Elevator usage by ADA persons

19 minutes ago, twangster said:

Sadly happens to all of us but it isn't the norm.  Rude people are everywhere.

Once in a while an elevator will open closer to someone who just got there while I have been waiting for several minutes.  They squeeze into the now packed elevator leaving me to wait for another ride.  It doesn't happen often but when it does its usually people older than me who have their own sense of entitlement.  

Is it a problem?  Sure.  Is it worth developing a solution?  Not really. 

Short of handing out numbers like at a meat counter in a deli we have to rely on fellow members of society doing the right thing and there are a small portion of them that are selfish and entitled.

Yep, it does happen and like you, I don't see a reason to develop a solution as it won't change anything. 

However, in my opinion, and experience, it is the norm when cruising and see it with all ages - teens and up but rarely the much older folks.. And if its young kids they are just following in their parents footsteps. But since it is a part of cruising and our way of getting from point A to B, I just deal with it and move on. 

Rude people are everywhere and it just keeps getting worse and worse but it's just how it is. As long as I am not stooping to their level, all is good.

We all have different experiences and opinions which is fine and I respect that while sharing mine.. 🙂 

On 5/5/2019 at 10:08 AM, twangster said:

No lawyer but not sure it's legal to brand people with a disability by marking their seapass card.  

Not a lawyer either but doubt it would be illegal.  Disabled person placards are common on cars.  Don't see why a sticker can't be put on a sea pass card.   What exactly having the sticker would do for someone is the question I suppose.   I sure don't have an answer.   

On 5/6/2019 at 4:41 PM, James4me said:

Geez!  Are the elevators always this crowded?

OK, I kind of was thinking the same thing.  I just got back from a recent greek island cruise.   This was not a mega ship.  Over the nine days I can only remember one time we encountered a full elevator.  To be sure, I can understand there are times when full elevators should be expected such as after muster drill or after a show lets out.  If that happens, a short wait and things will clear up.  

I can understand the frustration for folks with mobility issues and a cruise ship may have a larger population of folks with these issues.  I have not fully thought this through but guess I'm wondering if this problem can be at least partially remedied by more carefully selecting the cruise ship, cabin location, time of year, and perhaps itinerary.  For example, we avoid mega ships if possible because we find them too crowded.  

Anyway, I am kinda on the fence but kind of lean toward supporting a "disabled priority" elevator located midship for folks in wheelchairs.   If it has room use it.  If someone is in a wheelchair, give them first dibs. Most will have the manners needed for something like this to work just fine.  Same as giving up a seat on the bus. 

PS: I was on a Paris metro line a few days ago and a young woman offered her seat to me.  I thanked her and declined, but boy it sure made me feel my age.  Haha

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Anyway, I am kinda on the fence but kind of lean toward supporting a "disabled priority" elevator located midship for folks in wheelchairs.   If it has room use it.  If someone is in a wheelchair, give them first dibs. Most will have the manners needed for something like this to work just fine.  Same as giving up a seat on the bus. 

Royal Caribbean does not have midship elevators on their ships.

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Royal Caribbean does not have midship elevators on their ships.

I was just on Jewel and could swear the centrum elevators were midship.  If I'm incorrect, sorry, but the concept of a disabled priority elevator might still work.   Anyway, not an easy problem to answer for sure.   

4 minutes ago, Eriksgarden said:

I never witnessed people with disabilities forced to wait longer or denied.  In fact, I have seen lots of people go out of their way to accommodate and include.  Not all disabilities are noticeable.

So you’ve been at every elevator every time it operates on every ship to monitor what occurs? That’s a little far fetch to say because you weren’t w us on our cruises where we HAVE BEEN DENIED,  WAIT LONGER, ETC. There are rude ppl out there that will cut in front of u as well filling up elevator causing one to wait longer! Elevators also fill up to where u have to wait for one that has room to get on. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ldubs said:

OK, I kind of was thinking the same thing.  I just got back from a recent greek island cruise.   This was not a mega ship.  Over the nine days I can only remember one time we encountered a full elevator.  To be sure, I can understand there are times when full elevators should be expected such as after muster drill or after a show lets out.  If that happens, a short wait and things will clear up.  

I can understand the frustration for folks with mobility issues and a cruise ship may have a larger population of folks with these issues.  I have not fully thought this through but guess I'm wondering if this problem can be at least partially remedied by more carefully selecting the cruise ship, cabin location, time of year, and perhaps itinerary.  For example, we avoid mega ships if possible because we find them too crowded.  

PS: I was on a Paris metro line a few days ago and a young woman offered her seat to me.  I thanked her and declined, but boy it sure made me feel my age.  Haha

Time is too precious we cruise to see other places so we pick our cruises by itinerary, try to avoid tender ports, and need to avoid flying as much as possible so we can’t select our cruise by ship. The ship is on our mode for transportation to all these places. Cabin location has nothing to do w elevator loads because sometimes we go to other elevators for less crowds which means further from cabin but that’s ok. We choose our cabin based on our needs which u have very few to select from. We also spend a lot of time in our cabin so comfort in cabin is important to. Usually we have no more than 2 sometimes up to 4 cabins to select from so cant be picky. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 1:26 PM, biomedbob said:

When people are trying to get out when others are rushing in...."Let us out" at a reasonable level usually works.

We rarely have that problem as ppl see the w/c and move out of way so we can get off. I never understand though why ppl stand practically up against the elevator doors in front of them waiting - do they think no one will be exiting. 

11 minutes ago, TravelBug2A said:

We rarely have that problem as ppl see the w/c and move out of way so we can get off. I never understand though why ppl stand practically up against the elevator doors in front of them waiting - do they think no one will be exiting. 

Their use to riding the subway. 

Edited by davekathy

4 minutes ago, TravelBug2A said:

Time is too precious we cruise to see other places so we pick our cruises by itinerary, try to avoid tender ports, and need to avoid flying as much as possible so we can’t select our cruise by ship. The ship is on our mode for transportation to all these places. Cabin location has nothing to do w elevator loads because sometimes we go to other elevators for less crowds which means further from cabin but that’s ok. We choose our cabin based on our needs which u have very few to select from. We also spend a lot of time in our cabin so comfort in cabin is important to. Usually we have no more than 2 sometimes up to 4 cabins to select from so cant be picky. 🙂 

Yeah, good points.  I was just thinking out loud.  Doesn't sound like a viable option.   

I do have a question for the sake of discussion (and understand I'm ignorant of your cabin options).  Would selecting a cabin on the same deck as say the main dining room and theater be a better location because it would avoid the need for an elevator to those places?  If so, are they available?  

7 minutes ago, TravelBug2A said:

I find that some folks do the same thing inside a relatively empty elevator, making people squeeze by them to get to the open space at the rear.  Don't understand what goes through some folk's minds.  There must be some kind of DNA sequence causing this behavior. 😀 

55 minutes ago, TravelBug2A said:

So you’ve been at every elevator every time it operates on every ship to monitor what occurs? That’s a little far fetch to say because you weren’t w us on our cruises where we HAVE BEEN DENIED,  WAIT LONGER, ETC. There are rude ppl out there that will cut in front of u as well filling up elevator causing one to wait longer! Elevators also fill up to where u have to wait for one that has room to get on. 

You might want to take a deep breath and read the person's message again, and then read your message.  

You're coming across VERY abruptly, and the post you're replying to doesn't warrant that type of response.  They simply said they've never witnessed it themselves, but never said that it has never ever happened in the history of the world.  

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I find that some folks do the same thing inside a relatively empty elevator, making people squeeze by them to get to the open space at the rear.  Don't understand what goes through some folk's minds.  There must be some kind of DNA sequence causing this behavior. 😀 

Yes, we have had to ask people to please move back to fill up the empty space so we can get on. 

53 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Yeah, good points.  I was just thinking out loud.  Doesn't sound like a viable option.   

I do have a question for the sake of discussion (and understand I'm ignorant of your cabin options).  Would selecting a cabin on the same deck as say the main dining room and theater be a better location because it would avoid the need for an elevator to those places?  If so, are they available?  

A great suggestion and hopefully it will help someone that would actually benefit from. For us, that wouldn't solve any elevator issue. We enjoy going to different places on the ships. With very little for us to do on the ship we enjoy walking the decks and exploring so it would not make any difference. In my experience, I see most cabins only available on decks 7 and 8 (I believe). We only go once a day to the main dining room if even that and theater maybe only once the entire cruise so it wouldn't eliminate the use of the elevator. But if you have seen my other comments on this you would see that the elevator issue is a part of cruising so we don't mind the issue. More important things to worry about in life. 🙂 Thank you though.. 

3 minutes ago, TravelBug2A said:

A great suggestion and hopefully it will help someone that would actually benefit from. For us, that wouldn't solve any elevator issue. We enjoy going to different places on the ships. With very little for us to do on the ship we enjoy walking the decks and exploring so it would not make any difference. In my experience, I see most cabins only available on decks 7 and 8 (I believe). We only go once a day to the main dining room if even that and theater maybe only once the entire cruise so it wouldn't eliminate the use of the elevator. But if you have seen my other comments on this you would see that the elevator issue is a part of cruising so we don't mind the issue. More important things to worry about in life. 🙂 Thank you though.. 

Have you ever actually cruised Royal Caribbean?  You mentioned before that there are three elevator banks when there are only two.  Accessible cabins on are many decks.  What ship have you sailed?

Here is a link that will give you information for Royal Caribbean.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/accessible-staterooms

You can further click to see all accessible cabins by ship, including other information about those cabins.

7 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Have you ever actually cruised Royal Caribbean?  You mentioned before that there are three elevator banks when there are only two.  Accessible cabins on are many decks.  What ship have you sailed?

Here is a link that will give you information for Royal Caribbean.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/accessible-staterooms

You can further click to see all accessible cabins by ship, including other information about those cabins.

WOW!

YES and I am ONLY stating what my experience is as that is all I can. I will NOT assume anything as I only like to state facts. I am sorry but that is just how I am. I am ONLY stating what my experience has been when booking and what options we have had available to us for what we need and want. That is all I can give. I only speak of my experience. 

I am quite familiar with RC but thank you anyway for assuming that I am NOT and providing the link. Hopefully, someone else can benefit from it. 

5 minutes ago, TravelBug2A said:

WOW!

YES and I am ONLY stating what my experience is as that is all I can. I will NOT assume anything as I only like to state facts. I am sorry but that is just how I am. I am ONLY stating what my experience has been when booking and what options we have had available to us for what we need and want. That is all I can give. I only speak of my experience. 

I am quite familiar with RC but thank you anyway for assuming that I am NOT and providing the link. Hopefully, someone else can benefit from it. 

Ok, since you won't actually answer questions, I found the answer in your posts.

"Went on our first one last year and have two more booked"  

7 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Ok, since you won't actually answer questions, I found the answer in your posts.

"Went on our first one last year and have two more booked"  

I am not sure what you are getting at or trying to prove, but if you want to use a statement that my girlfriend made on HER post then so be it. Yes, my girlfriend and I share the same account because she doesn't have a computer, she hates using her phone and so she asked when she was over last weekend if she could post a question on a forum here using my account and I said of course you can. Not that I owe u an explanation but you sure seem to be bossy. Not sure why you are trying to be so controlling.  I answer whatever questions I wish to and relate to topic. 

I have been cruising for 6 years now, most with RC. One or two cruises a year. I have also gone on 4 tours on different RC ships with my friend who is a TA. 

Now I see why CC has such a bad reputation - they must of dealt with you trying to control everyone...  

14 minutes ago, TravelBug2A said:

I am not sure what you are getting at or trying to prove, but if you want to use a statement that my girlfriend made on HER post then so be it. Yes, my girlfriend and I share the same account because she doesn't have a computer, she hates using her phone and so she asked when she was over last weekend if she could post a question on a forum here using my account and I said of course you can. Not that I owe u an explanation but you sure seem to be bossy. Not sure why you are trying to be so controlling.  I answer whatever questions I wish to and relate to topic. 

I have been cruising for 6 years now, most with RC. One or two cruises a year. I have also gone on 4 tours on different RC ships with my friend who is a TA. 

Now I see why CC has such a bad reputation - they must of dealt with you trying to control everyone...  

LOL  I provided you with a link to accurate information about accessible cabins and I am bossy and controlling?  No one is requiring you to click on the facts.  

Carry on...

8 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

LOL  I provided you with a link to accurate information about accessible cabins and I am bossy and controlling?  No one is requiring you to click on the facts.  

Carry on...

I am glad you find it so funny. That says a lot and now I even understand more!  

Um when did I ask for that and why do I need to when I am very familiar with RC? Like I said, I ONLY mention what my experience has been, I don't assume and I don't need to mention anything further than that. I know about all the other accessible cabins but I don't worry about them because we don't want them. I only worry about our needs and since a nice person was making a suggestion for us, I responded pertaining to our experience and our needs! 

You did much more than just provide a link!  Enough said.. I'm done with you - you are so creepy! 

Edited by TravelBug2A

On 4/29/2019 at 6:15 PM, davekathy said:

Disagree. The elevators are for anyone that wants to use them. Disability or not! 

Yep, I totally agree... Everyone needs to be able to use them if they so wish.