Poached Egg Benedict question

SempreMare

Question about items on the MDR breakfast menu / room service menus that @Crew News kindly linked: 

For the poached egg menu items,  how runny are the whites when served? 

I prefer egg whites cooked all the way through.  What's the most well-understood way to order that? 

ex:  is "over-medium" understood to mean that? 

Edited by SempreMare

1 minute ago, SempreMare said:

Question about items on the MDR breakfast menu / room service menus that @Crew News kindly posted: 

I prefer egg whites cooked all the way through.  What's the most well-understood way to order that? 

Each cook/chef is different on each ship but we have never experienced any runny egg whites on any of HAL's ships but we have had hard poached egg yolks.  Also we have never been asked how we would like the poached egg cooked.  You can also get eggs benedict in the Lido Marketplace.

1 minute ago, SempreMare said:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Question about items on the MDR breakfast menu / room service menus that @Crew News kindly linked: 

Poached eggs via Room Service is affected by how far you are from the Room Service kitchen in the back of the ship as the eggs still continue to cook while enroute.  I would never order poached eggs from Room Service as the level of doneness is to hard to maintain.

Since the eggs are cooked in a large pot of simmering water, you can see the level of doneness of the whites you are receiving in the Lido Market.  For yolk doneness, just tell the person poaching the eggs how runny you want them.  The cook will press them with a gloved finger and know exactly their degree of doneness.  If you are not happy when the yolk is opened, you can always go back for more.

• Like 3

I agree with Crew News.  You can keep track of your eggs and how well done they are in the Lido Market.

DH often gets Eggs Benedict in the Pinnacle Grill and has never had a problem with either the whites or yolks.

But we would never order them from room service.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I agree with Crew News.  You can keep track of your eggs and how well done they are in the Lido Market.

DH often gets Eggs Benedict in the Pinnacle Grill and has never had a problem with either the whites or yolks.

But we would never order them from room service.

LOVE poached eggs!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CrusinAgain said:

Each cook/chef is different on each ship but we have never experienced any runny egg whites on any of HAL's ships but we have had hard poached egg yolks.  Also we have never been asked how we would like the poached egg cooked.  You can also get eggs benedict in the Lido Marketplace.

Eggs Benedict is one of my breakfast weaknesses. I can't tell you how many times I have sent them back to the kitchen with over cooked yokes, my yokes have to be soft and runny and that is the way I order them, but it is hard to always get them way.  I have not ordered them from room service on HAL because it is very hard to send them back if over cooked or cold. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Eggs Benedict is one of my breakfast weaknesses. I can't tell you how many times I have sent them back to the kitchen with over cooked yokes, my yokes have to be soft and runny and that is the way I order them, but it is hard to always get them way.  I have not ordered them from room service on HAL because it is very hard to send them back if over cooked or cold. 

Eggs Benedict are my favorite too.  I've never had a problem with the whites, as terrydtx said, overcooked yolks are usually the problem with Eggs Benedict.

21 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Eggs Benedict are my favorite too.  I've never had a problem with the whites, as terrydtx said, overcooked yolks are usually the problem with Eggs Benedict.

BTW, "over easy" refers to fried eggs.  I have never seen it applied to poached eggs.

I’ve been asked on my ship how I want my poached eggs and they are always as I have requested (so far).  I am very fussy on my eggs.

Excluding room service which I think can be affected by time, when it comes to ordering in the MDR or LIdo or Pinnacle Grill, my eggs have been how I liked and I don’t like runny whites but yolks MUST be soft.  I’ve been a happy camper so far as has DH 🙂 

LOL and contrary to everyone else, my yokes have to been done like a hard boiled egg! Something left over from childhood when you sometimes broke open an egg and there was a chick in there. 😝😳

Cheers, Denise 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2019 at 11:58 PM, Crew News said:

Since the eggs are cooked in a large pot of simmering water, you can see the level of doneness of the whites you are receiving in the Lido Market.  For yolk doneness, just tell the person poaching the eggs how runny you want them.  The cook will press them with a gloved finger and know exactly their degree of doneness. 

Great to know.  I plan to try all 4 breakfast options in my week: 

Lido, Main Dining Room, Pinnacle Grill, and Room Services

My perception is that I can order the same items in MDR, PG, and Room Service.

Is there anything in Lido that you particularly like (beyond the eggs benedicts) that I can't get off the standard breakfast menu? 

14 hours ago, billbunger said:

Tell the cook, waiter etc that you want your poached egg whites "set".  Your egg whites will be cooked and not runny. Good cooks are trained and will use and know this terminology. 

YES that was the terminology I was trying to recall.  Thank you @billbunger

I know this is scandalous, but I'd rather order "fried eggs" benedicts vs poached. 

IMO: So much more flavor in a fried egg cooked over medium than poached. 

The great thing about eggs in general for me is 1.5  eggs (1 full egg + an egg white)  will keep me full forever,  all for 120 calories.   My eye doc says yolks are the best source of Lutein you can ingest to help prevent macular degeneration and to ignore any heart doc who says to not eat egg yolks :-).

As an aside :-), 

I've been told I make the world's best cast iron skillet fried eggs.  

One of my secrets is: https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/cambridgeshire-celery-powder

, the best form of celery salt. 

My other secret is:  https://www.instacart.com/whole-foods/products/271034-roth-sliced-havarti-dill-cheese-6-oz

, havarti dill cheese sliced on the store deli machine on #1 (thinnest) setting. 

Edited by SempreMare

2 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Great to know.  I plan to try all 4 breakfast options in my week: 

Lido, Main Dining Room, Pinnacle Grill, and Room Services

My perception is that I can order the same items in MDR, PG, and Room Service.

Is there anything in Lido that you particularly like (beyond the eggs benedicts) that I can't get off the standard breakfast menu? 

YES that was the terminology I was trying to recall.  Thank you @billbunger

I know this is scandalous, but I'd rather order "fried eggs" benedicts vs poached. 

IMO: So much more flavor in a fried egg cooked over medium than poached.

The Room Service Breakfast card is very limited and I would not order fried/poached eggs if you are in the front of the ship as its a long serving cart ride from the Room Service kitchen.  Now if you have an aft stateroom, the eggs will be perfect after a short elevator ride up from the kitchen.

The MDR and PG menus are exactly the same and the service slow.  On a sea day, it works but if you are in a hurry to catch an excursion, stick with Room Service or th Lido Market.  I would try the Lido Market first to see what is available so you will know what you can request that is not on the MDR/PG menus.

7 hours ago, SempreMare said:

It might depend on the ship, but I usually see Congee at one station in the Lido at breakfast. It is an Asian rice porridge and there are numerous "toppings" you can add. It might be a bit of an acquired taste, but be adventurous and give it a try!

11 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

It might depend on the ship, but I usually see Congee at one station in the Lido at breakfast. It is an Asian rice porridge and there are numerous "toppings" you can add. It might be a bit of an acquired taste, but be adventurous and give it a try!

An acquired taste?  Absolutely, at least for my palate.  Maybe I should I have tried more of the toppings.  But, I am glad that I tried Congee.

54 minutes ago, kentuckycruiser said:

Next hijack. I know there will be pancake requests from my boys. Years ago, we used to get some on the room service, but I know that has changed. In the NS would be it be appropriate to add by hand writing? Or would pancakes be available in the PG?

Indeed, there are both buckwheat and buttermilk pancakes available in both the MDR and PG for breakfast.  You can always write them on your Room Service card and hope.  Don't forget to write in syreup and butter.  If you order milk through Room Service Breakfast, write in "empty glass" unless you wish to drink from the carton.

• Like 2