CHICAGOPAUL LIVE!!!! Our First ALASKA CRUISE on the ECLIPSE!!! May 19th Sailing

chicagopaul

Sorry for the delay everyone. It’s hard for me to look at my phone to write when I have the views that I do right now. 

Dinner was again in Murano last night. I have to say the staff in Murano this cruise has been fantastic. They’re obviously almost always great, but this cruise they’ve been superb. Our second night in there, you would’ve thought we’ve been there for weeks. 

Last night we had the lamb. I always say the lamb is the unsung hero of their menu. Most people don’t think to order it but it really is great. 

9AA907AA-D22A-45AA-B6EA-E7CD658E2B20.thumb.jpeg.8486c3ad164d0b3038a594054a601c79.jpeg

F107E1DF-6182-4846-89C3-AD9B62DB020A.thumb.jpeg.692a9fb35040b1f1e54efe2ab0d66048.jpeg

08691DA7-2334-4A63-9D94-841B0F2BD572.thumb.jpeg.1427467b7efb010660c5eb55616e824f.jpeg

7C339BFE-0F4F-48DA-92CE-8F28CC4E3B01.thumb.jpeg.d8513a3e6a9c3b8d751664a7f1a0a2db.jpeg

59C1C08F-C4F8-4EE0-A8B3-BF03194D6DB3.thumb.jpeg.ff22cb0578f5f6988a82ac64cbefa167.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dflawyer said:

mrsgoggins, thanks for your posting. I have 2 questions for you (or whoever else may know). First, are you saying that the ship did not go close to the Hubbard Glacier, or were you booked on the Hubbard Glacier Wilderness Excursion boat and that was cancelled? Second, did you get early check in at the Marriott's Delta? My cruise, June 30-July 7, returns to Vancouver at 7 am and my flight home is 11 pm, so looking for a hotel for 8 am - 8 pm if such a thing exists. 

Sorry, it’s all the travelling that’s fogged my brain - I should have said that we did not get to see Dawes Glacier.

We were off the ship by 10 am and at the Delta hotel by 10.30 am and they said they didn’t have a room ready in the category we had booked, but for $40 CDN we could have an upgraded room, on a high floor, corner room with great views, so we took that.  However, the next morning, Sunday, as we came back from breakfast at around 8.30 am, I noticed a man at check in off a cruise ship being given a room, so I guess that’s the luck of the draw.  The Delta on West Hastings is a great location.

I see that you have been given some recommendations to try for a day room, but if I were doing it again with such a late flight, I would consider booking a day room at the Fairmont, which is on airport.  If you google Vancouver Fairmont day rooms, you can get a price for 4, 6 or 8 hours.  Not cheap of course!

Chicago Paul, sorry for gate crashing your thread but I doubt that you will mind since you excel at providing information yourself.

Sorry that you did not get Alejandro as CD but hopefully his replacement is more than up to the job.  I know that I’m far from the only one who thinks he’s very special though.

Edited by mrsgoggins
Correction

16 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I see that you have been given some recommendations to try for a day room, but if I were doing it again with such a late flight, I would consider booking a day room at the Fairmont, which is on airport.  If you google Vancouver Fairmont day rooms, you can get a price for 4, 6 or 8 hours.  Not cheap of course!

Both websites I mentioned do in fact list the Fairmont Vancouver Airport for day rooms. And, I agree, although costly, it certainly wins for convenience!

Hello Everyone. My apologies for the minimal posting today. We had great views and time in Icy Strait so I was a bit preoccupied. Internet tonight is running very slow. I’m going to attempt to post a bunch of photos but it may have to wait a bit! 

2 hours ago, chicagopaul said:

Hello Everyone. My apologies for the minimal posting today. We had great views and time in Icy Strait so I was a bit preoccupied. Internet tonight is running very slow. I’m going to attempt to post a bunch of photos but it may have to wait a bit! 

Take your time enjoy the views. 

Joyce

Edited by reallyhooked
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, chicagopaul said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what you did in Icy Strait.  We don't currently have an excursion booked for that port when we go in August, and I can't decide if I want to book one or just get off the ship and explore.

• Like 1

Regarding Icy Strait Point we did not book an excursion. There really wasn’t a ton for us to choose from. A few people we’ve talked to on the ship said they did the whale watching tour which they enjoyed. They saw about 5 whales. But more so just tails and partial bodies, not as much as some were hoping. 

We know now some people who did the zip line as well. Though that looked a little too fast and crazy for me. 

We just walked around. We followed the trail along the water which takes you into the main town. It is about a 1.5mile walk. Or you can buy tickets for a shuttle. The walk was very pleasant. Someone we met on board said on the walk they saw two whales. We weren’t as lucky but we did catch two bald eagles on the way back to the ship, literally right next to the ship. One looked as though it was sitting in a nest and the other was perched upright looking ever so stoic. I wish I had a proper zoom lens! 

• Like 3

Thanks for all the great pictures and information. If possible, please let us know if you hear anything about the Hubbard Glacier Wilderness Excursion boat. We booked that excursion for our similar Celebrity Eclipse cruise starting June 30, but no one has ever given any feedback reporting on that.     

5 hours ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

Thank you for posting a pic of the Millie leaving ISP! 😍 I always find it hard to get a good pic of the ship I am currently cruising on. I did manage to get one from the top of Mt Roberts in Juneau.

😁

388762D1-2BF7-4C93-B754-A9131877398A.jpeg

Are you planning on doing a live or review? Sailing on the Millie Aug. 2