Leaving the ship after checking in - Barcelona

As the Emerald doesn't leave till 10pm I was wondering if its possible to checkin, unpack then get off to do some sight seeing. We are getting a Princess transfer from the airport but would like to drop off hand luggage freshen up and then do the open top bus tour of the city.

After you check in, it's like any other port. You can leave as long as you are back onboard by the specified onboard time - which will be listed on a sign at the gangway.

If you are not back onboard by the muster drill, they will have a late muster drill for late arrivals.

• Like 1

And be VERY cautious about pickpockets and luggage theft in Barcelona, its one of the worst places for it, they are exceptionally good at their trade.

I have warned people about this before, others have said its no worse than anywhere else and they have got robbed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Griller said:

And be VERY cautious about pickpockets and luggage theft in Barcelona, its one of the worst places for it, they are exceptionally good at their trade.

I have warned people about this before, others have said its no worse than anywhere else and they have got robbed.

Thanks for the heads up, we will leave all but a few euro on the ship. I was thinking about doing the open bus tour so won't need to much for that.

You can leave all your passports and credit cards etc in the cabin safe.

Every time I have cruised from Barcelona a number of passengers have not been able to board because they had their passports and credit cards stolen.

That means staying in Barcelona until a replacement passport can be obtained and rejoining the ship at another port.

If you're lucky...………...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Griller said:

You can leave all your passports and credit cards etc in the cabin safe.

Every time I have cruised from Barcelona a number of passengers have not been able to board because they had their passports and credit cards stolen.

That means staying in Barcelona until a replacement passport can be obtained and rejoining the ship at another port.

If you're lucky...………...

I will leave everything in the safe no good getting off to a bad start by losing PP and credit card. To be honest the only reason I'm getting off again is my 2 granddaughters will be with me and they would like to see a little of Barcelona if its possible. I will make sure they leave their phones on board.

Barca is a wonderful city - try and check in as early as you can and spend some time in the city - just give yourself time to get back well before sailing - traffic can be a problem sometimes

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Griller said:

Travel sites tend to emphasize the issue in Barcelona. It's easy to have the attitude that it's not going to happen to "You" but it happens a lot. Not only pick pockets but teams where one distracts you while the other lifts your phone, purse, etc. from where you are seated. I plan to be extra careful in Barcelona but still enjoy my 4 days there before we board.

• Like 1

We were in Barcelona last October and actually saw a pick pocketer. I yelled in English but no one understood what I was saying. I then grabbed the woman’s hand and she brought it out of the bag and showed me she didn’t have anything in her hand. I didn’t know the person being pickpocketed but just reacted. The women doing the pickpocketing then followed my husband and I for a few minutes. This was our third visit to Barcelona. It made me think twice about returning there for another vacation. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the caution everyone, I had heard that it was really bad for pick pockets. I intend to leave everything on board in the safe and take 20 euro out with me for water etc.

Edited by windsurferfirst
spelling

On 5/1/2019 at 7:47 AM, windsurferfirst said:

As the Emerald doesn't leave till 10pm I was wondering if its possible to checkin, unpack then get off to do some sight seeing. We are getting a Princess transfer from the airport but would like to drop off hand luggage freshen up and then do the open top bus tour of the city.

Yup, did this cruise last year.  Easy peasy.  Only problem is I forgot the mandatory muster drill as I was touring La Sagrada Familia.  No big deal as I made up for it the next day.

Cheers

19 minutes ago, BEFdoc said:

Yup, did this cruise last year.  Easy peasy.  Only problem is I forgot the mandatory muster drill as I was touring La Sagrada Familia.  No big deal as I made up for it the next day.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if the open top bus comes close to the port? I have looked at the route maps and it seems like it does to me or at least quiet close. I will be with my daughter and granddaughters and wondered if it was possible to walk to the pick up point. Also can you tell me if the bag check when you first board is a scan or table top inspection.

Thanks again

First the bus...no not directly to the port and our berth at least the one I saw.  I recall seeing information on another board, maybe Europe destinations that can give more information and Trip Advisor.  I have heard people walking the distance.  I recall scans for luggage.  Nice well organized check in.

1 minute ago, BEFdoc said:

First the bus...no not directly to the port and our berth at least the one I saw.  I recall seeing information on another board, maybe Europe destinations that can give more information and Trip Advisor.  I have heard people walking the distance.  I recall scans for luggage.  Nice well organized check in.

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I will do some more research on the HOHO bus. I have a thing about my hand luggage being searched by hand I don't mind the search, I just cant stand to see people go through my stuff, Im happy with scans, it silly I know but put it down to a bad experience with an over zealous agent at a UK airport. 

If you look at a map of Barcelona you should be able to see where the cruise terminals are. At least one of the HoHo bus routes stops at the World Trade Centre, which is just above the cruise terminal wharf on the map. It's probably walkable but if it's a warm day I'd suggest getting a taxi, they are very cheap in Barcelona. It's a lovely city and we enjoyed walking around the older areas off Las Ramblas. There are a couple of cute shops in that area that your granddaughters might like - one is Pylones in Carrer de la Cucurulla, the other is just down the road near the T intersection - unfortunately I can't remember the name of it and I can't find it on Google maps but it had some great stuff.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 7:47 AM, windsurferfirst said:

one more item if you haven't been to Barcelona previously.   Get a croissant there.  They are flakey and wonderful.  If you decide to eat dinner off the ship because you can get on late - make sure to get some fine paella, but not on las ramblas.  Last year the hotel recommended the biggest ripoff place imagineable (which was off of las ramblas).   But we looked on trip advisor and found a small joint, but no english spoken  I can finally say - thanks goodness for high school spanish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If you look at a map of Barcelona you should be able to see where the cruise terminals are. At least one of the HoHo bus routes stops at the World Trade Centre, which is just above the cruise terminal wharf on the map. It's probably walkable but if it's a warm day I'd suggest getting a taxi, they are very cheap in Barcelona. It's a lovely city and we enjoyed walking around the older areas off Las Ramblas. There are a couple of cute shops in that area that your granddaughters might like - one is Pylones in Carrer de la Cucurulla, the other is just down the road near the T intersection - unfortunately I can't remember the name of it and I can't find it on Google maps but it had some great stuff.

I will try my best to keep those girls away from the shops, I swear they are professional shoppers already at 13 & 14 but no doubt I will get suckered in. Thanks for the tip.

2 hours ago, windsurferfirst said:

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I will do some more research on the HOHO bus. I have a thing about my hand luggage being searched by hand I don't mind the search, I just cant stand to see people go through my stuff, Im happy with scans, it silly I know but put it down to a bad experience with an over zealous agent at a UK airport. 

Sorry, but they moved the area Princess docks in and it is an incredibly long long walk and with luggage even worse.  I suggest UBER.  If I remember correctly, there is a shuttle of some sort into the terminal that will take you to Princess.

I use to love it when it did dock near the streets.

4 minutes ago, Knickearth said:

Sorry, but they moved the area Princess docks in and it is an incredibly long long walk and with luggage even worse.  I suggest UBER.  If I remember correctly, there is a shuttle of some sort into the terminal that will take you to Princess.

I use to love it when it did dock near the streets.

Thanks for the update I didn't realise the ship was so far away from the streets. I need to do some more research I'm beginning to regret suggesting it to the girls.

31 minutes ago, windsurferfirst said:

I will try my best to keep those girls away from the shops, I swear they are professional shoppers already at 13 & 14 but no doubt I will get suckered in. Thanks for the tip.

No! No! No! Please don't keep them away from Pylones. They have some seriously cute but small and inexpensive things. My favourite most useful item is a small black cat magnet with a tail that curls up to make an hook. Very useful on cruises. Great souvenirs that don't take up much baggage space.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly there is also a bus at the pier that picks up passengers for a small fee who want to go into town (or back to the ship). I remember that it drops you off at the foot of Las Ramblas where you can also find a stop for the HoHo bus.

There is a stop near the Columbus monument at the bottom of La Ramblas but as that is a walk from the ship berth I would take a taxi to Plaza Catalunya (top of La Ramblas) where the HOHO buses essentially start from. Barca is a wonderful city. 

As for pick pockets, I have never been hit so you never know whether someone has tried to pocket me, but I wear one of those money belts that is under my shirt and no one even knows that you have it. I still leave an amount of money in  my pocket as I don't want to have to access the money belt for every purchase. Like others have said, passports always should stay in the cabin safe. I can't believe the number of people that think you need to take your passport with you.

• Like 1