflection and was blown away with the coolness. then we saw the newer version on Edge with 4

chefs all competing and it was even better! hopefully newer versions are coming. It's a highlight.

• Thanks 1

We went twice on our recent Eclipse cruise and enjoyed the animation mixed with dinner, it's a little pricey($55.00) ea. but was fun.I noticed one of the waiters working the computer when dinner was over and the applause was for the Itialian chef. My SO had vegan meals prepared each time and she said both were very good. I asked which came first the menu or the  animation and never got an answer.

J.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, little britain said:

What is the difference between LPC and LPC at Qsine?

Am guessing that one is at Qsine and one isn't - the one on Edge is (I think) in the Bistro ------ I think :-)

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Am guessing that one is at Qsine and one isn't - the one on Edge is (I think) in the Bistro ------ I think 🙂

On Equinox it is “LPC at Qsine”.... only there isn’t a  Qsine!!! I had hoped it was Qsine most of the time and then LPC for  one or 2 days a week. Alas no!

Edited by little britain

2 hours ago, little britain said:

On Equinox it is “LPC at Qsine”.... only there isn’t a  Qsine!!! I had hoped it was Qsine most of the time and then LPC for  one or 2 days a week. Alas no!

Same thing on our recent cruise on Reflection.  It was LPC every night.  They were offering discounts many nights.

5 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Same thing on our recent cruise on Reflection.  It was LPC every night.  They were offering discounts many nights.

That is what I am hoping... I think it is $55 which for steak and chips is a bit toppy!  What was the discounted ball park price. 

these LPC experiences are amazing technology. It's a real added bonus to have this opportunity on board our ship. My friends saw this in London and it was 189/pp so we are getting a bargain in comparison - we've seen 2 versions, loved them both! Can't wait till next time with our group. Thanks Celebrity for the opportunity!