Dining Room Lunch on Embarkation Day

denmarks

3 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

One of the dining rooms will be open from 12:00-1:30 on Embarkation day. Just check the Patter to see which one.

It is open to anyone.

Times (at least on the Grand) were revised to 11:30 - 1:00 earlier this year, including our most recent in April.

• Thanks 1

Once you are onboard immediately look for which MDR is open. Very likely it will be the one that is partially used for Club Class, deck 6 midship.

Don't worry about the Patter. And for sure never ask a crew member which MDR is open. They will always tell you to just go up to the buffet. 

In Alaska this past summer on both Island and Golden most days the MDR was open for lunch the hours were 11:30 to 1:00. But at least one day on Island it was 12:00 to 1:30. And embarking in Whittier I was in the first group to board at 12:30, took my carryons up to my cabin, then went back down to deck 6 and was admitted to the MDR. Didn't notice how soon after they shut the doors. And speaking of doors--it is possible the only door that will be open is the one marked for Club Class. Was that way on my last three cruises. But everyone who turned up was admitted.

2 hours ago, In Toronto said:

I love to have embarkation lunch in the MDR.  Nice glass of white wine with it and I am all set for my cruise.  Anyone have the menu for this lunch?

Courtesy CanadianBurger's live thread from Star Princess last week:

E27C7C39-57C2-4748-ADA3-F5C3FF02C2F2.jpe

Menu much reduced since last year. Used to be a small charcuterie plate appetizer, pasta fagioli soup, and salmon and chicken cacciatore entrees. Plus apple tart and cherry trifle as well as the souffle for dessert.

Interesting that Princess ships have different embarkation menus. We just came back from Alaska on the Coral, and I had a delicious salmon entree along with the avocado/shrimp appetizer and orange soufflé. I believe we were able to choose from the “old” menu fishywood referred to. Everything was yummy😋 

On 5/14/2019 at 6:51 PM, fishywood said:

Menu much reduced since last year. Used to be a small charcuterie plate appetizer, pasta fagioli soup, and salmon and chicken cacciatore entrees. Plus apple tart and cherry trifle as well as the souffle for dessert.

We were on the Pacific on Sunday for a BVE and they had that "old" menu.

Guess it's still available...depending on the ship.

We too had the traditional menu on the Royal last week - I had the salmon and DH had the beef tenderloin. We still had the cold cut appetizer and avocado/shrimp appetizer as well as the same salad and soup options we have had before. And of course the orange souffle which is the best way to start out any cruise!

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 3:19 PM, fishywood said:

. And for sure never ask a crew member which MDR is open. They will always tell you to just go up to the buffet. 

I

I have never had a crew member tell me to just go to the buffet.  How many times has that happened to you?😃

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

I have never had a crew member tell me to just go to the buffet.  How many times has that happened to you?😃

Although we have not experienced this in the past couple of years, this used to be a common occurrence. I think I began to note the change once Princess implemented the Bon Voyage Experience and thus created a more high profile of the dining room lunch on embarkation day. But there really was a time when it was the best kept secret around if you weren't in the know or privy to the great information here at Cruise Critic. And yes, back then if you boarded and asked about dining options you were sent up to the buffet. We even had instances where we were at the door of the dining room and they were still trying to route us away. That just doesn't seem to happen anymore, but I can only assume they staff it differently now and aren't as concerned about having more guests than they can handle which may have been the issue in the past.

10 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

They usually just tell me that the dining room is closed and lunch is served in the buffet.

The last time, they had an employee at the elevator telling people the dining room was closed. I went anyway and it was open.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Husky61 said:

I have asked crew members several times which dining room is open, and all they say is, "the Lido deck is open for lunch." They will look straight into your eyes and tell you no dining room is open. At least 8 to 10 times. Then I  quit asking.

Jim

On 5/14/2019 at 2:56 PM, denmarks said:

Is a dining room open for lunch on the Grand Princess on embarkation day? Is it available but limited to certain people?

Been 50/50 for us.  Sometimes they close it early, sometimes they have PreCruise activities or private parties.  Also, if BV group is too large they may turn you away.  Worth a try.  Good luck!

4 hours ago, jasbo49 said:

I have asked crew members several times which dining room is open, and all they say is, "the Lido deck is open for lunch." They will look straight into your eyes and tell you no dining room is open. At least 8 to 10 times. Then I  quit asking.

Jim

Yup. We don't ask, we just check out the dining rooms. On once cruise, we were chatting with the Cruise Director and commented that we were off to the dining room for lunch. He insisted that in all his years with Princess he had never seen the dining room open for lunch on embarkation day. It was open. Only once in a few dozen cruises have we found the MDR closed. There was a private function.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jasbo49 said:

Jim

Same for me, at least 6-8 times.  Most recently they had a staffer standing in the elevator lobby one left turn away from the clearly open dining room firmly telling anyone who asked "go to Lido deck for lunch".  Maybe it only happens to the two of us 😂   

• Like 1