Two week cruise 9 weeks after rotator cuff surgery

Imamom

As a shoulder surgery survivor,  I will recommend the bed support that Brookstone sells.  It has a adjustable back rest and two arm rests.  I had one of them when I graduated from the recliner.  One more piece of baggage, but might be worth it.

22 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

As a shoulder surgery survivor,  I will recommend the bed support that Brookstone sells.  It has a adjustable back rest and two arm rests.  I had one of them when I graduated from the recliner.  One more piece of baggage, but might be worth it.

I’m not sure they carry it anymore. A very good idea. Maybe I’ll get one somewhere else. https://www.brookstone.com/search?q=Bed+pillow+&x=0&y=0

Hi all. Here’s my current update. Holland America doesn’t allow recliners or hospital beds. They will supply a bed wedge and extra pillows. Thanks for all of your very helpful suggestions. I’ll be more prepared for handicap cruising for future cruises, should I need it. I now know about calling their special line and filling out the accessibility form. I found other services that we can use...like a gadget to make hearing on the phone better and enlarged print on our daily schedules, etc.  There were recliners available in Seattle for around $250 for 15 days. Just not allowed on HA. Here’s what I’m doing and I hope it works. I’ve ordered a Zero-Gravity chair (like for your yard) from Amazon that should arrive tomorrow...in a box of course. I’m going to put a luggage tag on the box and check it in like a piece of luggage. It will weigh about 35# in the box. Think they’ll let it on through and get it to my cabin door, along with our suitcases?

2 hours ago, Imamom said:

Hi all. Here’s my current update. Holland America doesn’t allow recliners or hospital beds. They will supply a bed wedge and extra pillows. Thanks for all of your very helpful suggestions. I’ll be more prepared for handicap cruising for future cruises, should I need it. I now know about calling their special line and filling out the accessibility form. I found other services that we can use...like a gadget to make hearing on the phone better and enlarged print on our daily schedules, etc.  There were recliners available in Seattle for around $250 for 15 days. Just not allowed on HA. Here’s what I’m doing and I hope it works. I’ve ordered a Zero-Gravity chair (like for your yard) from Amazon that should arrive tomorrow...in a box of course. I’m going to put a luggage tag on the box and check it in like a piece of luggage. It will weigh about 35# in the box. Think they’ll let it on through and get it to my cabin door, along with our suitcases?

It's worth a try.  Worst case scenario they say no.  However with the bed wedge and the inflatable leg bolster I gave you a link to, you would have the same effect on the bed.

I hope you are able to enjoy the trip.  I think a wedge pillow will help. I hope your husband understands how much he will need to help on the trip. 

I'm in a similar (but less severe) situation as I broke the wrist on my dominant hand near the end of a solo cruise in May. I'm scheduled to go as a chaperon on an educational trip along with my granddaughter in a few weeks. The cast is supposed to come off two weeks before we depart (assuming the X-ray is good) and I have no idea how functional my hand/arm will be by the time I leave. It was a compound fracture that needed surgery to insert the plate so there was trauma to the soft tissues and nerves as well as any atrophy from the 7 weeks in a splint or cast.

The doctor said I should be fine to travel, but that doesn't mean the hand will be easy to use. 

There are so many things that are hard to do with one hand. I was traveling solo when I broke my wrist and had to ask ship mates to help with tying my shoes. The room steward helped me pack. I watched some videos while in the hospital and managed to sort of learn to tie them with one hand for the trip home (taking about 5 times as long as I would with two hands). Menu choices at the airport and on the plane dictated partly by "can I eat that with one hand."

My biggest concern for the upcoming trip is being able to put on a bra. That and opening tight bottle caps are the two things that I haven't been able to find a way to do with one hand plus whatever assistance my injured arm can lend. For now, my husband has to do the fastening but he won't be on the trip. I may not have enough strength, flexibility and dexterity in the recovering hand by the time of the trip for that.

2 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

Rather than bringing baggies for icing, you might bring a rubber ice bag - less prone to leaking. You can even get one with a strap to hold it in place:

https://smile.amazon.com/Koo-Care-Relief-Therapy-Reusable-Shoulder/dp/B01AGEFVQ2/

or you can bring a large scarf to hold it in place.

Thanks. I actually did order and receive a highly rated one from Amazon. Bringing  bags too. 😊

3 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

I hope you are able to enjoy the trip.  I think a wedge pillow will help. I hope your husband understands how much he will need to help on the trip. 

I'm in a similar (but less severe) situation as I broke the wrist on my dominant hand near the end of a solo cruise in May. I'm scheduled to go as a chaperon on an educational trip along with my granddaughter in a few weeks. The cast is supposed to come off two weeks before we depart (assuming the X-ray is good) and I have no idea how functional my hand/arm will be by the time I leave. It was a compound fracture that needed surgery to insert the plate so there was trauma to the soft tissues and nerves as well as any atrophy from the 7 weeks in a splint or cast.

The doctor said I should be fine to travel, but that doesn't mean the hand will be easy to use. 

There are so many things that are hard to do with one hand. I was traveling solo when I broke my wrist and had to ask ship mates to help with tying my shoes. The room steward helped me pack. I watched some videos while in the hospital and managed to sort of learn to tie them with one hand for the trip home (taking about 5 times as long as I would with two hands). Menu choices at the airport and on the plane dictated partly by "can I eat that with one hand."

My biggest concern for the upcoming trip is being able to put on a bra. That and opening tight bottle caps are the two things that I haven't been able to find a way to do with one hand plus whatever assistance my injured arm can lend. For now, my husband has to do the fastening but he won't be on the trip. I may not have enough strength, flexibility and dexterity in the recovering hand by the time of the trip for that.

Yikes. I wish you well. I do my shoes by leaving them tied, a little looser than normal but not loose. Then I shimmy in and out of them. The bra is a tough one. I guess you’ll need to ask another female chaperone or a kid to help with that. If there’s ever another arm surgery for me in the future, I’m going to get a front fastening bra. So far, I can get my back hooking one on but need someone to unhook it to take it off. Yep, someone will need to open your bottles for you. Good luck. 

12 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

I was traveling solo when I broke my wrist and had to ask ship mates to help with tying my shoes. The room steward helped me pack. I watched some videos while in the hospital and managed to sort of learn to tie them with one hand for the trip home (taking about 5 times as long as I would with two hands).

Try these:

https://www.amazon.com/Lock-Laces-Reflective-Shoelaces-Gray-Storm/dp/B073NWDM2M/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=lace+locks+for+shoes&qid=1559215574&s=gateway&sr=8-13

Easy to install.  Work great.  I use them all the time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

I was traveling solo when I broke my wrist and had to ask ship mates to help with tying my shoes.

I wasn't traveling soon after breaking my arm, but I live alone. I had to get shoes with Velcro fasteners.

BTDT - twice! 

Bra issue: get front clasp/hook bras. You aren't going to be able to hook a back clasp bra for at least 4-5 months post surgery - in fact, that is the triumphant day when you know that this was actually all worth it! Another alternative is to get tank tops with built in bras and have a seamstress open up the surgery shoulder and put velcro in. That way you can just slide it on and fasten it. 

Keep up those exercises. They hurt like the devil, but are worth it in the end. Go up to the gym where they have mats you can use. 

Bring more than one sling. That way if one gets wet, you have a spare. Those big old slings are ungainly, but necessary. 

Pillows: I could never sleep in the recliner, so I used LOTS [like 6!] of pillows. Essentially create a cocoon for yourself, supported on all sides. Your room steward will be able to help with that! If you have favorite pillows from home, bring them. Believe it or not, they can be compressed into vacuum bags and put in the suitcase!! I use the ones that don't require a vacuum cleaner to deflate, just pressure. Check out Container Store. 

Travel Space Saver Bags (Medium to Large). Pack of 8 Bags. Roll-Up Compression Storage (No Vacuum Needed) & Packing Organizers. Perfect for Travel and Home Storage by RoomierLife

Hang in there! Somewhere around the four month mark in rehab, you finally begin to actually think this worked. Getting to that point is a lot of sweat and tears and that's OK.  

Good luck - enjoy what you can - 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, panoramaofthepast said:

BTDT - twice! 

Bra issue: get front clasp/hook bras. You aren't going to be able to hook a back clasp bra for at least 4-5 months post surgery - in fact, that is the triumphant day when you know that this was actually all worth it! Another alternative is to get tank tops with built in bras and have a seamstress open up the surgery shoulder and put velcro in. That way you can just slide it on and fasten it. 

Keep up those exercises. They hurt like the devil, but are worth it in the end. Go up to the gym where they have mats you can use. 

Bring more than one sling. That way if one gets wet, you have a spare. Those big old slings are ungainly, but necessary. 

Pillows: I could never sleep in the recliner, so I used LOTS [like 6!] of pillows. Essentially create a cocoon for yourself, supported on all sides. Your room steward will be able to help with that! If you have favorite pillows from home, bring them. Believe it or not, they can be compressed into vacuum bags and put in the suitcase!! I use the ones that don't require a vacuum cleaner to deflate, just pressure. Check out Container Store. 

Travel Space Saver Bags (Medium to Large). Pack of 8 Bags. Roll-Up Compression Storage (No Vacuum Needed) & Packing Organizers. Perfect for Travel and Home Storage by RoomierLife

Hang in there! Somewhere around the four month mark in rehab, you finally begin to actually think this worked. Getting to that point is a lot of sweat and tears and that's OK.  

Good luck - enjoy what you can - 

Good advice! Thanks! The front hooking bra will be something I will suggest to any woman I know that plans to have shoulder surgery. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all. I wanted to let you know how my cruise went on the Holland America Amsterdam. It went pretty well. I decided to not bring a zero gravity chair. Our room was large enough and I would have appreciated having it. The wedge really did help, although I did miss my recliner during the day as well as the night. Surprisingly, it was put under the mattress and I found that I liked it that way. They’ll put two wedges there if you want but I stuck with one. I had lots of pillows and because the bed was so wide (I swear it was wider than a king!), I could make a recliner with pillows under both arms and under my knees when I felt the need to and still leave room for my husband in the bed. I brought an ice bag, a nice gel bag that never got too hard, and ziplock bags. I never used the ziplock bags. The steward was excellent in bringing a second (larger than the regular one) bucket of ice 2-3 times a day for icing my shoulder. I found that the most comfortable place to sit was in the Crows Nest  at the front of the ship. They have a few chairs there that are padded, are slightly reclined, have a footstool, and best of all...arm rests. I also sat out on our veranda more than my husband because of the reclining chairs that have arm rests. The support of my arm/shoulder was very helpful with pain control. I wore my sling when outside the cabin and wasn’t bumped into once, even in the elevator. People were so considerate. I certainly heard a lot of “shoulder stories “. By the 10th day or so, if there was an empty chair at our table, I would place the sling there and eat with my right hand. Yay! Since we already had the cruise scheduled and paid for, it worked out okay. BUT I would wait until further along in recovery to schedule a cruise if I could. I’m currently at 3 months and wouldn’t go yet. Maybe at 6 months. Thank you all for your tips and stories.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Imamom said:

Hi all. I wanted to let you know how my cruise went on the Holland America Amsterdam. It went pretty well. I decided to not bring a zero gravity chair. Our room was large enough and I would have appreciated having it. The wedge really did help, although I did miss my recliner during the day as well as the night. Surprisingly, it was put under the mattress and I found that I liked it that way. They’ll put two wedges there if you want but I stuck with one. I had lots of pillows and because the bed was so wide (I swear it was wider than a king!), I could make a recliner with pillows under both arms and under my knees when I felt the need to and still leave room for my husband in the bed. I brought an ice bag, a nice gel bag that never got too hard, and ziplock bags. I never used the ziplock bags. The steward was excellent in bringing a second (larger than the regular one) bucket of ice 2-3 times a day for icing my shoulder. I found that the most comfortable place to sit was in the Crows Nest  at the front of the ship. They have a few chairs there that are padded, are slightly reclined, have a footstool, and best of all...arm rests. I also sat out on our veranda more than my husband because of the reclining chairs that have arm rests. The support of my arm/shoulder was very helpful with pain control. I wore my sling when outside the cabin and wasn’t bumped into once, even in the elevator. People were so considerate. I certainly heard a lot of “shoulder stories “. By the 10th day or so, if there was an empty chair at our table, I would place the sling there and eat with my right hand. Yay! Since we already had the cruise scheduled and paid for, it worked out okay. BUT I would wait until further along in recovery to schedule a cruise if I could. I’m currently at 3 months and wouldn’t go yet. Maybe at 6 months. Thank you all for your tips and stories.

I want to thank you for all that you reported back on.  And, how, you wouldn't do it again.  I hope that will help others in similar situations.  Best of health to you.

One week before a 2 week re-positioning cruise, i fell and broke 4 ribs and had a punctured lung.  When it came close to being discharged, I asked to doctors treating me if I would still be able to go on this cruise.   They gave their permission, along with their cell phone numbers with instructions to call if there were any issues. The only issue was not being able to prescribe enough pain meds for the entire cruise.

Our stateroom attendant was wonderful and got a lounge chair for our balcony , Ships doctor was able to deal with an issue with an infection where the chest tube had been inserted,  and provide  pain meds when i ran out. 

Edited by mo&fran

On 5/26/2019 at 9:00 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Did you post on the Disabled Cruise section?

That should have saved you time, as others can tell you which company does this for HAL and you could have a head start.

Good luck!

GC

At this point, the de cision is yours and seeing you have asked your surgeon and  therapist,  only YOu   can   decide.

Good luck

Wishing you good healing and re turn  to better use of your   arm.

image.png.9604a3b302b1fe413e1325bfa092b7ff.png

44 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

One week before a 2 week re-positioning cruise, i fell and broke 4 ribs and had a punctured lung.  When it came close to being discharged, I asked to doctors treating me if I would still be able to go on this cruise.   They gave their permission, along with their cell phone numbers with instructions to call if there were any issues. The only issue was not being able to prescribe enough pain meds for the entire cruise.

Our stateroom attendant was wonderful and got a lounge chair for our balcony , Ships doctor was able to deal with an issue with an infection where the chest tube had been inserted,  and provide  pain meds when i ran out. 

But if you had it to do over again, would you have gone?

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh my. It sounds rather a rather gruesome time to go. Yes, medically they said you could go; but was it worth it? You may have been like me and just didn’t know what to do. They said you could go,,,so that may have swayed you to think it’d be fine. In hindsight, what do you think? I know your doctor would have filled out your insurance forms for you to get a refund (minus the cost of the insurance, assuming you had it). Knowing what you know now, would you still go? 

1 minute ago, Imamom said:

Oh my. It sounds rather a rather gruesome time to go. Yes, medically they said you could go; but was it worth it? You may have been like me and just didn’t know what to do. They said you could go,,,so that may have swayed you to think it’d be fine. In hindsight, what do you think? I know your doctor would have filled out your insurance forms for you to get a refund (minus the cost of the insurance, assuming you had it). Knowing what you know now, would you still go? 

I had a fall and not nearly as bad as you.  Nothing broken (back/hip) but really pretty bad pain.  And I went ashore twice IIRC for max 30 minutes limping - and whining :.  It's the last time I'll travel without trip insurance.  I should not have gone.

1 hour ago, clo said:

absolutely.   That said, there were a number of very special personal reasons for being on this particular cruise.

And  I don't see this choice coming up again.

3 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

absolutely.   That said, there were a number of very special personal reasons for being on this particular cruise.

And  I don't see this choice coming up again.

Ah, well, that makes a big difference.  But there are far more minor things - like my fall - that I've started thinking about for the first time.  (I'm 72)