Sea Sickness Advice

pennys mum

On our last cruise my daughter had really bad sea sickness and dizziness. 

She could have gone to medical to get an injection or have acupuncture at the spa.

She was not convinced either way and fortunately seas calmed so she was fine.

Has anyone tried either of these options and if so how effective were they?

How long do they work for?

Bonine is my best friend😉, wouldn’t sail without it.  On Celebrity they do have it at guest relations but I always bring mine own.  Just in case I take one before boarding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One of my first cruises was almost my last, as the seas were so rough that I just wanted to get off the ship and fly back home.  Well, since that wasn't an immediate solution, I went to the medical center and lo and behold, there were at least 200 other passengers in line in front of me.  

After a couple of torturous hours of waiting, I get to the nurse and she said, "we can give you a shot but you may want to try the boutique onboard first recommending ginger tablets and SeaBand wrist bands."  And, she continued, "if you find no joy [loved that terminology she used], then you should come down for the shot".  

Well, I should have been the poster child for those two remedies!  They worked so well for me.  I've learned so much about seasickness prevention / cures since then and now have well over 50 more cruises under my belt.  And to think, I was never going to go on a cruise again .... 

So ... here are my most helpful remedies:

Sea Bands -- a form of acupressure and you can pick them up in Costco or at your local drug store for about $5 a pair 

Ginger tablets -- 100% ground ginger root helps nausea and can be found at your local drug store for about $7 a bottle 

Green apples -- this is a crew favorite and you can keep a stash in your room 

Fresh air -- get outside and get some fresh air and let it hit you in the face (away from smoke or exhaust fumes, strong smells) 

Lay down and close your eyes -- sea sickness oftentimes has to do with what your eyes see and your balance mechanism in your inner ear 

Plenty of sleep -- this helps everything related to how you feel

Not to many liquids in your stomach -- when the water is really rough, drinking a can of ginger ale will not make you feel better (the ginger tablets with small sips of water will be much better) 

Do not overeat -- hard to do on a cruise sometimes but an overly full stomach is not your friend when you are sea sick (try that green apple instead) 

Get up and get moving -- go dancing, take a brisk walk out in the fresh air, keep moving (don't know why this helps but it really does seem to work)

Book a cabin midship and on a lower deck -- there are less movement in these cabins; avoid events in lounges, theaters that are at the front and top deck of the ship;  consider dining areas that are midship (and a lower deck when possible).  

Now, just when I thought I had everything under control, I went on a whale watching tour out in San Diego last year.  Oh, I was sicker than sick and many others on the small boat were also as sick as me.  I will never ever be caught on a small boat again out in rough waters but I think the above cures are great for cruiseship sailing.  

First, how old is your daughter? Adult or child? Second, what has her doctor suggested as a preventive measure? Better to prevent it than to try to treat it once it rears it's ugly head. Acupuncture may work or it may not. It varies WIDELY from person  to person.  The typical injections are like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer- they work,  but she'd likely be laid out for many hours. 

After trying numerous preventatives,  I've settled on Bonine, begun the night before boarding and continued nightly until a couple of days after disembarkation

My wife takes Bonine, which she swears by, at least until she gets sea legs.  Then only takes during rough waters.  The non-drowsy works for her.  We also have sea bands as well, but have not really needed them.  Other solutions previously mentioned are also very reasonable.

Hi

Bonine is not readily available in UK but Sea bands are-- get them  in Boots or Superdrug cost about £8.50p.

Ginger is effective to a degree and you can buy crystallized ginger sweets from Holland & Barrett.  I suffered on our 1st cruise and bought the bands on board, they also say looking at the horizon helps🤔

11 hours ago, mom says said:

First, how old is your daughter? Adult or child? Second, what has her doctor suggested as a preventive measure? Better to prevent it than to try to treat it once it rears it's ugly head. Acupuncture may work or it may not. It varies WIDELY from person  to person.  The typical injections are like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer- they work,  but she'd likely be laid out for many hours. 

After trying numerous preventatives,  I've settled on Bonine, begun the night before boarding and continued nightly until a couple of days after disembarkation

Sorry should have said my daughter is an adult.

Do not think bonine is available in uk however will be in USA in June so will try and source it then.

It is only rough seas that affect her so will she need it everyday and is it non drowsy?

32 minutes ago, pennys mum said:

Sorry should have said my daughter is an adult.

Do not think bonine is available in uk however will be in USA in June so will try and source it then.

It is only rough seas that affect her so will she need it everyday and is it non drowsy?

Meclizine is the generic name for Bonine and it is non drowsy.  I have tried ginger but Bonine works best for me.

To the OP.  How do you know if the recommendations on this forum will work for your daughter and will not have any adverse effects?  Have her talk with a physician or pharmacist.😄

1 hour ago, Husky61 said:

To the OP.  How do you know if the recommendations on this forum will work for your daughter and will not have any adverse effects?  Have her talk with a physician or pharmacist.😄

I don't disagree that we on Cruise Critic are not here to give medical advice.  That said, many of these solutions are med-free and thus there is not a single risk in trying them.  No one, not the doctor nor the pharmacist nor any of us, can say for sure which solutions will work for which person.  It is not bad advice to talk to the doctor about it, but many non-medical solutions help many people quite a bit.  

2 hours ago, Oville said:

Meclizine is the generic name for Bonine and it is non drowsy.  I have tried ginger but Bonine works best for me.

I would agree that it is less drowsy than the medicine in the original Dramamine.  But unfortunately I would describe it as less drowsy rather than non-drowsy.  I cruise often, and suffer from motion sickness.  So I take meclizine periodically on a fairly regular basis while cruising.  I always feel some amount of drowsiness unfortunately.

Another point about meclizine and the inability to get in the UK - as has been mentioned, you can go to Guest Relations and get as much meclizine as you need for free (a few at a time).  I had never had an issue obtaining any, although I confess I am paranoid so I always bring some of my own as well.

And a point regarding ginger - I also find this helpful.  But everyone taking it needs to be aware that ginger has blood thinning properties.  If you are taking any other meds that thin blood, or have any other health issues, check with the doctor before taking it on your own.

• I can ride every coaster on earth.  
  • I can ride any boat on the lake in whatever height waves.
  • I can read in the car going through the mountains after eating a spice chipotle burrito.

However, as soon that cruise ship starts moving.....I get my friend Bonine out.  That and some gin gins.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I would agree that it is less drowsy than the medicine in the original Dramamine.  But unfortunately I would describe it as less drowsy rather than non-drowsy.  I cruise often, and suffer from motion sickness.  So I take meclizine periodically on a fairly regular basis while cruising.  I always feel some amount of drowsiness unfortunately.

That’s too bad. I too cruise often and at times need to take my fair share of meclizine and haven’t had that issue.  I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Have never experienced true seasickness, but have at times gotten a little queasy.  A while back doctor prescribed the meclizine patch.  Just put it on and it works for three days.  Tried it once and felt almost instant relief.  In the US the patch requires a prescription, but it is available otc throughout the Caribbean.

One helpful hint I received that seems to work is to go on deck and fix your eyes at the horizon.  It helps to align the inner ear.

Edited by Baron Barracuda
  • Like 1

Bonine is great. If you're arriving at a U.S. port a day before your cruise, a stop at any pharmacy will be worth your while. Benadryl works, too, but causes drowsiness. On the one cruise when I had seasickness, I used Bonine during the day and Benadryl at bedtime. 

I used to get seasick just looking at a ship...so when I finally agreed to go on a cruise 20 years ago, I talked to my doctor about preventing seasickness.  She advised that I use the Trans Derm Scop patch.  I put it on the morning I am boarding the ship, change it every three days, from the right side to the left each change.  I have been on some very rough cruises and not felt any nausea, even when others on the cruise are laid up in bed!  It does cause me to have some dry mouth, so I make sure I drink more water than usual.  The seabands work for a lot of people who cannot use medications, but I tried them one time and the pressure on my wrists drove me crazy and I had to take them off.  So my suggestion about seabands would be to try to wear them for a day a few weeks before your cruise to be sure they don't bother you.  Best wishes to your daughter finding what works for her.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't disagree that we on Cruise Critic are not here to give medical advice.  That said, many of these solutions are med-free and thus there is not a single risk in trying them.  No one, not the doctor nor the pharmacist nor any of us, can say for sure which solutions will work for which person.  It is not bad advice to talk to the doctor about it, but many non-medical solutions help many people quite a bit.  

Some of the solutions are med free and there is not a single risk? Are you serious?  What if someone on this forum who knows nothing about the OP suggested they take peanuts?  Risk free?  Not if the op is allergic to peanuts and could die. Since none of us have a clue what the op could react to, I would never recommend anything.  That is what physicians who know the persons health history are for.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pickels said:

CABIN SELECTION is also important---lower deck, mid-ship.

This is going to sound crazy to many and that is why the SClass spread sheet in awesome!! I also suffer from motion sickness and it is vital that while sleeping, my body has to be faced forward with the forward motion of the ship (same as driving a car).

For balcony cabins (not suites) on SClass, I only choose cabins with the bed by the balcony and have never had an issue.  Unfortunately, the MClass spread sheet doesn't have this detail so, for our upcoming Bermuda cruise on the Summit, our TA had to contact Celebrity and, while it took a few days for their reply, it was worth the wait and ended up changing cabins to ensure the bed was facing forward and not aft.

It's fine to suggest someone check with their doctor but every doctor I've asked has told me to take meclizine tablets if I didn't want a prescription for the patch.  It's an over-the-counter medication in the U.S. and a well-known treatment (for decades), so unless someone has a known allergy to its ingredients, no harm in suggesting it as a solution.  One would hope that someone with allergies to other medications would already know to check ingredient lists before popping pills.

I'm more concerned when people suggest anything other than medication because what happens when someone gets on the ship and realizes the folk remedies don't work?  At the very least, I'd have a supply of meclizine to take as a backup.  I take one starting the night before a cruise sails so that it is in my system.  I also stay off of smaller boats.

If you are going to take any medicine for the first time, OTC or prescription, I strongly suggest that you try one dose at least a few days prior to leaving on your trip.  Every medicine can have side effects and it's far better to know how it effects you when you are still at home than having a reaction when on a ship in the middle of nowhere.

I have never had a really bad reaction, but I took one pill for altitude sickness a week before flying to Quito...I took a malaria pill a week prior to leaving on a trip to Thailand, etc.   Similarly, don't take your first melatonin as you get on your flight to Asia....try one a week before.  For example, If I take a Zyrtec for allergies, I stop sneezing and itchy eyes because those things don't happen when you sleep and I found that I slept for 12 hours after just one pill.  Allegra on the other hand works as expected.  Everyone is different.....don't believe the advertising.

Ginger works well for me, as does ginger ale in small sips. Dry salted crackers and pretzels are good. When feeling a bit queasy especially at rough seas at the beginning of a cruise I tend to sleep it away, eat only lightly - not fatty comfort food etc. - and refrain from alcohol of any kind, not even a glass of wine.  This way I can keep away from medication of any kind . When I have found my sea legs I'll be fine for the rest of the voyage, as could be seen during our Norway coastal voyage in March when there was a force 12 gale, the ship was rocking and rolling like a bucking horse and the dining room was almost empty.

I think everyone have to find their own personal solution, though. But it's good advice to keep something stronger in your bag if the house remedies won't work.

7 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Some of the solutions are med free and there is not a single risk? Are you serious?  What if someone on this forum who knows nothing about the OP suggested they take peanuts?  Risk free?  Not if the op is allergic to peanuts and could die. Since none of us have a clue what the op could react to, I would never recommend anything.  That is what physicians who know the persons health history are for.

Come on now.   Many seasickness preventions are completely risk free.  Booking a cabin lower on the ship and mid-ship is certainly risk free.   Looking at the horizon is risk free.  I'm pretty confident in saying that an adult would know ahead of time if they were allergic to green apples, so, yes that is risk free as well. Keeping some food in your stomach, not eating a lot of heavy, greasy food,  and not heavily indulging in alcohol is risk free.  Getting some fresh air is risk free.  That is what I was referring to, which I would expect most people reading my post would understand.  I fully support people not medicating without consulting with their doctors, or in the case of OTC at the very least doing some research ahead of time.

• Like 3