Merged Topics - Server Errors

Change should be for the better not for the sake of change.

I think the log in/log out issues should have been a dealbreaker for the change in forum software. That should have been seen in testing and worked out before switching.

Don’t know why they changed. The old platform seemed fine. Changing platforms for such a high trafficked site was bound to have issues. There is a reason why airlines and cruise lines tend to stick with legacy backends. I hope they didn’t switch because they thought the photo gallery was a great new feature. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I think the log in/log out issues should have been a dealbreaker for the change in forum software. That should have been seen in testing and worked out before switching.

Don’t know why they changed. The old platform seemed fine. Changing platforms for such a high trafficked site was bound to have issues. There is a reason why airlines and cruise lines tend to stick with legacy backends. I hope they didn’t switch because they thought the photo gallery was a great new feature. Ugh.

I couldn't agree more, especially  about the photo gallery feature & I don't think we're alone in feeling this way.  This site has always worked because of the users... people willing to take the time to share their experience & knowledge with others...  without those experienced users being able to easily access the site, well??    

CC seems pretty much back to normal today - only real change I see is just 25 posts per page, instead of the previous 40.  I'm still having the "double-loading", though.  I think the thing to do is just stay away from CC on the weekends.

I’ve noticed a few improvements since the outage when composing a post.

Now when using Select All it highlights everything & I can now actually make words bold, italicized and copy text.  It was frustrating not having such widely used functions available since implementing the new system in October 2018.

Unfortunately when highlighting a word or sentence I still cannot change the color to emphasize it.

You should be able to change the background color

What browser are you using?  or are you mobile?

1 minute ago, Astro Flyer said:

I’ve noticed a few improvements since the outage when composing a post.

Now when using Select All it highlights everything & I can now actually make words bold, italicized and copy text.  It was frustrating not having such widely used functions available since implementing the new system in October 2018.

Unfortunately when highlighting a word or sentence I still cannot change the color to emphasize it.

9 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

You should be able to change the background color

What browser are you using?  or are you mobile?

Mobile using Safari on an iPad & iPhone.

I haven’t tried adding a colored background but wanted to change the font color to highlight a few words or a sentence.  I can highlight text, click on a color from the chart available by clicking the A at the top of a reply but the color remains the same as before.

Prior to the new system I was able to change text color on selected words but not now. 

Edited by Astro Flyer

6 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Mobile using Safari on an iPad & iPhone.

I haven’t tried adding a colored background but wanted to change the font color to highlight a few words or a sentence.  I can highlight text, click on a color from the chart available by clicking the A at the top of a reply but the color remains the same as before.

I think this may be a function of the way the mobile safari makes and holds a selection.  As far as I can tell anyway.  Once you tap the icon to choose color, the selected area is deselected therefore there is nothing to change the color for. 

The way that this function will work as intended on a mobile device would be to choose the color before typing. 

You are correct that highlighting already typed content will not work.

Note:  I am not sure if this is true for android users on their browser as I do not have one to test.  

1 minute ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I think this may be a function of the way the mobile safari makes and holds a selection.  As far as I can tell anyway.  Once you tap the icon to choose color, the selected area is deselected therefore there is nothing to change the color for. 

The way that this function will work as intended on a mobile device would be to choose the color before typing. 

You are correct that highlighting already typed content will not work.

Note:  I am not sure if this is true for android users on their browser as I do not have one to test.  

Thanks Jenn...will now use your recommended procedure. 👍

Prior to the change I could hold highlighted text on my mobile devices & use the chart to change the color.  I can see that’s no longer an option & this old dog can learn a new trick. 😉  Appreciate your explanation about the workaround for the previous procedure that is no longer available on mobile devices.

Just now, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks Jenn...will now use your recommended procedure. 👍

Prior to the change I could hold highlighted text on my mobile devices & use the chart to change the color.  I can see that’s no longer an option & this old dog can learn a new trick. 😉  Appreciate your explanation about the workaround for the previous procedure that is no longer available on mobile devices.

On the past platform, were you able to do this on safari or was it  via the app or both?  Just curious.  I will admit I never tried changing font or highlight via mobile safari in the past so I don't have a "It used to work like XYZ" experience

1 minute ago, CC Help Jenn said:

On the past platform, were you able to do this on safari or was it  via the app or both?  Just curious.  I will admit I never tried changing font or highlight via mobile safari in the past so I don't have a "It used to work like XYZ" experience

Hold highlighted text to change the color was previously available using Safari on my Apple mobile devices which are what I use for nearly all of my posts.

I don’t recall if that was available when using the CC app which I still miss to more easily access threads I’ve participated on.  The one app downside was not being able to remove threads that I posted on but didn’t want to see again.

10 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Hold highlighted text to change the color was previously available using Safari on my Apple mobile devices which are what I use for nearly all of my posts.

I don’t recall if that was available when using the CC app which I still miss to more easily access threads I’ve participated on.  The one app downside was not being able to remove threads that I posted on but didn’t want to see again.

Thanks for the info, I will pass it along to see if the ability can be added to a future update.

3 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Thanks for the info, I will pass it along to see if the ability can be added to a future update.

Jenn: if you haven't had a chance to see it yet, there's a new thread from yesterday in this forum (which I've linked below) in which a number of folks have put together a list of existing glitches, bugs and suggested improvements.  I know that some of these are known issues, but it would be great if we had some idea of whether they are being worked on or can't be fixed.  Thanks so much!  Here's the thread:

• Thanks 1

I wish there was a simple solution so we could all enjoy our previous level of access to these great, knowledge sharing boards; however, for now, we have to take what we can get.  Not happy with the new forum though.   

CC Hosts/Mods... do you know the new format/platform the IT/new Cruisecritic site is being utilized?  Is it the size of the servers? the type of formatting/ HTML program codes/ Word Press design..... that's causing the problems or something else? 

It just doesn't seem to be working well enough to support Cruise Critic forums as a whole. 

Sorry, not trying to be nasty or anything but I do understand the frustration of others and agree with the sentiments. 

Best wishes in your attempts to correct the issues. 

9 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Thanks for the highly detailed update.

9 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Sorry!  You caught us testing something and I forgot to delete this reply -- feel free to ignore it

I guess my subtle dig over the continued lack of information about what is going on was just too subtle.  Let me be more blunt.  You really need to open up about what is going on before we decide it's just not worth wasting time here anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I guess my subtle dig over the continued lack of information about what is going on was just too subtle.  Let me be more blunt.  You really need to open up about what is going on before we decide it's just not worth wasting time here anymore.

It was nicely done and very clear to me at least what you meant. I totally agree with you that more information should be forthcoming. I was very surprised, when we had two more recurrences of the server problem  right after it supposedly had been fixed, that no one from CC explained what was going on. 

I think that companies best deal with problems like this by being upfront with their customers and communicating with them. People are more willing to be patient if they are informed about what is going on, what’s being done to address it, and when it reasonably is expected to be fixed.  

The inaccessibility, repeatedly now, of the major cruise line boards is a big problem and a very frustrating one for users. That frustration is exacerbated by a lack of information. 

• Like 4

It was nicely done and very clear to me at least what you meant. I totally agree with you that more information should be forthcoming. I was very surprised, when we had two more recurrences of the server problem  right after it supposedly had been fixed, that no one from CC explained what was going on. 

I think that companies best deal with problems like this by being upfront with their customers and communicating with them. People are more willing to be patient if they are informed about what is going on, what’s being done to address it, and when it reasonably is expected to be fixed.  

The inaccessibility, repeatedly now, of the major cruise line boards is a big problem and a very frustrating one for users. That frustration is exacerbated by a lack of information. 

The CC people we communicate with may not know the details of what is going on. That they are community people not tech people. That the tech people that run the servers are at the hosting company, not at CC. That Laura and Jenn report the issues to the hosting company and the hosting company reports back they are working on fixing the issues.