FLL/Miami affordable transportation and hotel recommendations, please!

lensonlife

Sailing Horizon 6/29- 6 adults/teens. 9PM FLL arrival (6/28) 😔. Looking for hotel accommodations that provide a free breakfast- something affordable (but clean AND SAFE). Obviously just looking to lay our head so need to spend buckets of money. If there is a hotel shuttle from airport, that would be fabulous! Also, is UBER the most cost efficient, and will 1 UBER XL be able to accommodate everyone in our party and luggage? We will be looking for transportation from ship to FLL for a 2 PM departure as well. AND, will these UBERS make a pit stop for us to get wine and soda? 😁 

Last cruise was 3.5 years ago aboard Sunshine and we had a rental as we spent some time in FL after the cruise. 

Hyatt place is minutes from fll airport.  They have a shuttle and breakfast.  Can sleep 5 to 6 in a room.  Have stayed there multiple times sailing out of Miami.   There are shuttles you can book through their hotel that are local or check with SAS.  There is a shopping area within walking distance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lensonlife said:

Also, is UBER the most cost efficient, and will 1 UBER XL be able to accommodate everyone in our party and luggage? AND, will these UBERS make a pit stop for us to get wine and soda? 😁 

I can't speak of hotels in the area, the SAS (whatever that is) or hotel shuttles but I can speak about ubers. I am a driver (albiet in PA) and drive an XL. My vehicle is a Ford explorer with third row seating and very roomy. It's one of the larger 3rd row seating vehicles on the market for interior room. It can EASILY accommodate 6 passengers plus myself (I'm 6'4"). Having said that I know with almost complete certainty that there is NO way I can drive all 6 people AND their luggage unless it's a short cruise AND you pack extremely light. Even then I'm not sure I could fit 6 carry on rollers in the back even if everyone had a backpack on their laps. I'd recommend (depending on luggage size) 2 xl's. If you split to 2 groups of 3 and have just the carry on size bags and backpacks you could get away with 2 x's. I like to think worst case (prius) with x's and best case (an xl accepting an x). I know personally I have had a tough time fitting 2 students with 2 large bags each and a small bag each in my explorer (I won't put suitcases on my seats).

As far as stops they HAVE to make stops if you have it in the app. So research where you want to stop and when you make the request have it in the app already. To add a stop you click the "where to" and it'll automatically place your pin (make sure it is where you are. You can type in the hotel/business name on that line). On the screen that comes up to type in your destination it'll have a + next to that line. click that and it'll give you more lines (up to 2 stops and a destination). Fill in the order you want and request.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BBigfoot613 said:

I can't speak of hotels in the area, the SAS (whatever that is) or hotel shuttles but I can speak about ubers. I am a driver (albiet in PA) and drive an XL. My vehicle is a Ford explorer with third row seating and very roomy. It's one of the larger 3rd row seating vehicles on the market for interior room. It can EASILY accommodate 6 passengers plus myself (I'm 6'4"). Having said that I know with almost complete certainty that there is NO way I can drive all 6 people AND their luggage unless it's a short cruise AND you pack extremely light. Even then I'm not sure I could fit 6 carry on rollers in the back even if everyone had a backpack on their laps. I'd recommend (depending on luggage size) 2 xl's. If you split to 2 groups of 3 and have just the carry on size bags and backpacks you could get away with 2 x's. I like to think worst case (prius) with x's and best case (an xl accepting an x). I know personally I have had a tough time fitting 2 students with 2 large bags each and a small bag each in my explorer (I won't put suitcases on my seats).

As far as stops they HAVE to make stops if you have it in the app. So research where you want to stop and when you make the request have it in the app already. To add a stop you click the "where to" and it'll automatically place your pin (make sure it is where you are. You can type in the hotel/business name on that line). On the screen that comes up to type in your destination it'll have a + next to that line. click that and it'll give you more lines (up to 2 stops and a destination). Fill in the order you want and request.

This is so helpful- super appreciate your feedback! My husband is 6’ 6” and near 300 lbs. My kids are all thin (but TALL) and I was worried that we might get a mid-size SUV (vs a full-size Suburban, etc.). I drive a Toyota 4 Runner- no 3rd row (intentionally, because nobody in our family would be able to squeeze back there). And as you said, LUGGAGE! So, two it is should we go that route. And really good to know they have to stop!!! 

Any guesses on fares from FLL to Miami or reverse?

If you have the app you can do this yourself for a more accurate estimate. Just input the info but don't click request and the price is listed with the type of ride. Not knowing your desired destination and/or stops I input FLL (airport) for pickup and port of Miami for destination. X shows 37.26, and XL shows 68.54. It could inflate during surge times (high demand). To know it's surging is simple. Just above your options for X, XL, Lux, etc. it'll say "higher prices due to demand". MOST times if you aren't in a hurry you can wait a few minutes (5-10) and re-enter the addresses and the prices will drop. For instance as soon as a plane puts out the luggage at baggage claims the prices usually go up because there is a spike in requests. If you wait a few minutes those prices go down. Take a potty break to kill time lol.

Oh another option I have been a part of... with 6 people order an X for 4 and a couple bags (2-3) and then an XL for the other 2 and remainder of bags. Saves you a little bit and still gets everyone and everything to same destination. Also if not needed for everyone to make the stop leave it off one vehicle. If you only have one uber and lyft account you can request a car on each app from same phone but CAN'T order 2 cars at the same time from same account.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BBigfoot613 said:

If you have the app you can do this yourself for a more accurate estimate. Just input the info but don't click request and the price is listed with the type of ride. Not knowing your desired destination and/or stops I input FLL (airport) for pickup and port of Miami for destination. X shows 37.26, and XL shows 68.54. It could inflate during surge times (high demand). To know it's surging is simple. Just above your options for X, XL, Lux, etc. it'll say "higher prices due to demand". MOST times if you aren't in a hurry you can wait a few minutes (5-10) and re-enter the addresses and the prices will drop. For instance as soon as a plane puts out the luggage at baggage claims the prices usually go up because there is a spike in requests. If you wait a few minutes those prices go down. Take a potty break to kill time lol.

Oh another option I have been a part of... with 6 people order an X for 4 and a couple bags (2-3) and then an XL for the other 2 and remainder of bags. Saves you a little bit and still gets everyone and everything to same destination. Also if not needed for everyone to make the stop leave it off one vehicle. If you only have one uber and lyft account you can request a car on each app from same phone but CAN'T order 2 cars at the same time from same account.

Again, thank you! I have used an UBER twice ever- NYC and near Boston, but this rural Vermonter was truly was shocked when it worked 😂.

I will assume the 68.54 was per car/not person- and since you are a driver, what is a good tip, per car, for such a trip?

Good to know about the surging- with arrival the night before and an afternoon return departure, we should be in good shape to wait. Though it gives new meaning to, “wait a minute!” 😂

We always stay at the LaQuinta Inn and Suites on 26th Avenue.  Rooms start at $115.  They have a free shuttle to and from the airport and free breakfast.  The do offer a shuttle to the port but you have to pay for it.  They have shuttle buses that pull trailers for the luggage.   There are several restaurants within a half mile.  (Easy walking for most people).

They also offer free shuttle to shopping areas.  Just tell them at the desk where you want to go and call them when you want to be picked up.

LaQuinta has just become part of the Wyndham chain of  hotels.  So if you are a loyalty member of Wyndham, you will earn points at LaQuinta for free stays.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lensonlife said:

Sailing Horizon 6/29- 6 adults/teens. 9PM FLL arrival (6/28) 😔. Looking for hotel accommodations that provide a free breakfast- something affordable (but clean AND SAFE). Obviously just looking to lay our head so need to spend buckets of money. If there is a hotel shuttle from airport, that would be fabulous! Also, is UBER the most cost efficient, and will 1 UBER XL be able to accommodate everyone in our party and luggage? We will be looking for transportation from ship to FLL for a 2 PM departure as well. AND, will these UBERS make a pit stop for us to get wine and soda? 😁 

Last cruise was 3.5 years ago aboard Sunshine and we had a rental as we spent some time in FL after the cruise. 

Have you tried the Florida departures forum, Trip Advisor or Google as this topic has nothing to do with Carnival Cruises .......

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Haha 1

We stay at one of the hotels in Oakwood plaza. Most have free shuttles from the airport and breakfast. The plaza has a kmart, bjs for wine, dollar store, mc Donald's and lots more. Then we uber or shuttle to port of Miami the next morning. 

We stay at the Hampton Inn Cruiseport. There is a shuttle from FLL airport for free.

There is a McDonald’s in front of the hotel that you can walk to. There is also a Dollar Tree and a grocery next to the hotel. We walk there and get our pre cruise items in the morning before we leave.

No way Uber XL will fit everyone. (I’m an Uber fan) it’s not worth the risk and stress on the morning of a cruise.

I’m a big fan of QLS transportation. We have used them many times. They will pick you up infront of your hotel and take you direct to the port. Sorry no stops unless you rent the whole van. Last time we went it was $15.00 per person.

They have a trailer they tow behind the van to accommodate all the luggage.

I’ll follow this because I’m looking for one for my first week of December cruise. It looks like I’m going to get to the hotel around midnight so it’s literally just a place to sleep but almost everything decent seems $200+. I’ll probably end up at crown plaza or comfort suites. They’re around $150.

8 hours ago, lensonlife said:

Again, thank you! I have used an UBER twice ever- NYC and near Boston, but this rural Vermonter was truly was shocked when it worked 😂.

I will assume the 68.54 was per car/not person- and since you are a driver, what is a good tip, per car, for such a trip?

Good to know about the surging- with arrival the night before and an afternoon return departure, we should be in good shape to wait. Though it gives new meaning to, “wait a minute!” 😂

LOL@shock it worked. With most new or newer passengers I usually get the shock of how quickly a person can get a ride (so make sure you are ready to roll when you hit request). That price was for the CAR not per person. Also if it is surging a trick many here do is check both uber and lyft apps for which is cheaper since they aren't related and one can surge when the other isn't. As far as tipping a driver I can only give my opinion like others do about tipping on the ship. For me personally it would come down to 1. were the helpful with bags and 2. were they friendly/enjoyable during the ride. I get ALOT of passengers who state that most drivers don't help with loading/unloading and that many don't talk more than saying hi and bye during the ride. Also a good thing to remember is that $$ charge you pay is NOT what the driver makes. I would guess from experience that the driver would see about $35-$40 of that charge and make even less after figuring expenses (gas/miles).

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

Have you tried the Florida departures forum, Trip Advisor or Google as this topic has nothing to do with Carnival Cruises .......

In the ideal world you are completely right and that is exactly where this should be. Having said that I know the frustration of trying to find info or get answers there. The traffic to that part of these boards is a lot less and sometimes can take days or weeks to get an answer. Most come to their cruise line of choices board and nowhere else. I'm sure there is a ton of info and experience that never gets shared just for that reason alone...

47 minutes ago, BBigfoot613 said:

LOL@shock it worked. With most new or newer passengers I usually get the shock of how quickly a person can get a ride (so make sure you are ready to roll when you hit request). That price was for the CAR not per person. Also if it is surging a trick many here do is check both uber and lyft apps for which is cheaper since they aren't related and one can surge when the other isn't. As far as tipping a driver I can only give my opinion like others do about tipping on the ship. For me personally it would come down to 1. were the helpful with bags and 2. were they friendly/enjoyable during the ride. I get ALOT of passengers who state that most drivers don't help with loading/unloading and that many don't talk more than saying hi and bye during the ride. Also a good thing to remember is that $$ charge you pay is NOT what the driver makes. I would guess from experience that the driver would see about $35-$40 of that charge and make even less after figuring expenses (gas/miles).

In the ideal world you are completely right and that is exactly where this should be. Having said that I know the frustration of trying to find info or get answers there. The traffic to that part of these boards is a lot less and sometimes can take days or weeks to get an answer. Most come to their cruise line of choices board and nowhere else. I'm sure there is a ton of info and experience that never gets shared just for that reason alone...

While I have been reading threads for several weeks now and taking notes in an effort to not inundate any one forum with questions where answers are easily found, I only registered yesterday and exactly what you said, have observed posts to remain stagnant for a long period of time. We want to get these two things checked off on our list and I figured I could get an immediate response to lodging, travel, and shopping question here. Certainly not intending to muddy the waters and apologize. Really appreciative of the prompt responses! I have some great ideas now. 

Edited by lensonlife
  • Like 1

For those of you following, I was able to book two rooms at the Hampton Inn Cruise Port North for 6/28 @ $179.67 each- includes of taxes. As mentioned, 24 hour airport shuttle and breakfast included- as well as an opportunity to hop to the adjacent plaza for essentials in the morning before we catch transportation to Port of Miami. As it turns out, the hotel doesn't provide the transportation- but they will arrange it for you with All Stars. That said, it was going to cost us $120 for the 6 of us. I ran a quick Uber XL quote and it came up at near $35 (and we will need two cars obviously if we go that route), but it's still a savings and we won't have to share a ride with anyone. Will check out Lyft too when the time comes. So thanks again for those who helped to answer my questions! 

Edited by lensonlife
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, lensonlife said:

For those of you following, I was able to book two rooms at the Hampton Inn Cruise Port North for 6/28 @ $179.67 each- includes of taxes. I ran a quick Uber XL quote and it came up at near $35 

Check your figures ASAP.

No way you get an Uber XL at that price for that 25 mile trip. I just ran it thru uber estimate: $30 for pool, $35 for X, $68 for XL. I think you misread the second figure as XL. (Don't sweat it, I kept mistaking the pool cost for X when the former was first launched. Just be prepared for the realistic cost).

• Like 1

Check with SAS, QLS, MJS, Go Airport and other shuttle companies often suggested on this board to see if they pick up at your hotel.  Fare to PO M should be about $15 per person.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Check with SAS, QLS, MJS, Go Airport and other shuttle companies often suggested on this board to see if they pick up at your hotel.  Fare to PO M should be about $15 per person.

Don't most of those have a catchment area of within three miles of FLL? Hotel in question is 4.4 miles from FLL via US1, 5.4 via I-95. Might be able to take the hotel shuttle back to FLL and catch one of the above from there. But transferring luggage for six off and on is quite a chore just to save a bit.

You’re right! It was for an X and not an XL- so it would nearly be a break even with the All Stars- who sent me a code after I’d posted here (it only reduced the fare by $12). The hotel had mentioned that some guests used SAS. Appreciate that you noted my error. I’m moving 100mph this week per usual and ready for a vacation! 😁

Edited by lensonlife

$167 seems very high for an airport Hampton Inn in off season.

I'd bet you can get a nicer hotel on 17th Street for the same amount the end of June.

That's not a great rate for June.  I'd watch rates and bet you can get something at that hotel closer in more in the $129 range.

6 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

I just looked on Hotwire and the hotels are cheap for your dates.  The Riverside on Las Olas is $81 a night, the oceanfront Sonesta was $121.

I would keep looking.

I just checked out your two suggestions and ran a quote- there was a total savings of $20 (not per room, but per a tentative reservation for two basic rooms). That said, breakfast is for a fee (x6) and it also looks like they may not offer a free shuttle from the airport. Sonesta was significantly more and again, no breakfast or shuttle. Also, we were looking for something with shopping nearby for incidentals.