Warning -- Don't try to bring baked goods onboard the anthem

I was on the sailing right before yours and I learned the hard way. I assumed that since we were in the US and our next stop was for disembarkation was in Bayonne (US) that it would not be a problem. I had a cannoli with my hubby at Mike's (amazing) and we bought $20 worth of whoopie pies and brownies for our sons at home. We were told that we could stuff our faces with the crowd of people to the left or just throw them away. We ended up giving them to the security guy. I was so disappointed. My fault for assuming, but never expected that. 

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

The rules might make more sense to those manning the port embarkation and all the goodies (baked) they confiscate.....Holy Donuts !!

Maybe security has the munchies.  See below. 

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Hoping to find Greendayz ice cream in Amsterdam this cruise. Doubt we'll try and bring any on.

Screenshot_20190430-185624_Google.jpg

Might find this in a port of call, on a Canadian Fall Colour Cruise too.  Might make the colours better too.🤔 Then find security with the snacks. 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Hoping to find Greendayz ice cream in Amsterdam this cruise. Doubt we'll try and bring any on.

Screenshot_20190430-185624_Google.jpg

This is exactly the kind of "baked good" I was expecting to find in a conversation about baked goods on a 4/20 cruise.  

• Like 2

I have carried  fresh flowers onto the ship many times in Ft. Lauderdale and Port Canaveral, also in Seattle.. I have a collapsible vase that packs flat for small to medium size bouquets. Last week I bought a larger size bouquet and used the cabin trash can. 

Just be aware that you can't take them back off the ship with you, as that would violate the Dept. of Agriculture rules about taking off plants, fruits, and food products that are not sealed, prepackaged items.  Cheese, meat, nuts, and dried fruit are also things that need to be sealed due to agriculture rules.  This is also the reason you are not supposed to bring sandwiches, fruit, etc., for snacks while on shore.

Barb

I was behind someone inline getting back on to Adventure a few months ago. Security stopped us and asked what we had in our bags. We kept saying we didn't have any bags... the only things we had were our phones and one towel. He kept asking the same question... meanwhile in the background, you hear the lady that was in front of us asking where her food was!!  Finally, security told us to wait and went to talk to the woman, who at this point was screaming for her food, and asked her what food she was talking about. She had 6 very full to-go containers filled with BBQ food, Ribs, Chicken, and corn (that was all I saw). Security came over to us and apologized!! 

To me it was hilarious, here she was screaming for her food and they were questioning us. 

On the Flipside, a few years ago when we went to Canada/NE on Anthem, a lady walked right through security holding a full blueberry pie, fully exposed. No one even looked twice at her. 

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

So you can bring on a whole cake but not a donut ??

What about cake donuts?🤔

6 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

In New Orleans had no problem carrying a big bag of beignets from Cafe Du Monde.  Even shared some with security.

The mystery of the contraband baked goods is solved. These guys are having feasts🍩

12 hours ago, njkruzer said:

I brought chocolate on board in St. Maarten with no problem. 

Same here, especially "Lindt" chocolate bars with whole almonds.  Only place in the Carib. or the US to get them.  When in St.Marteen we bring back some 10 bars as gifts and to consume.:classic_biggrin:

While enforcement is up to each port and cruise line, this is a USPH requirement for ships operating out of US ports.  All food must be from "verifiable" sources, and places like Mike's (though I prefer Bova's a few blocks away), typically don't go in for certification by the FDA that all of their ingredients are legally sourced (I know, flour, sugar, etc, but it is a documentation cost) to be considered "verifiable".  And things that are in boxes tied with twine, while it may say "Mike's" on the box, there is no guarantee that the contents were not substituted, which is why food is limited to factory sealed food.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, barb in ga said:

I have carried  fresh flowers onto the ship many times in Ft. Lauderdale and Port Canaveral, also in Seattle.. I have a collapsible vase that packs flat for small to medium size bouquets. Last week I bought a larger size bouquet and used the cabin trash can. 

Just be aware that you can't take them back off the ship with you, as that would violate the Dept. of Agriculture rules about taking off plants, fruits, and food products that are not sealed, prepackaged items.  Cheese, meat, nuts, and dried fruit are also things that need to be sealed due to agriculture rules.  This is also the reason you are not supposed to bring sandwiches, fruit, etc., for snacks while on shore.

Barb

Barb,

Thank you so much for your response to my question.  We will be sailing from Port Canaveral on Harmony.  I will forward your reply to my RCCL Vacation Planner.  She has also been in contact with other departments at RCCL and as of yesterday no one could give her an answer.

Grace

11 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Happened to us in Portland, Maine.

My personal theory?

Security staff eats them.

😄

Was the contraband from the Holy Donut????? I have to get my donut fix on each cruise there - I can get a lobster roll elsewhere............gotta have the donuts!!!!

• Like 1

Tries to bring baked goods on a ship, on 4/20 of all days, yet surprised when it gets scrutinized...

April 20th is a national Marijuana holiday, of course they are going to suspect people are bringing on edibles😄

Edited by nanowerx

On 4/30/2019 at 2:24 PM, Ashland said:

Well I agree this is disturbing not being able to bring fresh baked items onboard (thinking about Holy Donuts in Portland Maine)...Then why have some been able to bring onboard birthday cakes or so they have posted?

I've had no trouble bringing fudge (selected than bagged or boxed) from Juneau and Ketchikan from the candy shops there.

Well, somehow my Holy Donuts managed to disappear before I got back to the ship. The thought about just tasting one really did not work for me. 

Truly, the best way to bring "contraband" like this on the ship (the kind that they don't want you to but are in fact harmless) is to

1. Carry a large purse but not big tote bag.  One that looks "normal" just the way it is.

2. Put the goods in that bag and simply walk on, tossing your bag onto the security conveyor belt as though you don't have a care in the world.

3. Walk through the metal detector arch.

4. Pick up your bag and go on your merry way. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, rachelfran said:

I was on the the anthem -- April 20 departure and lots of folks tried to bring back baked goods from Mike's Bakery in Boston and were denied.  Some complained about security staff and others posted that it literally ruined their vacation (on facebook).  I  googled "can I bring baked goods back to the anthem" while I was at Mike's and was brought to this page https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/food-drink-onboard-policy which clearly states "you are free to bring non-perishable prepackaged food in limited quantities."  I took that to mean that no, I can't bring fresh baked cannolis to my cabin.  I was right. 

Don't make the same mistake others did.

We were on the Amthem the 1st week of April in the Bahamas and they never stopped us from bring Dinkin Doughnuts back on board, We only got off the ship to go there and get coffee and doughnuts.