Our life on the Edge, 28 April 2019 TA, some photos & video

Silkroad

5 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I never even looked at the menu😂 I guess I’ll need to check it out next time...

Jumping in with a question, not caught up at all;) 

Did you hear anything from the people that stayed in the forward facing oceanview and noise at night? My DW read a review or two that mentioned the rooms are over a spot the crew parties late at night making it difficult to sleep. 

What I have read so far has been great. I learned how much work these reviews are this year:)

20 minutes ago, SharonK said:

We always look at the menu because we like to try different ones. The lemon basilade sounds like it would be a favorite for me.

We had intended to try some different ones, especially after reading Vt's & Mike P's reviews of the one's they tried. I think we lost that plan because it was so difficult to find seats in the Martini Bar during the cocktail hours (our cruise was fully booked). Next time😋🍹

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Jumping in with a question, not caught up at all;) 

Did you hear anything from the people that stayed in the forward facing oceanview and noise at night? My DW read a review or two that mentioned the rooms are over a spot the crew parties late at night making it difficult to sleep. 

What I have read so far has been great. I learned how much work these reviews are this year:)

Thanks☺️ I found your review very helpful, so I appreciate your kind words. 

The people who were in that forward facing cabin (9100) said they really liked their cabin, and didn't mention any noise issues.

We did meet another couple booked in a forward cabin (but not forward facing) that was located directly above The Club. They had significant issues with noise during rehearsals & performances. I think they were in a deck 6 cabin, and looking at the deck plans, I'd guess they were in an IV cabin on the port side. Hope this helps🙂

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks☺️ I found your review very helpful, so I appreciate your kind words. 

The people who were in that forward facing cabin (9100) said they really liked their cabin, and didn't mention any noise issues.

We did meet another couple booked in a forward cabin (but not forward facing) that was located directly above The Club. They had significant issues with noise during rehearsals & performances. I think they were in a deck 6 cabin, and looking at the deck plans, I'd guess they were in an IV cabin on the port side. Hope this helps🙂

That is spot on:) the room on the Apex we were looking to book happened to be 9100:) For the 3 of us it will be 340 total or 16 per person per night to upgrade. Having sailed a forward facing oceanview before that just had a ledge to the port hole behind the bed, which we loved, this layout is definitely worth that and blows the other room away:)

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

That is spot on:) the room on the Apex we were looking to book happened to be 9100:) For the 3 of us it will be 340 total or 16 per person per night. Having sailed a forward facing oceanview before that just had a ledge to the port hole behind the bed, which we loved, this layout is definitely worth that and blows the other room away:)

There was a review on the cabin sticky for 8103, also forward facing oceanview. From the review, which was from the 12/9 inaugural cruise:

"There was a major noise problem each night from midnight to 2AM. There is an open area below the room under the “winch only” platform. It turns out that is where staff/crew go to have fun and enjoy themselves. I don’t wish to deny anyone the right to have fun, but it caused us to lose sleep and guests should not be subjected to this kind of noise. After three nights of this noise issue we reported it to Kristie, the Captain’s Club Hostess who worked with guest relations to move us to a room on Deck 12. "

My guess is that they moved those nightly loud get togethers. I haven't seen that issue since. I like those cabins too and think they would make a nice option for a family, with the increased space. The window is amazing!

The other one on the sticky with a noisy cabin was 6115, a 1B (round porthole balcony) in the front of the ship by the theater:

"Lots of noise during daytime from the Theater when they rehearse and every time they have a show in the night. Bathroom and sleeping area is vibrating according to the music played. Not good if you need it to be quiet. If you are a light sleeper and like to go to bed early, you are in trouble...... "

I probably wouldn't have thought of that when booking that cabin.

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

After reading about noise issues over the Club and theater, I'm a bit worried again about our Deck 7 SV over EDEN. 

I will post on the new SV thread seeking more info about music and noise..esp foe the late show there

25 minutes ago, hcat said:

After reading about noise issues over the Club and theater, I'm a bit worried again about our Deck 7 SV over EDEN. 

I will post on the new SV thread seeking more info about music and noise..esp foe the late show there

Our friends were in a deck 7 S1 corner aft and had no noise issues at all on their balcony. They loved the location. I have read reviews of 2 SV's on 7 that reported no noise or other issues with Eden (7315 and 7313). They  both liked their deck 7 balconies. I changed mine from deck 10 to deck 7 yesterday (for the larger size) after doing some research. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Sorry hcat, I forgot to mention that during our cabin crawl, I specifically asked the occupants of SV 8314 if they had any noise issues from Eden. They hadn’t had any issues. They’ve just returned from their journey, and posted a cabin review on the cabin sticky yesterday. I didn’t notice noise issues in their review, but I’ll look again. BTW, in response to my question about the space between the bed and the veranda door, they’ve kindly emailed a few of their cabin photos to me, some of which may also be in their  cabin review. I’ll post those additional photos and comments later this morning😊

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

Thanks for S V updates..

.we are not late night people other than the deck parties, so hopefully we will have nice  balcony eves...watching the sea and wake!

And some sunsets...

We get up very early so hoping for  nice sunrises too!

• Like 2

Here are four more photos of SV 8314 that the occupants of the cabin kindly provided. See post #45 for the photos of SV 8314 I took during our cabin crawl. You can see how much space there is between the bed and the veranda door. They estimate that the distance between the bed and the veranda door was 3-4 feet. As you can see, they had ample room to move the desk chair into that space. 

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2441.JPG

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Silkroad said:

I recognize him because he’s one of the few people aboard who could do a handstand on a piece of vibrating furniture, and I think that is his little girl...see the little blonde head?

I believe you are correct.   She is a cutie.   We also met Benjamin (and his Mom) the son of the F&B Manager.   The staff in Eden all seemed to love Benjamin.

Joe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hcat said:

2 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Sorry hcat, I forgot to mention that during our cabin crawl, I specifically asked the occupants of SV 8314 if they had any noise issues from Eden. They hadn’t had any issues. They’ve just returned from their journey, and posted a cabin review on the cabin sticky yesterday. I didn’t notice noise issues in their review, but I’ll look again. BTW, in response to my question about the space between the bed and the veranda door, they’ve kindly emailed a few of their cabin photos to me, some of which may also be in their  cabin review. I’ll post those additional photos and comments later this morning😊

We had no noise issues in SV8314 from Eden.   In fact when we were in the room we heard no noise from anywhere.   Cabin was very quiet.    We could see the lights from Eden on the ships wake at night which was quite pretty (and unexpected).    We would book an SV on Edge class ships again with no concerns.

Joe

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was the day we had lunch at Le grande Bistro, afternoon cocktails on the Magic Carpet, and dinner at FIne Cut Grill. I know. Insane, right? We paced ourselves, and took even more art walks than usual😜

Lunch at Le Grande Bistro was lovely. The food and service were excellent. Only one thing marred our enjoyment of our meal. During our meal, the pleasant music from the Grand Plaza was replaced with trivia announcements by one of the activities staff. These announcements were LOUD, far too loud IMO. They made it impossible for us to enjoy our private conversation, even though we had a window table (the bistro isn't very large). We did realize that perhaps 2/3 of our fellow passengers were 10-25 years older than DH & myself, so it was possible the activities staff had been besieged with requests to pump up the volume of the announcements.

Unbeknownst to Celebrity, this meal was our private celebration of both our 28th wedding anniversary, and our honeymoon-on-a-shoestring in Britain & France, during which we stayed a week in Paris, lunching in little bistros all over the city, and sharing room picnics for dinner😊☺️ We didn't let the loud announcements ruin our quiet celebration, and we intend to return to Le Grande Bistro next year (celebrating our 29th anniversary) but we do hope Celebrity addresses the well known issue of loud activity in the Grand Plaza sometimes affecting the ambiance in the dining venues above.

Edited by Silkroad

I'm posting two photos of my amazing Coq au Vin to show you the mound of potatoes I tackled😋 DH enjoyed his fish too. We also had starters and dessert🤣 After lunch, we strolled off to burn some calories....

20190504_125842.jpg

20190504_125849.jpg

20190504_130108.jpg

38 minutes ago, JoePDX said:

I believe you are correct.   She is a cutie.   We also met Benjamin (and his Mom) the son of the F&B Manager.   The staff in Eden all seemed to love Benjamin.

Joe

Benjamin's mom, Or, used to be the Maitre 'D in Blu on Reflection before moving to HR on Summit where she and Murat became engaged. It was wonderful seeing her again and getting to meet Benjamin.

• Like 3

We had approached the Magic Carpet several times by now, but always when it was closed, full, cold, or raining. This was a day during which we had both beautiful clear skies, and cloudy, rainy weather. We found seats during a pleasantly sunny period, but a short time later wind and rain drove most people away. We were seated at a table close to the ship, as the perimeter seats had been taken. We enjoyed our drinks before leaving to resume our calorie-burning art walks. The drinks and service were fine. We thought it was a fun space, but we wouldn't want to be there on a cold, blustery day, especially for dinner. 

20190504_164719.jpg

20190504_164822.jpg

20190504_163342b.jpg

Edited by Silkroad
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Our friends were in a deck 7 S1 corner aft and had no noise issues at all on their balcony. They loved the location. I have read reviews of 2 SV's on 7 that reported no noise or other issues with Eden (7315 and 7313). They  both liked their deck 7 balconies. I changed mine from deck 10 to deck 7 yesterday (for the larger size) after doing some research. 🙂

Hi VT...are you saying that the SV cabins on deck seven are larger than all the other SV cabins?  I must have missed something, so please enlighten me.  Ours for next year in Europe is on deck 11, center, with firewall.  All the SV cabins are sold out, but I am not looking to move, as I like deck 11...just curious!

This was the day we had lunch at Le grande Bistro, afternoon cocktails on the Magic Carpet, and dinner at FIne Cut Grill. I know. Insane, right? We paced ourselves, and took even more art walks than usual😜

Lunch at Le Grande Bistro was lovely. The food and service were excellent. Only one thing marred our enjoyment of our meal. During our meal, the pleasant music from the Grand Plaza was replaced with trivia announcements by one of the activities staff. These announcements were LOUD, far too loud IMO. They made it impossible for us to enjoy our private conversation, even though we had a window table (the bistro isn't very large). We did realize that perhaps 2/3 of our fellow passengers were 10-25 years older than DH & myself, so it was possible the activities staff had been besieged with requests to pump up the volume of the announcements.

Unbeknownst to Celebrity, this meal was our private celebration of both our 28th wedding anniversary, and our honeymoon-on-a-shoestring in Britain & France, during which we stayed a week in Paris, lunching in little bistros all over the city, and sharing room picnics for dinner😊☺️ We didn't let the loud announcements ruin our quiet celebration, and we intend to return to Le Grande Bistro next year (celebrating our 29th anniversary) but we do hope Celebrity addresses the well known issue of loud activity in the Grand Plaza sometimes affecting the ambiance in the dining venues above.

Happy Anniversary...let the good times roll!   Hope you take some nice photos for your memories.

We did notice that the  activity staff's directed traditional trivia was held in the Grand  Foyer ( every seat taken)  and was quite loud up into Cafe Baccio..our afternoon hangout. ( sound travel upward)  

The Club which is closed in seems a much better location for this  daily activity...no idea why it wasn't used????

• Like 1

I'm posting two photos of my amazing Coq au Vin to show you the mound of potatoes I tackled😋 DH enjoyed his fish too. We also had starters and dessert🤣 After lunch, we strolled off to burn some calories....

20190504_125842.jpg

20190504_125849.jpg

20190504_130108.jpg

Pretty nice for lunch!

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

Hi VT...are you saying that the SV cabins on deck seven are larger than all the other SV cabins?  I must have missed something, so please enlighten me.  Ours for next year in Europe is on deck 11, center, with firewall.  All the SV cabins are sold out, but I am not looking to move, as I like deck 11...just curious!

I saw some pictures last year with the flared firewall on each side of the two center SV's that looks like it makes the two center cabin balconies bigger than average on 7, 8 and maybe slightly bigger on 9 and the cabins on either side of the center two cabins on 7 and 8 look smaller than average to me.  The rest look the same and good-sized, but maybe not as big as the balconies as those 4 cabins (7315, 7312, 8323, 8314).

When I saw this picture with balcony furniture (I added the cabin numbers), it really looked like that is a reality. If you look at 7312 with 2 loungers and plenty of room for chairs and compare it to 7310 and 7313 - it looks like there isn't much more room than for the two chairs and table. I saw a picture of 7313 and it indeed does look narrower (probably same depth).  Also, if you look at the white wall next to the slider, you can see the difference in the width to gauge the width of the balcony. If you look at deck 10, 11, 12, the SVs all look about the same width and are the normal-sized ones (9 center may be a bit bigger and the two next to the center ones a tiny bit smaller - it appears that there is still a bit of a flare in the firewall on 9). 

Anyway, I think 7315 and 7312 likely have the largest balconies, with 8323 and 8314 next and probably 9311 and 9312 a little bigger than average.  I realize that the view won't be as nice down that low, but having 3 deck 7 aft and 1 deck 8 aft reviews that didn't have noise issues, I decided to go with the larger balcony. Party central!! 🙂

image.png.65d7992664784ffb138ad128b1d961cc.png

Edited by vtcruising

26 minutes ago, hcat said:

Happy Anniversary...let the good times roll!   Hope you take some nice photos for your memories.

Thank you😊 We didn’t even think to ask our waiter to take our photo in Le Grande Bistro, but we do have many photos together (taken on this journey ).

Edited by Silkroad

3 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

True. Especially for someone who usually has a large salad or soup & salad for lunch😜 

When we had lunch at LGB, we had to plan ahead - early light breakfast and dinner at 9:30. After the 2 lunches we had there (my DH and I had exactly what you two had on one of the days), someone had to roll us out. Too much food - but oh so good! 🙂

4 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Anyway, I think 7315 and 7312 likely have the largest balconies, with 8323 and 8314 next and probably 9311 and 9312 a little bigger than average.  I realize that the view won't be as nice down that low, but having 3 deck 7 aft and 1 deck 8 aft reviews that didn't have noise issues, I decided to go with the larger balcony. Party central!! 🙂

This is an excellent reason for your move from deck 10 to deck 7, Marilyn, but you don’t fool me. I think your real reason is to beat the rest of us to the best seat at the Martini Bar😜 The race is on, ladies😂 Marilyn has a one deck advantage, but I think I can pass her in the stairwell.....