Balcony vs Suite

Dave08

We are looking at a 5 day cruise on the Carnival Sunshine leaving out of Charleston in June of 2020. We are thinking of doing a suite on this cruise but the cost difference per person between the balcony and the suite is about $500 per person. I have never been in a suite room (balconies only) so I was curious if the suite is worth the additional $1000? Any insight? Thank you!

Save your money, If you are going to stay a lot in your cabin then you can get the suite. I have been on over 20 cruises and have selected ether the balcony, ocean view or inside cabin, I can also afford the suite.

A regular suite is about 90 square feet bigger than a balcony. Not worth it IMHO. Sure the room looks a bit fancier and has an extra sink and a tub ( would never use ) . I like to get balcony rooms with a larger balcony. Better deal than getting a slightly bigger room. But each to their own is what I say.

I think given the choice I would  go with an aft extended balcony (not the aft wrap) over a suite. The draw for me is the extra space on the balcony, rather than the room. We don't spend a lot of time in the room itself.

• Like 1

I don't even think a balcony is worth that much more than an outside or even an inside.  If you have unlimited resources any upgrade is worth it. If you have to work for it like most of us, then there are plenty of better ways to spend that $$ on your cruise.

We almost always go suite or at a minimum, aft balcony.  Carnival offers the most affordable suites.  You should try it at least once and judge for yourself.  IMO, the Vista Suite (available on select ships, Miracle, Pride, etc) is my favorite.  It has 2 rooms and a huge wrap balcony with a beautiful view from the back of the ship (along with a walk in closet, huge bathroom with whirlpool tub and a vanity area).  I recommend it, especially if you're the type that just likes to spend time with your significant other away from the crowds.

Edited by AnitaVacation
  • Like 1

Not worth it up front. They are nice but nothing too special.

An interior is a good choice if you are like me and spend next to no time in the room.

Balcony is good if you are going to places with a lot of scenery so you can see it.

I have upgraded to a suit twice when the upgrade phone call comes, get upgraded for $300 total instead of over $1,000 when booking.

I def don't think that price is worth it for a 5 day.  Maaaaybe $500 total.    I've been in a suite once and I'm on one again for our Sunrise cruise in August, but I booked really early and got what I thought was an acceptable price.   I don't think if I were booked in a balcony and got offered a $1,000 upgrade that I would take it.   in the first suite, I was in a balcony and had the upgrade offer for a suite for $350 total (for 3 people). I think that was a great deal.

That seems like a huge price jump for a balcony to a suite. Just for reference: we are looking at doing a 4 day cruise in 2020 and are currently deciding between an Aft Wrap or a Suite. We will have three girls rooming together so the extra room in the cabin and/or the balcony would be greatly needed! But for sake of comparison - a regular standard balcony on the cruise we are looking at would cost $1176 (all-in). The cost of a Junior Suite would be $1436 (all-in). That is a difference of only $260 total or $87 pp split three ways. 

Unless you need the extra space for extra people traveling with you or the tub is of great importance for bathing little ones, $1000 seems like it would be way too much to spend on the suite as compared to a balcony. 

When it's just my hubby and I sailing, a standard balcony works just fine for us! 

14 hours ago, Dave08 said:

We are looking at a 5 day cruise on the Carnival Sunshine leaving out of Charleston in June of 2020. We are thinking of doing a suite on this cruise but the cost difference per person between the balcony and the suite is about $500 per person. I have never been in a suite room (balconies only) so I was curious if the suite is worth the additional $1000? Any insight? Thank you!

We always do balconies, have had a few suites over the years usually due to upsells and, back in the day, upgrades. A suite is just a slightly bigger balcony, and not something I would pay an extra G for. Couple hundred, maybe.

IF money is an issue than don't do it.

We only book suites these days as DH likes having a real bathroom and not a shower in a closet!!

He also likes the extra space and I like the balcony.

We spend a lot of time in our cabin so want it to be comfy!

Everyone travels differently and so others cannot make this decision for you!

Thanks to everyone for the comments. This pretty much solidified our decision. We typically do a standard balcony room on the past cruises we have been on but since this one is for our 10 year anniversary we wanted to do something a little larger. We decided on going with the Aft Wrap cabin. We too prefer more outside space than room space and it is just the wife and I, so the larger room certainly isn't worth the extra $1,000. 

Thanks for all of the feedback!

• Like 1